Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Here's D Fresh again acting a FOOL!

The down pipe was the biggest bang for the buck in increasing throttle response, power throughout the rev range, and even improved my fuel economy.

The amount of cringe your posts inspire is way stronger than people doing BASIC bolt on mods that have been done to turbo charged engines since forever.

Get with the program man or change the dang channel.
You're fucking with me, right?

Did you really just respond to my comment....
It reminds me of the Subie scene circa 2004.
With this?
The down pipe was the biggest bang for the buck in increasing throttle response, power throughout the rev range, and even improved my fuel economy.
I've been driving and modding factory turbocharged cars for over 20 years. An untuned for downpipe is, has been, and always will be a recipe for disaster.

Do with your truck as you wish. As I said in my first response to you, hopefully you can run it without a tune, or problems forever.

Of course throttle response is improved, you're moving more air, and boost is building faster. Problem is all that additional air from your increased airflow doesn't get any additional fuel to compensate. Without a doubt at a minimum your engine is seeing sporadic lean conditions, if it's not always running lean. I would be curious to see your dyno chart for the "power accross the range" comment though. But something tells me that if you're to cheap to tune for your downpipe you haven't dyno'd it.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
All in all, I am interested in reading the debate from both sides. Still trying to figure out a few things. I want to test for lambdas in the future with a SPD downpipe. If my lambdas run rich on an E25 mixture, I will add a downpipe in the further future and re-test the lambdas against my baseline. Still figuring out if I am running too lean or too rich and before the E25 mix I was running on the leaner side.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
You're fucking with me, right?

Did you really just respond to my comment....

With this?

I've been driving and modding factory turbocharged cars for over 20 years. An untuned for downpipe is, has been, and always will be a recipe for disaster.

Do with your truck as you wish. As I said in my first response to you, hopefully you can run it without a tune, or problems forever.

Of course throttle response is improved, you're moving more air, and boost is building faster. Problem is all that additional air from your increased airflow doesn't get any additional fuel to compensate. Without a doubt at a minimum your engine is seeing sporadic lean conditions, if it's not always running lean. I would be curious to see your dyno chart for the "power accross the range" comment though. But something tells me that if you're to cheap to tune for your downpipe you haven't dyno'd it.
I’m tuned to moon cowboy, you ain’t the first rodeo clown I’ve had to hogtie! ?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Reactions: Doc

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
It's a Federal thing, not state...
Ahh, was not aware. Makes sense now. I thought being from CA I had additional regulations and they would not tune whatsoever for it. While in other states they might tune for a couple things as others mentioned. But, those users all got their DP a year ago.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I’m tuned to moon cowboy, you ain’t the first rodeo clown I’ve had to hogtie! ?
Then why did you jump on my case for stating that an untuned for DP is not a good idea?
It's a Federal thing, not state...
Ahh, was not aware. Makes sense now. I thought being from CA I had additional regulations and they would not tune whatsoever for it. While in other states they might tune for a couple things as others mentioned. But, those users all got their DP a year ago.
The EPA is really cracking down on tuners. Especially the large national ones. It's been a fear for a while.

You can thank all the coal rollers for that.

Grady

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger FX4, 17 Subaru BRZ Yellow, 11 Evora
Occupation
Manager
If you have the down pipe installed and you get a custom tune it will be tuned for the down pipe if the tuner know it is there or not. If you put the down pipe on after the tune or on factory tune the computer will compensate STFT and LTFT to tune for the down pipe. You are good ether way.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 - Gots mods
Occupation
Network Engineer
I checked with Livernois before getting my spd dp and they confirmed based on cell count and flow their tune parameters account for the additional flow from the high flow catted SPD DP. I've had my DP for over 5k miles without any issues or CEL.

i would not run a highflow or catless dp without a tune however. the stock ecu can only account for so much and that higher spool and increased air density could push you outside of the limits of the stock tables causing a lean condition. there are other issues that can pop up like low speed pre ignition. you really don't want that.

Washingtonwarrior

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
Sure thing, it will be a generalized process.

1. Loosen exhaust clamp closest to the factory flex portion of the exhaust.
2. Unbolt the ridged mount that is attached to the transmission.
3. Loosen top two flange bolts from the top. 15mm wrench works for the passenger side top nut and a 15mm deep well with 3” extensions reaches the inwards upmost nut. Bottom nut can be accessed from below or above. Dealers choice.
4. Pull the flex exhaust portion out of its rubber pin mount and back to slip it off the factory down pipe. (This is a little struggle and I soaked it in lube to help.)
5. Unclip the O2 sensors from the hvac suction line coming out of the firewall. (Access from above and below moving the down pipe to aid in access.)
6. Unplug both O2 sensors one plug is up closest to the hood and the other is along the body on the passenger side about 18” from the turbo (about where your right foot would sit in the passenger seat.)
7. Factory downpipe can come out pretty easy if you arrange it right and watch for the O2 sensor wires as they will get caught up so don’t pull on it with any force.
8. The metal gasket is reusable and be carful to not bend it. It only goes on in one orientation so just keep flipping it until it lines up.
9. Take the O2 sensors off the factory down pipe and install them on the new one.
10. Install of the new down pipe is pretty straight forward from here. Just do the operation in reverse. You have more room to work now so it’s even faster.

Hope this helps!
did you reuse the ridged mount ? I see in the picture it’s off the stock cat,

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
I was not going for noise. Was going for a freer flowing exhaust. The easier to get the exhaust gasses and heat out of the motor, the better
Are you worried about radiant heat at all from the coolant lines that are above the bolt/DP off the turbo?

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
I was not going for noise. Was going for a freer flowing exhaust. The easier to get the exhaust gasses and heat out of the motor, the better
Are you concerned at all about the heat that radiates off the new DP? I am worried about the coolant lines above the down pipe turbo area, also the transmission being cooked. Not sure if I like my down pipe. Does yours run super hot?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Are you concerned at all about the heat that radiates off the new DP? I am worried about the coolant lines above the down pipe turbo area, also the transmission being cooked. Not sure if I like my down pipe. Does yours run super hot?
No concern for me, there seems to be enough clearance, more than stock. But no heat shields like the stock had on it

Some guys have wrapped theirs, I didn't

Usually runs around 550-750 if I'm on it for the cat temps but cools down pretty quickly

On hot days I'll crack the hood after a good drive
Sponsored