Smooth Braking/Brake modulation

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
One thing I've noticed about this truck is it is very difficult to smooth brake. By that, I mean, as you are completing the stop, you start to gently ease up on (modulate) the brake so when you finally stop, it's super smooth and you passengers don't feel that last little movement from the front end releasing..in fact, if it's done right, they feel nothing.

Every single car. Japanese, American, German, automatic, manual, CVT. All of them, I have been able to smooth brake, but not with the Ranger. The brakes are inconsistent going from firm to soft or soft to softer or soft to firm, but also there is just something else weird going on, like the transmission as getting into the action as well deciding when to downshift as it comes to a stop

Did a test this morning and shifted into neutral before coming to a stop. Came in slow, medium, and hot and every single time, I could smooth brake very easily. Probably doesn't matter to most people I guess, but if I was a tester giving input, I'd say they need to work on their overall system because it is pretty rough around the edges.

As an aside....the transmission doesn't like that at all. When I came to a stop. Sat a bit and shifted into drive, you tell the transmission was struggling to figure out what to do and would finally clunk into drive. Won't be doing that from now..it was just to satisfy my curiousity.
Sponsored

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I would describe the brakes as "consistently inconsistent".

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would describe the brakes as "consistently inconsistent".
They are, but I'm coming to realize it's not just the brakes, it's the whole engine, transmission, braking, computer system.

Straight road, this truck glides and is a nice cruiser, but it's annoying as heck to drive in traffic.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
We beat this to death in my thread but I was continually told I had a defective system and needed to take it to the dealer. Then I was attacked because I said it was a waste of time taking it to the dealer. Turns out this is what the system does.

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We beat this to death in my thread but I was continually told I had a defective system and needed to take it to the dealer. Then I was attacked because I said it was a waste of time taking it to the dealer. Turns out this is what the system does.
Yep, I contributed to that thread. This smooth braking was really bothering me..I didn't realize how much it had become part of my driving until I couldn't do it in the Ranger. Also stop and go where you are just trying to smoothly modulate is very difficult.

Just wanted to do this test by dropping it into neutral because I felt the overall system design or programming was interfering with the smoothness and I was right. It is possible to modulate/smooth brake but you have to take the engine/transmission out of the equation.

My Dad has a 2009 F150 with what I'd call soft brakes and I can modulate/smooth brake that truck very easily.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
The pedal feel still is inconsistent. I only get occasional lurching coming to a stop. Very seldom though.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My truck does not exhibit the symptoms described above.
I presently own 4 vehicles which span 40 years, all have good brakes.
None behaves exactly like the others.
It took a couple weeks to get used to the brakes on my TC which has variable input response.
After a short learning curve, I discovered that the TC has the best street brakes I had yet experienced.

The Ranger has added brake functions which may be redundant at best, and elicit consternation at worst,but they are consistent as to driver input, just as every other vehicle mentioned above.
The issue here is not about the brakes which are amazing, but rather about the input...
Unfortunately... technology is now being used to usurp driver control and will likely continue to do so and increase.
The only choice left is to learn how the brakes respond and to get used to them.
I think they are consistent in the sense that they respond the same way to the same input every time.
The driver just must learn some new inputs.

These new brake controls don't exactly instill confidence at first, but I now have a couple thousand miles on my Ranger and can comfortably trust the brakes.

Last edited:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I notice this same issue, pretty annoying. No problem stopping but it feels like it sort of fighting itself.

OP
OP
mike

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice this same issue, pretty annoying. No problem stopping but it feels like it sort of fighting itself.
That's a good way to put it. And right...0 problems with the stopping power. It's just difficult to be smooth. If you are a hit the brakes and stop kind of person, you won't notice anything, but if you like to be smooth with your stops and in stop and go, it is noticeable. With the whole system working together, it's tough, when I put it in neutral, it's very very easy to be smooth.

User79

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Mine is the same, it downshifts to 1st too soon causing trans brake. You can watch the gauge while it downshifts & as soon as it hits 1st you feel that extra stopping power. I've come to anticipate it & have learned to let off the brake a tad but I still can't get the timing down all of the time.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I played with this a little tonight. It’s definitely the shift to 1st where you lose the smoothness. I tried to force a higher gear in S mode and it still wanted to downshift. Nobody (manufacturers I mean) wants to let a transmission coast anymore; they’re all so aggressive downshifting so they can shut off injectors for mileage :(

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase

Protomeister

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - black/ebony with BAP
I've been experiencing something similar (and came here looking to see if anyone else was struggling with smooth braking). My wife actually asked me this morning, "still getting used to the brakes" because of the lack of smoothness/lurching. It is unsettling, to say the least, though I am glad to see it's not a issue/defect with my particular vehicle. That softness was pretty concerning. I prefer a more "direct" feel.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I do not have any issues braking to a smooth stop.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase