Regards
Sponsored

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Rear Adjustable Coilovers...
Regards
That is a good solution if you want to spend the $25k or so to link the rear end of the truck (which I think has been done once and is pretty cool), but on any good aftermarket rear shocks, the shocks are no longer the limiting factor in either compression or rebound situations, the leafs are.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I'm working on progressive rate leaf springs that will result in a softer street ride, more suspension travel, and more off road capability.
Interested in how this works out. Like many, I've found the back end harsh and bouncy and I'd rather buy a proven solution than try my hand at suspension design.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
That is a good solution if you want to spend the $25k or so to link the rear end of the truck (which I think has been done once and is pretty cool), but on any good aftermarket rear shocks, the shocks are no longer the limiting factor in either compression or rebound situations, the leafs are.
$2200.00..
regards

CF411606-EEF5-4DF5-AFC9-14DF4658776A.jpeg

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$2200.00..
regards

Cool! I'm glad someone figured out a less crazy expensive way to do it. Granted I still (for my intended purpose) prefer leaf springs and it was yet another reason I bought the Ranger specifically. But if it is just for decent to well paved road comfort someone is looking for, there are tons of other vehicles better at that than the ranger and cheaper so I've never quite understood the need for the conversion.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Cool! I'm glad someone figured out a less crazy expensive way to do it. Granted I still (for my intended purpose) prefer leaf springs and it was yet another reason I bought the Ranger specifically. But if it is just for decent to well paved road comfort someone is looking for, there are tons of other vehicles better at that than the ranger and cheaper so I've never quite understood the need for the conversion.
I’m setting it up for drag racing..we rednecks here in north fla like to race trucks:)
Regards

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m setting it up for drag racing..we rednecks here in north fla like to race trucks:)
Regards
Haha ok more stable than a sway bar and leafs makes sense for that application. For offroading I'm going the other way, designing leafs and then traction bars.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
$2200.00..
regards

So Doc, did you lose the springs all together? I'm wondering if this route would be something to explore for a street truck?

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So Doc, did you lose the springs all together? I'm wondering if this route would be something to explore for a street truck?
Yes, just adjustable Coilovers. Still in progress.
Regards

E6CC9506-B149-4291-AC73-F57A62DF861B.jpeg

59C03BCB-8431-465E-AEA1-0EE06BC0B9DD.jpeg

0F1BC325-3D7E-4F71-80C4-3569BC279B0E.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I understand the issue you have with the sriff ride. To my understanding most people have been able to fix it with Fox shocks in the rear by itself. I myself went with the Old Man EMU kit by ARB, granted I also wanted a lift since I go offroad. At this time my loads are light if any and I have yet to pull a trailer. I changed all shocks with new leads and coils. The ride quali3was cleaned up on the street and definitely improved offroad. The cool thing is I still have my factory load carrying capacity too!! And I should add I have had 2 people ride in the truck before and after and they notice an immediate difference!! I hope this helps.

BoostCruising

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XL FX4
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a softer ride, a truck isn't for you.

That said, the only way to get a softer ride without sacrificing load capacity is switch to an air ride suspension. But then you would need to install a panhard bar and all necessary components. For the cost of engineering, fabrication, and install, you'd be money ahead buying an SUV.
You must have never road in a Raptor or ZR2 then. Super Smooth

BoostCruising

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks, I may be going at this from a different angle than some others, but I'm interested in lowering the rear spring rate (not necessarily ride height, although that would likely be a result). I'm interested in improving the unloaded ride quality in the rear. Is this something that aftermarket companies will likely offer? (I'm not currently a truck guy). I have a lot of experience in suspension tuning from racing downhill MTB. It makes sense these trucks come with stiffer rear springs for payload/stability reasons. However, since I'm only planning on light loads and likely not going to buy a trailer of any kind. I wouldn't mind if the daily driver/gravel performance was smooth as silk. My plan would be to lower the rear spring rate and then add higher quality shocks like Fox when they become available. Let me know what you folks think or if anyone knows about companies that already offer springs like I am after.
Old man emu has some full replacement leaf packs out for ranger now. This would probably your best bet for major change,

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old man emu has some full replacement leaf packs out for ranger now. This would probably your best bet for major change,
The only problem with the leaf packs is it provides 1.5 inches of lift. Kind of Goofy to do that by itself.

BoostCruising

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The only problem with the leaf packs is it provides 1.5 inches of lift. Kind of Goofy to do that by itself.
Go all Out and Do some up front. I have new Eibach 2.0 Coil-overs on truck and it rides like my 18 ZR2 I traded in. Lol I see your point though stock truck would have some massive rake.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Go all Out and Do some up front. I have new Eibach 2.0 Coil-overs on truck and it rides like my 18 ZR2 I traded in. Lol I see your point though stock truck would have some massive rake.
I have the entire old man emu lift kit. It made a very big difference from truck for both on-road and off-road. I wouldn't say that it's smooth but it is definitely cleaned up on road capability and really improve the off-road capability.
Sponsored