Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
My experience...
Well I think this is my last performance mod (already have the S&B CAI, AFE charge pipes, and LMS tune). I can't justify a $900 IC here in MI where it wouldn't do much for most of the year. Anyway, I got the SPD stainless downpipe a few months ago but was finally able to get it installed today.

I have the '22 Tremor, for which I had to get an updated downpipe from SPD (different from the 19-21's). It didn't quite bolt on where the stock hangar was as easily as it could have, but with a quick call to SPD (Jeremy rocks), they confirmed it was the right part and the mechanic got it on.

When driving, I hear no audible change from the stock pipe (thank goodness) - although when parked and you have the doors or windows open, there is definitely a lower/rumbly afternote. The truck does seem to be a bit more eager to accelerate, but the roads were wet here today and I couldn't hit it that hard. I'm also eager to see how she picks up on the highway now and if this helps mileage on trips.
Sponsored

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
No plans for an exhaust to go with the downpipe? Did you end up putting a defouler on the dp?

OP
OP

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
No plans for an exhaust. I havenā€™t seen any dynos that showed any real increase on the Ranger from doing that, and SPD told me it wasnā€™t really needed due to exhaust gases cooling (shrinking) as soon as they left the turbo.

I donā€™t know what a defouler is or why Iā€™d need one. In all the reading I did about down pipes, thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of themā€¦ šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
No plans for an exhaust. I havenā€™t seen any dynos that showed any real increase on the Ranger from doing that, and SPD told me it wasnā€™t really needed due to exhaust gases cooling (shrinking) as soon as they left the turbo.

I donā€™t know what a defouler is or why Iā€™d need one. In all the reading I did about down pipes, thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of themā€¦ šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
If you get a CEL the defouler helps the sensor in the dp not throw a code.
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/vibrant-02-sensor-defouler-j-style-thread-on-bung

OP
OP

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
If you get a CEL the defouler helps the sensor in the dp not throw a code.
Ah, from what I hear, the SPDs donā€™t throw CELsā€¦ I guess weā€™ll see! šŸ˜„

Ace

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I'm curious myself. I'm on the fence with a CVFab VS SPD downpipe but pretty reluctant about it because I don't want to have a check engine light come on.

Superspirit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 ranger
Would have to be spd for me as cvf doesn't make one for a 22 yet.

DranC

First Name
Drandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Healthcare Corp Analyst
My experience...
Well I think this is my last performance mod (already have the S&B CAI, AFE charge pipes, and LMS tune). I can't justify a $900 IC here in MI where it wouldn't do much for most of the year. Anyway, I got the SPD stainless downpipe a few months ago but was finally able to get it installed today.

I have the '22 Tremor, for which I had to get an updated downpipe from SPD (different from the 19-21's). It didn't quite bolt on where the stock hangar was as easily as it could have, but with a quick call to SPD (Jeremy rocks), they confirmed it was the right part and the mechanic got it on.

When driving, I hear no audible change from the stock pipe (thank goodness) - although when parked and you have the doors or windows open, there is definitely a lower/rumbly afternote. The truck does seem to be a bit more eager to accelerate, but the roads were wet here today and I couldn't hit it that hard. I'm also eager to see how she picks up on the highway now and if this helps mileage on trips.
I had the same thing installed with my Borla exhaust. It was really loud, so loud and "droney" I had to add a Borla resonator as well. Now it's perfect and sounds bad ass..

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
Dranc do you have a sound clip?

OP
OP

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
Ok, now that I have a few days of runtime...
I can say that there is a noticeable performance improvement. I was worried that it would feel as imperceptible as my CAI/charge pipes, but I can definitely tell a difference. Around town there is also perceptibly less "lag" when accelerating. The engine seems much more eager. It also seems easier to accelerate at freeway speeds. It has increased the fun factor for me +10% without adding any noise.
Wish I had put this on when I got it!

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Ok, now that I have a few days of runtime...
I can say that there is a noticeable performance improvement. I was worried that it would feel as imperceptible as my CAI/charge pipes, but I can definitely tell a difference. Around town there is also perceptibly less "lag" when accelerating. The engine seems much more eager. It also seems easier to accelerate at freeway speeds. It has increased the fun factor for me +10% without adding any noise.
Wish I had put this on when I got it!
I like the ā€œwithout any noiseā€ part here. That is almost the opposite as any other thread I read.

OP
OP

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
Yeah I donā€™t know why people think they need a performance 3ā€ exhaust on a 2.3L I4. I think thatā€™s where the noise comes from. I just took a quick look and it seems that performance pipes for a F150 coyote v8 are 3ā€!
Sponsored