First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have been an engineer for the past 46 years and every single engineering decision is a compromise of some sort and the single biggest compromise driver is cost.

Did Ford do their testing on the 2.3 with the FL-910S spec filter? Absolutely, and it met the MINIMUM requirements to be certified for production. Can you do better? absolutely. Can you show objective evidence that you are doing better? probably not. It's just like the 2.3 being tested and certified with synthetic blend oil but most everyone agrees that synthetic is better and there are great debates as to which synthetic is the best, yet no one can show objective evidence that their engine will last longer on synthetic verse blend.

A larger filter has several advantages; 1) more filter media means less pressure drop resulting in less likelihood of the filter bypassing and allowing unfiltered oil to circulate through the engine. 2) a larger filter has more surface area to dissipate heat lowering the likelihood of over heating the oil. 3) the increased volume of oil means each molecule of oil has to do less work extending it's life.

When you go to the store and buy a filter an FL-910S, FL-400S, FL-300 and FL-1A are all going to be the same price. But when Ford goes out for quote for a million filters there is going to be a price difference based on size from the material content. Since the FL-910S is the smallest it is going to be the least expensive. That cost savings goes straight to the bottom line. Hence, the engineering compromise is to use the least expensive filter that meets the minimum requirements.
Sooo....... Ford did thier testing and decided the 910S is just fine for the job. You seem to think the 300 and 400S are better just because they are bigger? Well lets look at it this way. If you have to worry about bypass and you arent even getting close to the 10,000 mile interval wouldn't you think that you may have done something like used crappy oil or better yet somehow managed to cause damage to the engine where you might have bigger issues then just getting a bigger filter? Ford certified the Ranger at 10,000 mile oil changes(pending conditions of course) with the 910S. It will do just fine and the 300 and 400S are considered not needed for the Ranger.
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Also do your self a favor and replace the screw type body pins that hold on the rubber wheel liner that covers the filter with some push type ones. The screw ones never work as intended and are a pain to remove where the push ones will just pull right out. Get one of the factory ones out and take it to the auto parts store/ hardware store for sizing and get a half dozen of the others. This style.
I got magnets. Three months and holding on so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089D33ZL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Sooo....... Ford did thier testing and decided the 910S is just fine for the job. You seem to think the 300 and 400S are better just because they are bigger? Well lets look at it this way. If you have to worry about bypass and you arent even getting close to the 10,000 mile interval wouldn't you think that you may have done something like used crappy oil or better yet somehow managed to cause damage to the engine where you might have bigger issues then just getting a bigger filter? Ford certified the Ranger at 10,000 mile oil changes(pending conditions of course) with the 910S. It will do just fine and the 300 and 400S are considered not needed for the Ranger.
Oil filters bypassing happens pretty much at every cold start-up not just based on mileage. A larger surface area of media will reduce the amount of time it stays in bypass. As I mentioned earlier you will not be able to provide objective evidence that your engine will last longer just like you won't be able to provide any objective evidence that your engine will last longer with synthetic oil vs the specified synthetic blend or it will last longer if you do shorter duration oil changes. If you are happy with the FL-910S, synthetic blend oil and 10k oil changes as Ford specifies go for it, I am quite sure the engine will have a long and happy life.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Wrong on multie points. I don’t work for anybody at all. I'm a retired engineer with 40 years at a large publicly traded multi-national consumer products company. I know all about stock-holder value.

We also did not design and maintain multiple seamingly interchangeable parts for no reason.
Well then you know dam well cost drives pretty much everything.

Plus, Ford does not mantain seamingly interchangeable parts for no reason. The FL-400s, FL-300 and FL-1A have not been specified from the factory on a Ford in many many years. Motorcraft still offers them for older vehicles same as FRAM, Purolator, Wix plus pretty much every other company that supplies oil filters to the automotive industry.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Well then you know dam well cost drives pretty much everything.

Plus, Ford does not mantain seamingly interchangeable parts for no reason. The FL-400s, FL-300 and FL-1A have not been specified from the factory on a Ford in many many years. Motorcraft still offers them for older vehicles same as FRAM, Purolator, Wix plus pretty much every other company that supplies oil filters to the automotive industry.
Exactly! Why I've been questioning why people think it's a good idea to use older design filters on their rangers, just because they fit and look bigger.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I did the magnet thing an they worked until I hit some rough roads. They dropped off an the cover was flapping a little. It's held mostly in place by the brake line. I'll pick up some push pins shortly. I bought abag off amazon but they're too fat to fit.
I just bought a bunch of cheap Christmas tree push in fasteners. Usually get several changes out of them before they need to be replaced.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I’ll
Only at 1800 miles and getting things together so when the time comes -
I have what I need in the garage for the first oil change.

From what I seen on YouTube and reading forums it appears that the
...initial oil filter is a different size?...
Is this correct?

If so, what size is the filter that comes on the late model Ranger new?
Thanks for any help on the matter
I’ll think about this the next time the dealer services Ranger…

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Last point I want to make the FL-910S filter has been around since 1982 when it was spec'd for the Mopar 2.2. The FL-400S filter came much latter. The FL-300 and FL-1A have been around since spin on filters were introduced in the early 60s. They all have to meet the same SAE specs.
Sponsored