Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I do as well as using a USB drive that I put songs on from my extensive iTunes library.
@Augie81 Can you tell me how you were able to take songs from your iTunes library and put them on a USB drive ? I've tried and after many searches and youtube videos, no luck. I paid for the songs and would like to have a backup when my 10+ year old iPod dies. I even bought a tiny 32G USB drive just for this. Thanks !
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
To answer the question in the first post of this thread.
Every once in awhile sync3 switch to Sirius on startup. 90% listen to thumb-drive MP3s.
Anyway to disable/remove Sirius as a source in sync 3.
I just removed it as a source on my SYNC3. It is a simple Forscan change to the APIM as-buildt.

APIM 7D0-01-01 Dxxx xxxx xxxx
decrease the number in "D" by 2. If it is a 2 make it 0, if it is A make it 8.

Bingo no more SiriusXM as a source. Won't stop the snailmail or phone calls but should stop it from jumping to it on startup.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@Augie81 Can you tell me how you were able to take songs from your iTunes library and put them on a USB drive ? I've tried and after many searches and youtube videos, no luck. I paid for the songs and would like to have a backup when my 10+ year old iPod dies. I even bought a tiny 32G USB drive just for this. Thanks !
This is what I do.

Open iTiunes on your computer. Plug in your USB drive to your computer as well. If on PC open file explorer and select your USB drive from the left menu. If on a Mac computer open finder and select your USB drive.

With both iTunes and your file explorer/finder open, right click the song from your iTunes library you want to put on your USB drive. You should be in the "songs" menu on the left side of iTunes under library to do so. Select "copy" after right clicking. Then go to your file explorer window/finder you have open for your USB and right click and select "paste". This will copy the song to your USB drive.

Do note that some songs might have extra copyright protection. While you can copy and paste them they won't play on any media outside of iTunes. Those songs will be listed as "Protected AAC" under "Kind" in your iTunes list if you go to the Songs menu. I ran into that with a few older songs I had. But those may have been songs I imported from CDs. I don't recall. The reason I found this out is that it seems I had copied a few protected songs to my USB and when using the drive in my Ranger once the playlist hit one of those songs it would freeze completly and I could not even click to select playing the next or previous song.

Edit: Additional notes. The iTunes songs must be downloaded from iTunes to your computer to copy and paste. If it has the little cloud icon with a down arrow next to the song it is not downloaded and only on the iTunes cloud. Click the icon to download it.

Also you can copy and paste more than one song at a time. Hold CTRL (COMMAND for Mac) and click the songs you want to select then right click and copy and paste as above. If you click a song and then hold SHIFT on say a few songs further down it will select all of them from the first song you selected to the one you clicked while holding SHIFT. This is handy if there are a lot of songs in a row you want to copy.

Also, as far as backed up iTunes and an old iPod, as long as you still have an active iTunes account the songs you bought should always be available to you via a computer with iTunes installed. As I recall iTunes allows up to 10 devices (limited to 5 computers) to be associated with your iTunes library.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Okay that makes sense as you know more about Verizon than me. I was just trying to offer looking into options that might help. But yes, using a personal hotspot on your phone will use your data. It is basically a "public" wifi stetup of sorts that uses your phone's data and allows others you give permission to connect and use the same connection.

As for AT&T I can say the coverage is poor at times in my area. That is who I use for my phone. I live just 15 miles from a major city and only get 2 bars at home. When I took my road trip a bit ago I lost service completely just about 40 miles out of the metro area until I got closer to the next town. The coverage in my area certainly is not the best. But I have been with them for a long time and have a good deal on my unlimited data plan. Since I don't travel in more rural areas often I can live with it.
AT&T sucks. Worst coverage of any major carrier. When we moved a couple of miles outside of town we had no cell coverage. With Verizon we have 3 or 4 bars. Same thing in town though. We could be in the middle of town and the signal would vary from No Signal to 3 bars. Totally unreliable. So glad I switched us a couple of years ago.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
No one uses their phone to stream music?
That's %99 of my listening. I finally joined the modern age a few months ago and fed all my wife's and my CD's through the computer, Took 4 days to get it all done but now I have everything on our phones. Let it pair and hit the shuffle button, music for days without hearing the same song again.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I've had satellite radio on my last three vehicles. I quit paying for the service when they started charging an ASCAP fee. For at least 5 years, I got a weekly letter from SirusXM. The emails are easy to stop, but the letter trail? No way! Even today, 15 years later, I get a letter from them, at least once a month. They much be going broke!??

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My 6 month trial just ended. If it were ten bucks a month I'd keep it but it's not worth the full price they charge.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I don’t know what I did to make them mad at me, but they haven’t sent me so much as an email in over a year.

wish I knew what caused it.

DSoelter

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat supercab 6'
My trial supposedly ended first week of June, but received an email tonight with programming updates, so, out of curiosity, I logged into my account. Shows nothing due, and "trial" on a couple of items (weather and traffic, I think) good until 2025. Just went down and checked the Ranger, and sure enough, I still have full service. Our last Ford was a C-Max Energi on a two year lease. Sirrius on that one lasted until the end of the lease. Don't know why, but not complaining!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My 6 month trial just ended. It ended July 1st but it worked for about 10 more days with a notice on the screen that it had expired an to call this number to reactivate. I might do the 6 month bonus trial for $30.

moonranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I usually just download a couple of albums and podcasts before a long road trip for those dead signal areas but it's a cool feature to have in extremely remote areas.

What's bizarre is 2019+ Rangers with Sirius XM equipped have a separate network hardware ID just for the Sirius XM "radio". Not a fan of paying for involuntary tracking myself and currently trying to figure out how to remove the satellite radio receiver.
Sponsored