2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Really unfortunate to hear that just the downpipe increased the sound too much that it needed to be removed. I really like how quiet mine is currently when towing. Iā€™d be willing to add a bit of noise for a noticeable increase in power, but too much would be unacceptable on my part.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Did the exhaust sound ricey? Looking to buying a downpipe soon. Shitty stage 3 doesnā€™t respond to pm

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Unfortunately, my better half has informed me that the truck is too loud.. hah. I think it sounds great with the turbo whistle and the nice run on deceleration. Sooo Iā€™ll be selling mine at a discounted price of $400? Free shipping. Let me know if you want it and Iā€™ll send it out. :computerrage:
How much louder is it and do you have aftermarket exhaust? If so, which one? I might be interested in buying this.

Evski88

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
how do you pass the smog test if its not street legal? do you have to swamp it out?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
Hello Andy,

I very much appreciate your write-up on the downpipe installation.
Do you know if this change with mating up to stock exhaust would require ECU tuning?
From my Subaru turbo experience, you could use a heat wrap to quiet the radiant noise from this pipe.
The sound coming from the tailpipe wouldn't be affected, but might be OK with the engine bay quieted.

Here is a link to Heat Blanket material from Thermal Zero:
https://thermalzero.com/product/aluminized-heat-blanket-material-36-inch-x-36-inch/
They make fitted Thermal Blankets for Subaru downpipes, but maybe they could be persuaded to make one for the Ranger downpipe?

Another company that I am not very familiar with make custom downpipe thermal blankets, PTP Turbo Blankets. Here is a link to their site:
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/manifold-and-downpipe-blankets

I see Steve posted a link to the aFe downpipe in 304 SS. I found it on Carid's site, but where Steve found it is considerably cheaper

I am brand new to this forum, and I am enjoying it very much. I am getting ready to order a Lariat, non-FX4 soon.

Harry

Last edited:

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Just curious, do these DP's coupled along with a higher flowing exhaust cause boost creep? Has anyone checked or running a gauge?

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure thing, it will be a generalized process.

1. Loosen exhaust clamp closest to the factory flex portion of the exhaust.
2. Unbolt the ridged mount that is attached to the transmission.
3. Loosen top two flange bolts from the top. 15mm wrench works for the passenger side top nut and a 15mm deep well with 3ā€ extensions reaches the inwards upmost nut. Bottom nut can be accessed from below or above. Dealers choice.
4. Pull the flex exhaust portion out of its rubber pin mount and back to slip it off the factory down pipe. (This is a little struggle and I soaked it in lube to help.)
5. Unclip the O2 sensors from the hvac suction line coming out of the firewall. (Access from above and below moving the down pipe to aid in access.)
6. Unplug both O2 sensors one plug is up closest to the hood and the other is along the body on the passenger side about 18ā€ from the turbo (about where your right foot would sit in the passenger seat.)
7. Factory downpipe can come out pretty easy if you arrange it right and watch for the O2 sensor wires as they will get caught up so donā€™t pull on it with any force.
8. The metal gasket is reusable and be carful to not bend it. It only goes on in one orientation so just keep flipping it until it lines up.
9. Take the O2 sensors off the factory down pipe and install them on the new one.
10. Install of the new down pipe is pretty straight forward from here. Just do the operation in reverse. You have more room to work now so itā€™s even faster.

Hope this helps!
Step 3. Anyone have any tips for this? I could not get leverage nor get my hand/ wrench to unbold the top 2 bolts

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Step 3. Anyone have any tips for this? I could not get leverage nor get my hand/ wrench to unbold the top 2 bolts
I've not changed the downpipe on a Ranger before, but two things come to mind.

1. Smaller hands.
2. Bigger muscles.

In all fairness, try pb blaster (even on brand new vehicles) as exhaust components can be stuck after a very short time. Also try removing it with a little heat in the engine, like idle for 5 minutes, put on welding gloves, and immediately try to remove whatever bolt.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure thing, it will be a generalized process.

1. Loosen exhaust clamp closest to the factory flex portion of the exhaust.
2. Unbolt the ridged mount that is attached to the transmission.
3. Loosen top two flange bolts from the top. 15mm wrench works for the passenger side top nut and a 15mm deep well with 3ā€ extensions reaches the inwards upmost nut. Bottom nut can be accessed from below or above. Dealers choice.
4. Pull the flex exhaust portion out of its rubber pin mount and back to slip it off the factory down pipe. (This is a little struggle and I soaked it in lube to help.)
5. Unclip the O2 sensors from the hvac suction line coming out of the firewall. (Access from above and below moving the down pipe to aid in access.)
6. Unplug both O2 sensors one plug is up closest to the hood and the other is along the body on the passenger side about 18ā€ from the turbo (about where your right foot would sit in the passenger seat.)
7. Factory downpipe can come out pretty easy if you arrange it right and watch for the O2 sensor wires as they will get caught up so donā€™t pull on it with any force.
8. The metal gasket is reusable and be carful to not bend it. It only goes on in one orientation so just keep flipping it until it lines up.
9. Take the O2 sensors off the factory down pipe and install them on the new one.
10. Install of the new down pipe is pretty straight forward from here. Just do the operation in reverse. You have more room to work now so itā€™s even faster.

Hope this helps!
No clue how you were able to get the top 3 flange bolts off. I could only get the upper drivers side and couldnā€™t get any leverage for the other 2. I think Iā€™m taking this to a shop to install

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've not changed the downpipe on a Ranger before, but two things come to mind.

1. Smaller hands.
2. Bigger muscles.

In all fairness, try pb blaster (even on brand new vehicles) as exhaust components can be stuck after a very short time. Also try removing it with a little heat in the engine, like idle for 5 minutes, put on welding gloves, and immediately try to remove whatever bolt.
Those damn coolant hoses are in the way

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Those damn coolant hoses are in the way
I used an extension and deep well. Nut closest to the engine can be had from the top if you are in the bay so your arms are long enough. Bottom one can be had in either top or bottom. I found the bottom was easy to access or at least break loose and then undo from the top. The combination of box wrench, extension on a deep well, and a swivel are what I used.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used an extension and deep well. Nut closest to the engine can be had from the top if you are in the bay so your arms are long enough. Bottom one can be had in either top or bottom. I found the bottom was easy to access or at least break loose and then undo from the top. The combination of box wrench, extension on a deep well, and a swivel are what I used.
Having the right tools makes all the difference. An angle ratchet/ swivel made all the difference and a 15mm ratchet wrench. Got it done in about 2 hours
Sponsored