Flat Tow Supplmental Braking Issue

Rmblaster

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'd ask you to test it with the key in the ignition (Off, ACC, ON). My take on this is that the key being present keeps the modules active, similar to the little noise you hear when approaching the truck with the key in your pocket.

just finished trying without key in vehicle abs still active
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Most all states require supplemental braking to be used in flat towed vehicles. I use an RVi3 braking system that attaches to the brake pedal. It proportionally pushes the pedal with an air driven piston when needed with the motor home brakes. During setup it pumps the brake pedal three times to release any stored vacuum from the brake booster. This prevents any brake grab when first braking is applied. When I set it up on the Ranger and first applied braking I heard a ratcheting sound coming from under the hood and the Ranger would come to a quick stop. Tried it a second time and same thing. Last week I took the Ranger to my Ford dealer and had the shop foreman check out the sound. We tested by stopping the truck on a slight grade, putting it into flat tow mode, pumping the brake pedal several times to release vacuum and let it roll forward. When the brake pedal was depressed we heard the ratcheting sound and quick stop. The hood was then opened and the shop foreman walked beside as the test was repeated. He confirmed that the noise and quick stop was from the ABS system stopping the truck! He then disconnected the harness connector to the ABS system and we retested. The truck slowly stopped as the pressure on the brake was increased. He agreed that Ford had apparently not considered flat tow supplemental braking when it left the ABS powered up. He has made a call to his regional Ford engineer regarding this issue and we are awaiting a response. Until this is resolved NO supplemental braking system should be used when flat towing the Ranger (no flat towing behind a motor home).
Chuck, was your problem ever resolved?
I just bought a new 2021 Lariat Ranger w/tow pkg. Having the towing baseplate installed this week along with wiring & RVi braking system. This is done by dealer doing some repairs on RV so hope to pick it all up later this week or next.
I will follow Phil's advice to confirm transmission is in tow mode. But finding your post has kicked in another anxiety on a sleepless night ?
Let me know what was found.

OP
OP
1551retired

1551retired

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Chuck, was your problem ever resolved?
I just bought a new 2021 Lariat Ranger w/tow pkg. Having the towing baseplate installed this week along with wiring & RVi braking system. This is done by dealer doing some repairs on RV so hope to pick it all up later this week or next.
I will follow Phil's advice to confirm transmission is in tow mode. But finding your post has kicked in another anxiety on a sleepless night ?
Let me know what was found.
Dealership shop foreman told me not to worry about it. He made notes in case I ever came back with any breaking problems. I’ve towed it at least 5,000 miles and haven't noticed any braking issues.

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
I use the Patriot II brake system and have had no issues/concerns. I use 50% on all brake system settings, keep the key in the ignition, and follow flat tow instructions from Ford. My co-pilot observes the pickup when we start rolling to verify that the wheels are behaving and lights are working. She's never heard a sound like that from the toad, but frankly once we're strapped in and moving, we'd never hear anything going on back there.

islandboy1220

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
Most all states require supplemental braking to be used in flat towed vehicles. I use an RVi3 braking system that attaches to the brake pedal. It proportionally pushes the pedal with an air driven piston when needed with the motor home brakes. During setup it pumps the brake pedal three times to release any stored vacuum from the brake booster. This prevents any brake grab when first braking is applied. When I set it up on the Ranger and first applied braking I heard a ratcheting sound coming from under the hood and the Ranger would come to a quick stop. Tried it a second time and same thing. Last week I took the Ranger to my Ford dealer and had the shop foreman check out the sound. We tested by stopping the truck on a slight grade, putting it into flat tow mode, pumping the brake pedal several times to release vacuum and let it roll forward. When the brake pedal was depressed we heard the ratcheting sound and quick stop. The hood was then opened and the shop foreman walked beside as the test was repeated. He confirmed that the noise and quick stop was from the ABS system stopping the truck! He then disconnected the harness connector to the ABS system and we retested. The truck slowly stopped as the pressure on the brake was increased. He agreed that Ford had apparently not considered flat tow supplemental braking when it left the ABS powered up. He has made a call to his regional Ford engineer regarding this issue and we are awaiting a response. Until this is resolved NO supplemental braking system should be used when flat towing the Ranger (no flat towing behind a motor home).
We have flat towed our ranger maybe 5k miles using Invisibrake and never experienced any braking issue at all. I have not tried to compare the two braking systems, but I suspect it could be unique to your brand of braking system. My brother also tows a 2019 Ranger FX4 with Invisibrake and has had no issues.

