First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Add me to list of people having this trouble. Downshifting from 5th to 4th it lurches, then from 3rd to 1st coming to a stop. Annoying as hell. A 40K truck shouldnt do this and its really my only gripe about it.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I just want to add that I had terribly inconsistent brakes for the first 9K miles, then I had the dealer do the trans and rear brake TSB's. Since then (4K miles) it has been wonderfully consistent, even when towing my 4500# camper trailer. The dealer said I had a rear axle that had out of spec runout (means it's bent), they haven't replaced it yet as they are waiting for parts still, but it's still braking consistently, and smoothly.

I drive it 100+ miles every day, and I don't notice it being any weirder than my wife's Edge.

The brakes were so bad before the TSB's that my wife would actually get car sick.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my Ranger on Saturday.

Zero issues with the brakes. No lurching, no inconsistency.

Im thinking since the brakes have not changed, issues are related to tranny and TSB's concerning the shifting.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just picked up my Ranger on Saturday.

Zero issues with the brakes. No lurching, no inconsistency.

Im thinking since the brakes have not changed, issues are related to tranny and TSB's concerning the shifting.

The brakes had a bad batch of rotors that were warped. They turned them down a little bit, and they've been perfect since.

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I just want to add that I had terribly inconsistent brakes for the first 9K miles, then I had the dealer do the trans and rear brake TSB's. Since then (4K miles) it has been wonderfully consistent, even when towing my 4500# camper trailer. The dealer said I had a rear axle that had out of spec runout (means it's bent), they haven't replaced it yet as they are waiting for parts still, but it's still braking consistently, and smoothly.

I drive it 100+ miles every day, and I don't notice it being any weirder than my wife's Edge.

The brakes were so bad before the TSB's that my wife would actually get car sick.
t4thfavor...

Can you confirm which TSB you are referring too. I know there's other threads, but want to make sure I bring the right numbers with me.

I'm having the lurching when coming to a stop. The spouse is complaining about my driving too.
I have an appointment on Thursday for a busted fog light. I'm gonna see if they would look at the TSBs too.

Thanks!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
We beat this to death in my thread but I was continually told I had a defective system and needed to take it to the dealer. Then I was attacked because I said it was a waste of time taking it to the dealer. Turns out this is what the system does.
I'm still trying to get use to the brakes myself, my last truck had minimal petal take-up before the friction material engaged the rotors. This thing has lots of take up in kind of a spongy feel then POW they grip hard and jerk the truck like you are a newbie driver. Guess we all need to be patient and hope at some point FORD will have enough beta test data from us and do a TSB to eliminate the problem!

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I'm still trying to get use to the brakes myself, my last truck had minimal petal take-up before the friction material engaged the rotors. This thing has lots of take up in kind of a spongy feel then POW they grip hard and jerk the truck like you are a newbie driver. Guess we all need to be patient and hope at some point FORD will have enough beta test data from us and do a TSB to eliminate the problem!
I'll update when I get around to a big brake kit.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
t4thfavor...

Can you confirm which TSB you are referring too. I know there's other threads, but want to make sure I bring the right numbers with me.

I'm having the lurching when coming to a stop. The spouse is complaining about my driving too.
I have an appointment on Thursday for a busted fog light. I'm gonna see if they would look at the TSBs too.

Thanks!

I can't find the exact number for some reason. I DID see it on this site originally, so it's around somewhere.

That said, I usually have better luck just describing the issue (mine was mad pulsing brakes during all stopping), and they go into their little magic computers and find whatever bulletin applies.

Someone else should remember the thread in which the text of the TSB was posted. Something about gathering corrosion during transit causing the brakes to warp in the rear.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I can't find the exact number for some reason. I DID see it on this site originally, so it's around somewhere.

That said, I usually have better luck just describing the issue (mine was mad pulsing brakes during all stopping), and they go into their little magic computers and find whatever bulletin applies.

Someone else should remember the thread in which the text of the TSB was posted. Something about gathering corrosion during transit causing the brakes to warp in the rear.
I think you are referring to this thread:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...ice-bulletins-tsbs-for-2019-ford-ranger.1757/

And specifically, to this TSB (I think):

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tsb-ssm-47789-2019-ranger-–-rough-brake-application.1756/

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are the ones! Thanks for helping me find it.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
300 miles in, i have zero brake issues. Smooth brakin is not an issue. No lurching. No inconsistency.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Again, I know taking it to the dealer was going to result in nothing as the other person did. You kept insisting I do that. None of the sound advice would have resulted in fixing the pedal feel. I know I don't have air in my brakes. I know how my pedal doesn't feel consistent. MANY other people agree with me that the pedal feel is not consistent. So, stop beating a dead horse. You were very tiring but you kept coming back on the thread and commenting. Maybe in the future if you give your advise, once, twice, three times or more and someone doesn't want it you should stop. You also have a history of condescending remarks to others. In fact, hear you are again making jerky comments.

Last edited:

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hey all...

Revisiting this thread again.
I decided to take my truck in next week to have it looked at by the dealer.

I was having the smooth braking problem where the transmission would downshift causing slight hit of power and lurching prohibiting a smooth stop.

Now a couple other things have cropped up.
Cold start, backed out of the garage, and there was a loud clunk putting it into drive.
Same thing happened a short time later after backing out of the parking spot after dinner.

Maybe just being paranoid.
But now I noticed that when the autostart/stop re-starts the truck, there is noticeable body wiggle from the torque, and even a little forward power.

It got me thinking that maybe the transmission was sometimes not fully disengaging.
That might cause the lurching at stoplights, and the autostart torque reaching the drivetrain.

I'll let you know what the dealer says about this next week.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Hey all...

Revisiting this thread again.
I decided to take my truck in next week to have it looked at by the dealer.

I was having the smooth braking problem where the transmission would downshift causing slight hit of power and lurching prohibiting a smooth stop.

Now a couple other things have cropped up.
Cold start, backed out of the garage, and there was a loud clunk putting it into drive.
Same thing happened a short time later after backing out of the parking spot after dinner.

Maybe just being paranoid.
But now I noticed that when the autostart/stop re-starts the truck, there is noticeable body wiggle from the torque, and even a little forward power.

It got me thinking that maybe the transmission was sometimes not fully disengaging.
That might cause the lurching at stoplights, and the autostart torque reaching the drivetrain.

I'll let you know what the dealer says about this next week.
Anyone else experiencing these issues?
A few people have. there is a thread or some comments in a thread. Happens on mine sometimes. Not taking it in because it is so inconsistent and impossible to consistently replicate.

ToddlerCO

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
A few people have. there is a thread or some comments in a thread. Happens on mine sometimes. Not taking it in because it is so inconsistent and impossible to consistently replicate.
Just following up.

I had my dealer appointment this morning.
I even wrote a nice note for the technician describing the issues. The braking/modulation, and clunk going from reverse to drive.

Right away he looked at the odometer, and told me that it was still "learning"
He said it can take up to 5000 miles, or sometimes more depending on use.
Mine only had 2400

Like others have mentioned here. It is NOT learning about you the driver and your habits, but the computer is learning about the characteristics of that particular transmission unit.
The service guy said that until it was fully adapted, it would shift hard occasionally and not be totally smooth until it fully adapted.

So he said it wasn't worth leaving the truck as there was likely nothing wrong.
We went for a short drive, and he said it felt just fine to him and very similar to the F150s with the same transmission.

I kinda get the adaptive thing.
The analogy I thought about was the smart thermostats (nest) that learn how long your house and AC/furnace take to heat up and cool down, so it can turn on and off in anticipation of a temperate schedule you set up.

I'll just learn to drive a little smoother/mellower and hopefully the truck will do the same.
Sponsored