so what is this "rear locker" thing for?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
last weekend my wife and i went to moab and did fins 'n things between hikes and offroad camping, which was super fun and a really unique trail for us.

it definitely stretched the capacity of our truck (stock plus 32" tires) and my offroad capabilities. put some new scars on the undercarriage. no damage that matters though, which seems to be the theme for us. (knock on wood).

anyways, i had been playing around with trail control on a prior trip, but had yet to ever use it other than just trying it out. on fins and things i was lifting a wheel somewhat regularly and three times i got stuck- as in coudlnt make forward progress with a front and maybe an additional rear wheel spinning. instead of gunning the gas, or backing up and trying a different line, i just put it in trail control at 1mph and each time the truck just drove up the obstacle. this was a first for me, using trail control as a functional offroad assist.

i was really happy with it. and it just reinforces what i had read here in other threads that the pseudo-locker in trail control seems to work fine. i have yet to use the real locker in our offroad adventures and now im wondering under what circumstances does the terrain mandate a hardware locker instead of the trail control brake-controlled power diversion? or under what circumstances would the hardware locker be preferred, even if we could get through with trail control?

off the top of my head, the only thing that springs to mind is where a smooth action might be particularly important- maybe for precise wheel placement in super technical terrain. the trail control has some hesitation and lurching on difficult terrain as it hunts around finding a combination of braking and power that works, while perhaps a rear locker would be more likely to do whatever i told it to with the gas pedal?

interested in what the folks who know what they're talking about think-
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If anything with the terrain you are going over a rear lock I would definitely help with getting over Terrain. Miss the trail control feature we have available on our trucks can be very nice. I myself find it's very useful when I do go off-road but unfortunately my truck did not come equipped with a rear Locker on it. Because of that I know I'm very limited on to where I can and can't go. The biggest advantage of a rear Locker is the fact that it helps you go over difficult Terrain that way more or less be impossible without a locker. It also helps keep the trail in good shape more or less.

Here is a video with a better explanation than what i can provide.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
The biggest advantage of a rear Locker is the fact that it helps you go over difficult Terrain that way more or less be impossible without a locker.
gimme an example. where would a locker be mandatory where trail control couldnt pseudo-lock its way through?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lets say you get in a nice situation where one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back get off the ground. With no locker you go nowhere. With locker(rear for example) you can still move forward. I have had this happen with my truck already and a locker makes it much better to get through. If you think trail control replaces the locker I can tell you right now that it will NEVER replace it. It can definitely help with traction offroad but it will NEVER replace a locker.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would also suggest watching the video. It has GOOD information that in universal to the offroad world.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My last 4x4 outing was a learning experience for me. It was amazing to see that a 2 wheel drive Ranger with rear locker actually had an easier time of some of the obstacles than a 4x4 truck without any lockers.

There were a couple of obstacles that we traversed that I played around with using just the rear locker and no 4x4 and my truck ran over the stuff nicely.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Lets say you get in a nice situation where one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back get off the ground. With no locker you go nowhere. With locker(rear for example) you can still move forward. I have had this happen with my truck already and a locker makes it much better to get through. If you think trail control replaces the locker I can tell you right now that it will NEVER replace it. It can definitely help with traction offroad but it will NEVER replace a locker.
interesting. i guess what im saying is thats exactly what i did this weekend, and the TC got me through without having to turn on the mechanical locker.

and it makes logical sense to me that the TC can do anything the locker can, in terms of putting power to the correct wheel. although it may not be as smooth because it requires feedback systems which require time and computing adjustments.

interested in more feedback!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
. Because of that I know I'm very limited on to where I can and can't go. The biggest advantage of a rear Locker is the fact that it helps you go over difficult Terrain that way more or less be impossible without a locker. It also helps keep the trail in good shape more or less.
Yeah if you are out alone on a real hairy trail where you don't want to get stuck the lock can provide a higher degree of traction to keep you moving steadily, plus I think using it should be easier on the rear diff as power is evenly distributed as opposed to brake vectoring. So the lock in certain conditions can give you an additional degree of off road capability , just like bigger tires, higher ground clearance, locking diffs, detachable sway bars can all contribute to enhanced off road capability. But you won't know until you go onto a bad a** awd road or try to plow through 15" of snow.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One other situation that you NEED a locker is off road snow conditions. Last season when I started to play off road i got stuck in snow. Terrain Management would not get me out. A locker coupd of done the trick but I did not have one. Instead i had to hold in my pride and get pulled out by a Toyota 4 runner.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
One other situation that you NEED a locker is off road snow conditions. Last season when I started to play off road i got stuck in snow. Terrain Management would not get me out. A locker coupd of done the trick but I did not have one. Instead i had to hold in my pride and get pulled out by a Toyota 4 runner.
I have an AWD Hyundai which got stuck in about 12" of snow on my street last winter, putting the AWD in lock - giving it a 50-50 front to rear power split was enough to get it up the street, so yeah snow, wet slippery mud are conditions the lock will help maintaining momentum and traction. TCS systems will cut power which in certain conditions can be a detriment.
But I laugh every time I see a TV commercial - I think Honda is the latest where the camera does a quick pan showing a hand turning the TM dial and then shows the vehicle charging up a dirt road. But seems like that little TM dial is now de rigueur for 4wd and awd vehicles.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Reading through this thread I'm a little confused. I know we are talking about the rear locker, but beyond that are we discussing Traction Control, Terrain Management or Trail Control? My understanding is this. Traction Control is basically always there and can be turned off with button on the console. It uses the ABS system along with throttle control the move power to the wheel with traction. Terrain Management adjusts the Traction Control System based on selected terrain conditions. This is enabled using the TM button on the 4WD knob. Trail Control is is basically a slow Cruise Control for use on trails. I believe it is accessed through the screen on the dash. I didn't think Trail Control did anything for traction.

Please correct me if I am way off on this, as I have them all and have only locked my rear differential once in heavy snow and haven't played with Terrain Control at all. Really have no need for Trail Control.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reading through this thread I'm a little confused. I know we are talking about the rear locker, but beyond that are we discussing Traction Control, Terrain Management or Trail Control? My understanding is this. Traction Control is basically always there and can be turned off with button on the console. It uses the ABS system along with throttle control the move power to the wheel with traction. Terrain Management adjusts the Traction Control System based on selected terrain conditions. This is enabled using the TM button on the 4WD knob. Trail Control is is basically a slow Cruise Control for use on trails. I believe it is accessed through the screen on the dash. I didn't think Trail Control did anything for traction.

Please correct me if I am way off on this, as I have them all and have only locked my rear differential once in heavy snow and haven't played with Terrain Control at all. Really have no need for Trail Control.
You are correct sir. That is why I keep stating that it is not a replacement for a locker.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
You are correct sir. That is why I keep stating that it is not a replacement for a locker.
Thanks just wanted to clear up my confusion and maybe somebody else's.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare

the thing i activated is the 'trail control' low speed cruise control option, button down on the middle control by the 2H/4H/4L dial. it clearly changes the way the car manages power. just being in 4WD and pushing gas on these obstacles i was spinning wheels going nowhere. even with gentle modulation of the gas. then i activated the trail control, set it to 1mph, and just let go of the brakes and gas and the truck went up. i can hear it firing the brakes in various places while its tiny computer brain sorts out some way to make progress.

other folks said:
rear diff useful in snow
got it. havent tried that yet. not sure i understand why trail control wouldnt get out out of stuck, unless you need so much extra power for snow/mud/etc that the simultaneous braking power loss holds you back.

well. i guess im happy i have a locker. winter is here in new mexico!
Sponsored