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
A really great brake system for "toads" that is roadmaster 8700 invisibrake hidden power braking system. We installed it on our 2017 Jeep Wrangler we tow behind our 40 foot motor coach. The unit is so small that it did not take a lot of space under the driver’s seat , it creates both air and vacuum which fully energize my towed vehicle’s brakes. The progressive braking system is so good that if I need to stop immediately, it engages the brake pedal and rapidly ramps up the braking. Another great feature is, while it’s towing, the battery is being charged!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
1551retired

1551retired

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
We have flat towed our ranger maybe 5k miles using Invisibrake and never experienced any braking issue at all. I have not tried to compare the two braking systems, but I suspect it could be unique to your brand of braking system. My brother also tows a 2019 Ranger FX4 with Invisibrake and has had no issues.
Why would you think it could be unique to my RVi 3 braking system? Both braking systems actuate the brake pedal with a piston. Have you tried any of the previous tests described to know your ABS is not actuated? My Ford dealer shop foreman tested my Ranger and confirmed the ABS is active with the ignition off.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I use the Invisibrake system also, had it on my CRV and transfered it to the Ranger, I like it because it uses vacuum to activate your brake booster so you need very little air pressure on the ram that pulls the pedal down. They recommend 60 psi to start for the Ranger, I tested it by doing a measured stop from 30mph, both with, and without the Ranger attached, and adjusted the pressure to get the same stopping distance, ended up with 68 psi, pretty close.

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
retired
Why would you think it could be unique to my RVi 3 braking system? Both braking systems actuate the brake pedal with a piston. Have you tried any of the previous tests described to know your ABS is not actuated? My Ford dealer shop foreman tested my Ranger and confirmed the ABS is active with the ignition off.
I am flat towing 2019 Ranger Lariat fx4 with my 2014 Canyon Star using a Stay-n-play braking system. Since installation, I have found whenever I brake hard, like stopping for a highway speed light, the whole rig is jerked during the last 1-2 seconds of braking. I even took a video of it which shows the pedal down normally until the last second before stopping when the pedal goes another inch down. This results in the toad stopping immediately and jerking against the MH. I think this might be the Emergency Brake Assist system which is supposed to increase brake pedal pressure during an emergency stop or maybe the ABS not functioning properly. If so, why on earth would either be active during factory correct flat tow mode? Any one else had this problem as I think the EBA is now common on most cars. I have contacted Demco and they say Stay-n-Play is working properly. Anybody heard anything from Ford?

Attachments

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I am flat towing 2019 Ranger Lariat fx4 with my 2014 Canyon Star using a Stay-n-play braking system. Since installation, I have found whenever I brake hard, like stopping for a highway speed light, the whole rig is jerked during the last 1-2 seconds of braking. I even took a video of it which shows the pedal down normally until the last second before stopping when the pedal goes another inch down. This results in the toad stopping immediately and jerking against the MH. I think this might be the Emergency Brake Assist system which is supposed to increase brake pedal pressure during an emergency stop or maybe the ABS not functioning properly. If so, why on earth would either be active during factory correct flat tow mode? Any one else had this problem as I think the EBA is now common on most cars. I have contacted Demco and they say Stay-n-Play is working properly. Anybody heard anything from Ford?
Hi Ken,

Not sure how to answer you about hearing from Ford. It is covered in the owner's manual how to activate neutral tow. I have no problem towing my Ranger behind my diesel pusher Alfa... Are you leaving your Ranger in Accessory mode to power your aux brake? I wired spare powerpoint directly to the battery fused and switched and it works well...

Best,
Phil

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
I have contacted Demco and they say Stay-n-Play is working properly.
Well, of course they'd say that. ;) I'm not familiar with this braking system. Can you control its sensitivity? I know with my Patriot II system, braking could get a little wild when sensitivity was set above mid-point.

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I follow the user manual procedure to the letter including turning off the ignition (keyless process). I do have a +12 charge line running to the ranger from the rv just to keep the battery up. n the sensitivity is adjustable, and the incidence decreases with decreased sensitivity. However, you have to make it very un-sensitive to make it go away. The sensitivity is adjusted per Demco installation procedure to come on at speeds greater than about 25mph.

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Just tried to disable the abs via fuses and it won't operate. I took out #25 ABS system, #69 ABS valves, and #82 ABS pump, now it wont work at all. I put back fuses "82 and 69, but accidentally left out #25 ABS system. Now it operates again AND no check engine light or trouble codes at all. Guess that fuse was not used. Go figure!! Anyone know of how to defeat abs without disabling auto altogether.

Caseyjay

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I think I have had a breakthrough. I read about the feature call Emergency Brake Assist. It is a part of the Electronic Stability Control system. It is supposed to apply the brakes hard if it senses that the driver is in an "emergency stop situation. This seems a lot like what has been happening to me. However, it has no place being on the a flat tow situation. I learned that if you press the button to turn on the stability, it just turns off the traction control portion. You have to press and hold the button for 3-4sec. until the Stability Control system turns off. This must be done while the car is running. The immediately go to flat tow mode. If the car is started again it will come back on automatically. I tried a test towing the ranger with it engaged and the jerk was there. I disabled the system as described above, tested again and no jerk. Just a nice even stop. My next step is to talk to Ford dealer or Ford engineering about the logic of it remaining on during flat tow. Anyone know a number for Ford Engineering? Also let me say a BIG THANK YOU to all who helped me with the problem. You are the greatest !!

Dalton Bourne

First Name
Dalton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
Occupation
engineer
I like the remote monitoring from inside the RV of the Blue Ox brake system and the peace of mind of having the breakaway feature in case your tow comes unhooked from the RV. For some reason, the brake bracket is a little tricky to get attached to the brake pedal, but once attached, it works perfectly.
Sponsored

Last edited: