SPD Performance Downpipe

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Yep, comes with the 2.5” adaptor or you can use the 3” one if you get aftermarket exhaust.
I find this interesting now that I have the FFP Tune and Borla cat back but the Borla is 2.75" diameter so I guess I'd need an additional "adapter". Also curious as to how/why you can hear the turbo more?

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got it all installed. Man, what a difference and sound. I hated it at first but it is growing on me a little.

IMG_1432 (1).jpg

Cat Wrapped.jpg
what exhaust did you have on for the soundclip and what did you wrap the DP in?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
What is the code getting thrown when installing these downpipes? If it's specifically for the secondary or post cat O2 sensor, then this is the likely cause and may be something that will resolve it.

Many ECM's are overly sensitive with the readings, especially with what the secondary O2 sensor reports back. When installing an after market catless or high-flow catted downpipe it significantly changes the flow rates passing by the O2 sensor(s). As a result the ECM incorrectly registers this that there is an issue with the primary converter and generates the ECM hard code. Some custom tunes account for this and relax the sensitivity of the secondary O2 sensor so it will not throw a code. I have not seen any mention of this option with any of the tunes available for the Ranger so the other option is to install an O2 sensor spacer on the post cat sensor. Keep in mind, these are not always 100% effective in eliminating the CEL, but usually do prevent it in most instances.

There's multiple variants available, some with large ports, some with small ones port holes, but all do the same basic thing. They pull the post cat or Rear O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow thus bringing the readings the O2 sensor is reporting back within spec. Finding the right one for the Ranger may be a bit of trial and error, but if there should be ne out there that will work fairly well. Just note that these are cheap so you should never pay more than $20-30 for one.

Here's a couple of examples of O2 sensor spacers.

Spacer with small port hole.
https://www.corvettemods.com/O2-Oxy...r--Eliminates-Check-Engine-Light_p_14354.html

Modular spacer in case there is a clearance issue with adding a straight spacer.
https://www.urotuning.com/products/o2-sensor-spacer?variant=8311027728439

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What is the code getting thrown when installing these downpipes? If it's specifically for the secondary or post cat O2 sensor, then this is the likely cause and may be something that will resolve it.

Many ECM's are overly sensitive with the readings, especially with what the secondary O2 sensor reports back. When installing an after market catless or high-flow catted downpipe it significantly changes the flow rates passing by the O2 sensor(s). As a result the ECM incorrectly registers this that there is an issue with the primary converter and generates the ECM hard code. Some custom tunes account for this and relax the sensitivity of the secondary O2 sensor so it will not throw a code. I have not seen any mention of this option with any of the tunes available for the Ranger so the other option is to install an O2 sensor spacer on the post cat sensor. Keep in mind, these are not always 100% effective in eliminating the CEL, but usually do prevent it in most instances.

There's multiple variants available, some with large ports, some with small ones port holes, but all do the same basic thing. They pull the post cat or Rear O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow thus bringing the readings the O2 sensor is reporting back within spec. Finding the right one for the Ranger may be a bit of trial and error, but if there should be ne out there that will work fairly well. Just note that these are cheap so you should never pay more than $20-30 for one.

Here's a couple of examples of O2 sensor spacers.

Spacer with small port hole.
https://www.corvettemods.com/O2-Oxy...r--Eliminates-Check-Engine-Light_p_14354.html

Modular spacer in case there is a clearance issue with adding a straight spacer.
https://www.urotuning.com/products/o2-sensor-spacer?variant=8311027728439
When I put on the DP and exhaust, I uploaded a 5Star custom tune. It has yet to throw any codes. I have driven about 700 miles with it all installed.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
When I put on the DP and exhaust, I uploaded a 5Star custom tune. It has yet to throw any codes. I have driven about 700 miles with it all installed.
I have the catted DP and have never thrown a code. I even drove for a few hundred miles while waiting for my revised tune, no codes then either.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
I find this interesting now that I have the FFP Tune and Borla cat back but the Borla is 2.75" diameter so I guess I'd need an additional "adapter". Also curious as to how/why you can hear the turbo more?
Go take a look at Andy's first post. The DP is bigger and more free flowing. This was probably my favorite bolt on as it made the spool more noticeable

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Go take a look at Andy's first post. The DP is bigger and more free flowing. This was probably my favorite bolt on as it made the spool more noticeable
I should have reviewed more of the content - just lazy - thanks for the pointer...I just couldn't understand how one could hear audible difference from the turbo. Can see the size difference and appreciate that impact.

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Sorry if I missed it but does this come with a new turbo to downpipe gasket? If not does anyone have the ford factory number, I'm always concerned reusing exhaust gaskets.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It’s a reusable metal gasket. No need for a new one as long as you don’t destroy the original.
I don’t know the part number to answer your question. I reused the original. Zero issues.

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Just an FYI on new Stainless SPD downpipes. I just installed mine a few days ago and found that SPD is NO longer shipping the downpipe with adapters. It comes with the 2.5" welded end pre installed. If you choose to go 3" like I have. You must cut the end off. Not a deal breaker, but they need to update the website to reflect what your buying.
For what its worth I had a rough ride with SPD, I got the downpipe and its the revised model. They indicated that on our trucks a full 3inch exhaust isn't of benefit, but it really sucks to lose the 3inch option given if you ever want to do an upgraded turbo your hacking up a 550 dollar-ish downpipe to accommodate.

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
For what its worth I had a rough ride with SPD, I got the downpipe and its the revised model. They indicated that on our trucks a full 3inch exhaust isn't of benefit, but it really sucks to lose the 3inch option given if you ever want to do an upgraded turbo your hacking up a 550 dollar-ish downpipe to accommodate.
I am glad I received an early production one...

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Mine is an early production model also. 3" all the way.

ssok92

First Name
Seaton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
LEO
Just installed the SPD downpipe. The flow difference is apparent. Faster spool time and you can hear the turbo finally. The size difference is also significant.
6D2726A1-3E59-4ED0-A9C2-930B17629746.jpeg
299B21C5-4641-478D-A2D8-C0BC0776A0C0.jpeg
I just got the downpipe delivered same as yours. I'm new to this and wanted to know if yours came packaged with any additional hardware for the install. I just got the downpipe.

Screenshot_20210105-152612_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored