First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I would definitely have to ask around the smaller local shops, I asked one of the popular local ones and they also stopped tuning for downpipes. I think the EPA are like on steroids in California. I am sure SOMEONE does it out there. Just one of those things that make me wish I was elsewhere in the states.
Well, where do they take race cars in California ?
“Should“ be able to sign a waiver saying it’s a race car.:)
Sponsored

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I've had the SPD catted DP for awhile. No tune needed. No CEL

However, when I listed my mods for Livernois, and discussed with them after, they did say they made minor adjustments to account for it

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

However, when I listed my mods for Livernois, and discussed with them after, they did say they made minor adjustments to account for it
How long ago was this? I emailed them a few months ago saying they would not tune for a DP. Might be legal talk and they sneak a little adjustment. I appreciate the insight.

Reactions: Doc

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long ago was this? I emailed them a few months ago saying they would not tune for a DP. Might be legal talk and they sneak a little adjustment. I appreciate the insight.
Was about a year ago for the tune. Installed SPD around 16k, tune around 17k, now have 28k. I was telling Livernois I had the SPD catted DP and that SPD said no CEL. Livernois said they make minor adjustments, I believe to the range of the O2 sensors. So maybe down the line if the high flow cat starts failing and would cause a CEL, with the small tweak Livernois made, maybe it wont. Just going off memory. And some speculation

They might not tune for catless DP. Not sure, would have to clarify/ask

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Was about a year ago for the tune. Installed SPD around 16k, tune around 17k, now have 28k. I was telling Livernois I had the SPD catted DP and that SPD said no CEL. Livernois said they make minor adjustments, I believe to the range of the O2 sensors. So maybe down the line if the high flow cat starts failing and would cause a CEL, with the small tweak Livernois made, maybe it wont. Just going off memory. And some speculation

They might not tune for catless DP. Not sure, would have to clarify/ask
Appreciate that very detailed response. Makes sense. Man. I’ll probably get a spd downpipe when I get the Livernois tune in about 20k more miles. Again, thanks for the responses it helped a lot

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate that very detailed response. Makes sense. Man. I’ll probably get a spd downpipe when I get the Livernois tune in about 20k more miles. Again, thanks for the responses it helped a lot

That's strange they wouldnt mod the tune for the DP. They did for mine this time last year. As others have said - the adjustments they make include changing the fuel tables a bit to take advantage of the extra boost, as well as change the parameters for the O2 sensor to adjust for more air flow, and Anthony at Livernois said they also do a few "proprietary" adjustments as well.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
That's strange they wouldnt mod the tune for the DP. They did for mine this time last year. As others have said - the adjustments they make include changing the fuel tables a bit to take advantage of the extra boost, as well as change the parameters for the O2 sensor to adjust for more air flow, and Anthony at Livernois said they also do a few "proprietary" adjustments as well.
I think the EPA is cracking down on tuning for DP, especially since I am from California it might change the situation a little bit since I am not supposed to even have it.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the EPA is cracking down on tuning for DP, especially since I am from California it might change the situation a little bit since I am not supposed to even have it.
You should try again and say you recently moved to Texas. ;)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
10k miles with my SPD dp. Not one issue
Hopefully you can run it without a tune, or problems forever. Doubtful, but one can hope. Personally, I'll try to stay away from overbooked or lean situations. But, hey, do you!

No tune needed, but my tune accounts for it?

I think you might be confused?

Taking safety out of the equation, what would even be the point of a downpipe that's not tuned for? More noise?

The amount of cringe involved in the way some people try to upgrade their ecoboost motors is amazing.

It reminds me of the Subie scene circa 2004.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taking safety out of the equation, what would even be the point of a downpipe that's not tuned for? More noise?
I was not going for noise. Was going for a freer flowing exhaust. The easier to get the exhaust gasses and heat out of the motor, the better

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Well here in GA, there are only 13 counties that require emissions testing and most tuners will tune catless downpipes if you sign a waiver for "off-road use only". LOL.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully you can run it without a tune, or problems forever. Doubtful, but one can hope. Personally, I'll try to stay away from overbooked or lean situations. But, hey, do you!

No tune needed, but my tune accounts for it?

I think you might be confused?

The amount of cringe involved in the way some people try to upgrade their ecoboost motors is amazing.

It reminds me of the Subie scene circa 2004.

Here's D Fresh again acting a FOOL!

The down pipe was the biggest bang for the buck in increasing throttle response, power throughout the rev range, and even improved my fuel economy.

The amount of cringe your posts inspire is way stronger than people doing BASIC bolt on mods that have been done to turbo charged engines since forever.

Get with the program man or change the dang channel.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Suggestions on whether it is ok to add or not add a downpipe without tuning for it is just pissing in the wind without any actual data to support how the truck responds to that. Personally, I'd never add a downpipe without tuning for it. Without some data logs, no idea whats happening on the rangers, but on other boosted cars, it's a good way to vent your block. Just my anecdotal opinion.
Sponsored