Smooth Braking/Brake modulation

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by mike, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Gray Horizons Helicopter

Gray Horizons Helicopter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 F150 FX4
    Garage Profiles:
    Pretty sure you're lumping everyone else onto my back because you think I'm an easier target. You'll likely find others fit your description more than me.

2. mike

mike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
    A few people have. there is a thread or some comments in a thread. Happens on mine sometimes. Not taking it in because it is so inconsistent and impossible to consistently replicate.

3. ToddlerCO

ToddlerCO Member

First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
    Just following up.

I had my dealer appointment this morning.
    I even wrote a nice note for the technician describing the issues. The braking/modulation, and clunk going from reverse to drive.

Right away he looked at the odometer, and told me that it was still "learning"
    He said it can take up to 5000 miles, or sometimes more depending on use.
    Mine only had 2400

Like others have mentioned here. It is NOT learning about you the driver and your habits, but the computer is learning about the characteristics of that particular transmission unit.
    The service guy said that until it was fully adapted, it would shift hard occasionally and not be totally smooth until it fully adapted.

So he said it wasn't worth leaving the truck as there was likely nothing wrong.
    We went for a short drive, and he said it felt just fine to him and very similar to the F150s with the same transmission.

I kinda get the adaptive thing.
    The analogy I thought about was the smart thermostats (nest) that learn how long your house and AC/furnace take to heat up and cool down, so it can turn on and off in anticipation of a temperate schedule you set up.

I'll just learn to drive a little smoother/mellower and hopefully the truck will do the same.

Tracy Bowman likes this.
  4. heavily_attenuated

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew
    I have had the clunk/bang into drive before a couple of times too. Thanks for posting your experience with the dealership.

Tracy Bowman likes this.
  5. Kataphrakt

Kataphrakt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle(s):
    Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
    Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
    I've been keeping an eye on my truck's shifting behavior when stopping and noticed it doesnt shift down into 1st until the last minute. I'm able to smooth brake fairly easily due to this.

Hounddog409 likes this.
  6. Hounddog409

Hounddog409 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle(s):
    F150
    Garage Profiles:
    yup...no issue with smooth braking.

7. t4thfavor

t4thfavor Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chance
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
    The "Still learning" excuse sounds like bullshit to me. What happens when you change the battery, does it have to re-learn for another 5000 miles? My truck has 14K miles on it now, and it shifted like a bucking bronco until they did the TSB... I think there's likely a software fix for yours that your dealer is trying to wait you out of.

I'd keep complaining, tell them you don't feel like it's safe (it's really not if it's behaving like that). There's a lawsuit currently for the F150 describing loss of power, inconsistent power, slipping, clunking, etc.

I would also put in a call to Ford Corporate Customer Care as things have a tendency to move along once they get involved.