TSB: SSM 47789 - 2019 Ranger – Rough Brake Application

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
SSM 47789 - 2019 Ranger – Rough Brake Application

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles may exhibit a rough brake pedal during a brake application. This may be due to brake rotor run-out and/or corrosion. Before making a repair, document any run-out readings and if corrosion is found attach images to report to assist engineering. To assist with the investigation use the Report a Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the OASIS report and fill out the form. Monitor OASIS for updates.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
Sponsored

spudlips

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 - FX4, Sport, 501A, Trailer Towing, spray bed, etc
SSM 47789 - 2019 Ranger – Rough Brake Application

Some 2019 Ranger vehicles may exhibit a rough brake pedal during a brake application. This may be due to brake rotor run-out and/or corrosion. Before making a repair, document any run-out readings and if corrosion is found attach images to report to assist engineering. To assist with the investigation use the Report a Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the OASIS report and fill out the form. Monitor OASIS for updates.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
I had this issue and gave the dealer this TSB, (thank you 5G group)! Dealer said it was brake rotor run-out and had to shave off some from the rear rotors.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
At higher speeds i'm experiencing some vibration. Feels like the rear. Got it at 28 miles and at a 100 now and I'm still feeling it.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Mine's gone away. It was probably the anti rust coating.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have some front brake issues right as I come to a stop, sometimes. it's like you are running over little bumps, or maybe the break assist is helping too much. I have no vibration at high speeds and my brakes work fine overall.

swampchomp07

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I had this issue and gave the dealer this TSB, (thank you 5G group)! Dealer said it was brake rotor run-out and had to shave off some from the rear rotors.
Can you
Mine's gone away. It was probably the anti rust coating.
Any idea how many miles it took for it to go away? Trying to decide whether to take it in or wait for it go away.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can you

Any idea how many miles it took for it to go away? Trying to decide whether to take it in or wait for it go away.
Hi Curt,

Bed in your brakes. If after this process it is still present, the take the vehicle to the dealership. Accelerate your vehicle to 30mph. Stomp on the brakes less than lock up. Do this again and then a third time but on the third time, do not touch the brakes and let the vehicle cool for 30 minutes. Then test your brakes in normal driving...If better...you fixed it.if not take it to the dealer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Can't remember at this point. Few hundred miles maybe. About to see if the terrible brake pedal feel goes away with the new big brake kit.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Mine is at the truck doctor today getting 1. the axle replaced, 2. the rear brakes replaced. If the brakes still behave like this when I get it back, I'll be sending it back yet again, and if I have to, start a buyback request. I love the truck, but the brakes keep getting screwed up, and they are kind of an important part of the function of the truck...

I had the rear brake issue which is covered under another TSB, but I think they might be related. The axle is getting replaced because it was factory defective, and it took 6 months for Dana/Spicer to produce one that wasn't defective.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had plenty of performance and regular cars, the brakes on this truck are acting foolish, and no amount of bedding them in will fix it. I'm also at 18,000 miles, so they should totally be bedded in by now...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
on thing i read while researching the process for details, is that you want to brake moderately the first 300-500 miles.
what happens if you cant?
and that first drive home from the dealer you have to mash that pedal thru the floor or eat someones bumper.

are you destined for crap brakes until you change them out? can they be saved?

I dunno. mine work great and I dont know the feeling others are experiencing.
No, you'll be fine. The rotors now days are strong, and the brake pad material is a lot more forgiving than years past.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you getting your brakes back?
if you do, take pics and post them so we can see if anything looks obviously wrong
They don't give you back any parts replaced under warranty. So no, I won't be getting them back. I can try to get some pictures of it if they let me see them when I pick the truck up.

Renman333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Lariat
Had my rear brakes turned down as per TSB , and it smoothed it out immensely.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had my rear brakes turned down as per TSB , and it smoothed it out immensely.
Me too, at 8k and they were trashed again at 16k. Just make sure you keep any eye on them as they had to replace a half shaft on mine to correct it.
Sponsored