mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
My truck has recently started making a very loud sound when braking. It's not a squealing or scraping, it's almost like the sound a windshield wiper makes if it rubs across a dry windshield, but extremely loud. It only does it when braking, but it's not every time I brake. Braking harder or softer doesn't seem to matter. This only started after I had several days of extreme rock crawling and many water crossings. It's a 2020 Sport 4x4. Any ideas?
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
is that a GFC? check your antenna rubbing on the camper. ask me how I know

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
if you beat the hell out of your truck " extreme rock crawling" things are going to fall off LOL
check the Wheel Bearing I go through what seems like one a year :(

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
could it be the brakes glazed over from heat and then water crossing forcing a fast cool down?

Ninong

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Any feedback on the brake pedal or steering wheel? Time to take off the front tires and do a good visual inspection. Then the rears if you don't find anything up front. Brakes are nothing to mess around with.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Rock stuck in caliper? Brake pad worn past service?

I very suddenly had a scraping sound from my brakes. What I found surprised me. It seems my driver-side rear caliber was stuck and the inboard brake pad was worn to the backing plate. It happened very quickly, and it destroyed the rotor. The face of the rotor on the inboard side was destroyed - grooved and had signs of heat cycling (it looked like a rainbow!). Every other single brake pad on my truck still had 10s of thousands of miles of service left on them except that inside, rear driver-side pad.

I was VERY lucky to be able to source a new rotor at the time (heavy supply chain issues). What sucked worse was resetting that rear caliper as it was truly and goodly STUCK! But, I eventually got it freed up and I have thousands of miles on the truck since then without issues.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Rock stuck in caliper? Brake pad worn past service?

I very suddenly had a scraping sound from my brakes. What I found surprised me. It seems my driver-side rear caliber was stuck and the inboard brake pad was worn to the backing plate. It happened very quickly, and it destroyed the rotor. The face of the rotor on the inboard side was destroyed - grooved and had signs of heat cycling (it looked like a rainbow!). Every other single brake pad on my truck still had 10s of thousands of miles of service left on them except that inside, rear driver-side pad.

I was VERY lucky to be able to source a new rotor at the time (heavy supply chain issues). What sucked worse was resetting that rear caliper as it was truly and goodly STUCK! But, I eventually got it freed up and I have thousands of miles on the truck since then without issues.
Hey john, my truck is sitting in the shop right now for exactly that same issue. rear brake caliper was hanging / stuck and wore the pad and warped the rotor. ive been waiting a week so far for parts. So, is it that you and I are just awesome drivers or is this something like the bearings where a bad batch made it to the assembly lines? Im at 32 ish thousand miles now. No major braking use other than what trail control does off road. Most of that feels like front brakes being used but I do not know for sure.

OP
OP
mapco

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Still not sure exactly what was causing the issue but I seem to have mitigated it. I took off the caliper and rotor and just inspected them. This was on the front left. Nothing was obviously wrongs, no play in the wheel bearing. Put everything back together and haven't heard the sound again and I've driven for a few days now.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey john, my truck is sitting in the shop right now for exactly that same issue. rear brake caliper was hanging / stuck and wore the pad and warped the rotor. ive been waiting a week so far for parts. So, is it that you and I are just awesome drivers or is this something like the bearings where a bad batch made it to the assembly lines? Im at 32 ish thousand miles now. No major braking use other than what trail control does off road. Most of that feels like front brakes being used but I do not know for sure.
I'm thinking it has to do with the electrical nannies braking the rear a lot. Between trail driving and towing with sway control turned on, I bet my rear brakes saw some heat cycling that that one caliper of mine didn't like. When I was turning the calipers in, that one scared the crap out of me. But, it eventually went back in and has been working great since. It even did a 10 hour drive hauling a fully loaded 12' x 6' uhaul trailer.
Sponsored