BoostCruising

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XL FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have the entire old man emu lift kit. It made a very big difference from truck for both on-road and off-road. I wouldn't say that it's smooth but it is definitely cleaned up on road capability and really improve the off-road capability.
Nice I almost went with Old Emu but Eibach Kit went on sale. Im probably going to invest in OME leafs soon,
Sponsored

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
You must have never road in a Raptor or ZR2 then. Super Smooth
There's a difference between a street suspension and an off-road suspension. Comparing a on/off road truck to a truck designed for off road is apples and oranges.

Reactions: Doc

BoostCruising

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XL FX4
Vehicle Showcase
There's a difference between a street suspension and an off-road suspension. Comparing a on/off road truck to a truck designed for off road is apples and oranges.
Go ride in a stock Colorado even, these Rangers ride like Bricks from factory. The FX4 Suspension on 4X4 Models is a joke at best. There is no reason for a 2019 Ranger to feel like a early 2000s Tacoma.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sheesh, some folks say the ride is bouncy, others it rides like a brick, some say Fox kit stops the bounce others say they make it ride softer, some the FX4 is too stiff, others too soft. Differences of perception I guess, but it is so confusing.
All I know is my truck could use additional low speed suspension damping.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Sheesh, some folks say the ride is bouncy, others it rides like a brick, some say Fox kit stops the bounce others say they make it ride softer, some the FX4 is too stiff, others too soft. Differences of perception I guess, but it is so confusing.
All I know is my truck could use additional low speed suspension damping.
Ride quality perception is probably the second-most subjective part of a vehicle after exhaust tone.

Personally, I like a bit stiffer of a ride (from say ICON 2.5s all around), but I'm also well aware that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
$2200.00..
regards
Installed? Most folks here don't have the fabrication or welding skills to install that kit themselves.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Installed? Most folks here don't have the fabrication or welding skills to install that kit themselves.
Depends on what you are installing and who is doing the install. If you were to have the entire Old Man EMU kit installed you would be talking about 8 hours of labor and that includes the alignment. Where I work that is equivalent to just over $1,200.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Depends on what you are installing and who is doing the install. If you were to have the entire Old Man EMU kit installed you would be talking about 8 hours of labor and that includes the alignment. Where I work that is equivalent to just over $1,200.
My question was directed to Doc. The kit he is using replaces the leaf springs with coil overs and ads a 4 bar set-up and panhard bar. It's not just bolting in new components.

Woody56

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Hey folks, I may be going at this from a different angle than some others, but I'm interested in lowering the rear spring rate (not necessarily ride height, although that would likely be a result). I'm interested in improving the unloaded ride quality in the rear. Is this something that aftermarket companies will likely offer? (I'm not currently a truck guy). I have a lot of experience in suspension tuning from racing downhill MTB. It makes sense these trucks come with stiffer rear springs for payload/stability reasons. However, since I'm only planning on light loads and likely not going to buy a trailer of any kind. I wouldn't mind if the daily driver/gravel performance was smooth as silk. My plan would be to lower the rear spring rate and then add higher quality shocks like Fox when they become available. Let me know what you folks think or if anyone knows about companies that already offer springs like I am after.
CHEAP TEST/FYI. I Added 650 lbs with sand bags in the bed and it lowered the rear 2" at the bumper. Now my 2019 XLT supercab with sports package looks level front to rear and the harsh rear suspension feedback is totally gone. Its a joy to drive and it's the truck i was hoping for. Perhaps I'll swap out the sand for some lead in the rear bumper to get my cargo space back LOL

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
CHEAP TEST/FYI. I Added 650 lbs with sand bags in the bed and it lowered the rear 2" at the bumper. Now my 2019 XLT supercab with sports package looks level front to rear and the harsh rear suspension feedback is totally gone. Its a joy to drive and it's the truck i was hoping for. Perhaps I'll swap out the sand for some led in the rear bumper to get my cargo space back LOL
And you just lost half your cargo carrying capacity. Not a good trade off in my book.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Go ride in a stock Colorado even, these Rangers ride like Bricks from factory. The FX4 Suspension on 4X4 Models is a joke at best. There is no reason for a 2019 Ranger to feel like a early 2000s Tacoma.
Change it ..

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I think the articulation is terrible, but I really have no complaints on ride after the Bilstein install. I am not saying it can't be better, but my truck doesn't ride like a bucking bronco any more and it hauls and tows good. The tremor keeps the same 7,500 lb towing and near the same payload so it would seem the multi pack was more Ford's way of addressing off road limited wheel travel/articulation. I'll bet the 23' gen 6 Ranger has multi leaf packs across the board.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I think the articulation is terrible, but I really have no complaints on ride after the Bilstein install. I am not saying it can't be better, but my truck doesn't ride like a bucking bronco any more and it hauls and tows good. The tremor keeps the same 7,500 lb towing and near the same payload so it would seem the multi pack was more Ford's way of addressing off road limited wheel travel/articulation. I'll bet the 23' gen 6 Ranger has multi leaf packs across the board.
Coil/links
https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/2023-ranger-raptor-coil-spring-rear-suspension-revealed.6895/

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
There are way more people looking for ride quality and off road/ street performance than there are 7,500 lbs towing and more payload than many (even F-150's) 1/2 ton trucks.
Think so? I'd like to see some survey data that backs your comments.

My experience is the majority of folks buying a mid-sized truck just look at price first, then specifications.

You can't judge a typical Ranger owner by what you see on this site. We're all fanatical about Rangers. Again, my experience is, most vehicle buyers consider their vehicle as a means to an end and don't really care much about the vehicle at all.
Sponsored