Anyone swap their sync for aftermarket radio?

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
For anyone thats swapped out their radio i have a few questions. Does the fake engine noise still come with after market system? Did you install sirius radio and did Ford run an antenna or did you have to run one? Are there wires available for a sub or is this something you have to run as well? Also did you lose your back up camera or was there a work around?
I have the harness axtc-fd2 on back order and it states the factory camera doesn't work with this. I have and plan to install the Alpine ilx-w650 +kta450, kicker 6.75 door speakers and the 8"kicker hideaway.
This is for the non B&O setup.
Sponsored

PsychoMonkey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Service Advisor
For anyone thats swapped out their radio i have a few questions. Does the fake engine noise still come with after market system? Did you install sirius radio and did Ford run an antenna or did you have to run one? Are there wires available for a sub or is this something you have to run as well? Also did you lose your back up camera or was there a work around?
I have the harness axtc-fd2 on back order and it states the factory camera doesn't work with this. I have and plan to install the Alpine ilx-w650 +kta450, kicker 6.75 door speakers and the 8"kicker hideaway.
This is for the non B&O setup.
I have installed JBL concert series 6.5, components in frt 2 way in rear, sounds GREAT, still unsure of which "Hideaway" sub i will get. Please let us know how yours sounds. Also I am curious about radio swap. I wanted to swap mine but was told I can not because the sync radio controls a lot of things in the truck. Thanks

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have installed JBL concert series 6.5, components in frt 2 way in rear, sounds GREAT, still unsure of which "Hideaway" sub i will get. Please let us know how yours sounds. Also I am curious about radio swap. I wanted to swap mine but was told I can not because the sync radio controls a lot of things in the truck. Thanks
I have minor issue with the radio swap. The factory rear camera isn't currently working. I have one more part to come and then that will be fixed. Currently no harness' support the camera. All in if I had to do again I would go with a radio that has the idata capabilities. That harness and setup has alot more to offer. Only other issue with the radio swap was the sirius antenna. We used a adapter and it was working but then it stopped. Had to open it back up and install the supplied antenna as the factory connection wasn't doing it.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
I have minor issue with the radio swap. The factory rear camera isn't currently working. I have one more part to come and then that will be fixed. Currently no harness' support the camera. All in if I had to do again I would go with a radio that has the idata capabilities. That harness and setup has alot more to offer. Only other issue with the radio swap was the sirius antenna. We used a adapter and it was working but then it stopped. Had to open it back up and install the supplied antenna as the factory connection wasn't doing it.
I am getting ready to do my radio, what did you do for the factory camera or what piece are you waiting for? I spoke with axxess and they said if i put the axxess wiring harness and the addcam piece together i could use a rca to connect the camera to aftermarket deck. If you found another work around that would be awesome. Honestly you would have similar problems with the idatalink maestro piece since they are not supporting the ranger yet, steering wheel controls dont work and barely any gauges. sound does work though using f150 configuration. so what was the fix for the camera, i was going to do the old fashioned way but it will take a lot of testing wires.

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I am getting ready to do my radio, what did you do for the factory camera or what piece are you waiting for? I spoke with axxess and they said if i put the axxess wiring harness and the addcam piece together i could use a rca to connect the camera to aftermarket deck. If you found another work around that would be awesome. Honestly you would have similar problems with the idatalink maestro piece since they are not supporting the ranger yet, steering wheel controls dont work and barely any gauges. sound does work though using f150 configuration. so what was the fix for the camera, i was going to do the old fashioned way but it will take a lot of testing wires.
Axxess lied to you and me. That add cam is for adding cameras to factory setup. I attempted and still have yet to return the harness. You have to go the old route and use a 12v set down and rca cables. Yeh not looking forward to testing wires. I was trying to see if a forum member here had a diagram for the factory harness to eliminate the testing. Caluke seemed to post a bunch but I've yet to hear from him about this wiring diagram.

travelvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Marketing
Axxess lied to you and me. That add cam is for adding cameras to factory setup. I attempted and still have yet to return the harness. You have to go the old route and use a 12v set down and rca cables.
Thank you, @wickedZ1 - I just got a ‘19 (used) and want to upgrade the head unit with something that has CarPlay capability and the rear cam is the only thing that is still up in the air. what head unit did you get?

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thank you, @wickedZ1 - I just got a ‘19 (used) and want to upgrade the head unit with something that has CarPlay capability and the rear cam is the only thing that is still up in the air. what head unit did you get?
I went with this setup; Alpine ilx-w650 +kta450, kicker 6.75 door speakers and the 8"kicker hideaway. It's carplay but not wireless. If you or anyone plans to use sirius xm you have to install the antenna, the factory setup doesn't work properly. For the factory rear camera you have to install a 12v setup and wire in your rca.
Honestly if I was doing this again I would hold off a minute and get a radio that is idata compatible as their harness has alot of cool options. I also was unable to find a radio to fit had included HD. The depth of the dash isn't much to play with unless you plan to alter it. It's posted elsewhere but I think its only 6.25inch.
Overall I'm happy with the sound system now but seeing what other extras I could have gotten I would have held off.

travelvin

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Marketing
I went with this setup; Alpine ilx-w650 +kta450, kicker 6.75 door speakers and the 8"kicker hideaway. It's carplay but not wireless. If you or anyone plans to use sirius xm you have to install the antenna, the factory setup doesn't work properly. For the factory rear camera you have to install a 12v setup and wire in your rca.
Honestly if I was doing this again I would hold off a minute and get a radio that is idata compatible as their harness has alot of cool options. I also was unable to find a radio to fit had included HD. The depth of the dash isn't much to play with unless you plan to alter it. It's posted elsewhere but I think its only 6.25inch.
Overall I'm happy with the sound system now but seeing what other extras I could have gotten I would have held off.
Thanks, Ken @wickedZ1 - the iData harness doesn’t work with the factory cam, does it? I’d still have to RCA the cam?

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks, Ken @wickedZ1 - the iData harness doesn’t work with the factory cam, does it? I’d still have to RCA the cam?
My bad I didnt explain it well enough. Currently the idata setup isnt available, they have yet to do the software. If anyones ever used one you have to flash the harness prior to use, they dont have it available. They said the f150 harness should work and it just needs the software for it. When it all comes together that one harness will work everything and more the way it should.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
My bad I didnt explain it well enough. Currently the idata setup isnt available, they have yet to do the software. If anyones ever used one you have to flash the harness prior to use, they dont have it available. They said the f150 harness should work and it just needs the software for it. When it all comes together that one harness will work everything and more the way it should.
yes i want that one, but no steering wheel controls right now is a no go.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Axxess lied to you and me. That add cam is for adding cameras to factory setup. I attempted and still have yet to return the harness. You have to go the old route and use a 12v set down and rca cables. Yeh not looking forward to testing wires. I was trying to see if a forum member here had a diagram for the factory harness to eliminate the testing. Caluke seemed to post a bunch but I've yet to hear from him about this wiring diagram.
I am formerly an installer so I am hitting up peeps to try to get a diagram from someone who has alldata or directwire if i get the info i will let you know.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
also did you try plugging the add cam to the other harness and then the other end into the axxess piece. the tech support guy said one part of the plug would not be plugged in. Actually one thing you could do is plug the add cam in to the facroty harness and look at where the wires line up to the harness and that would make testing way easier and way less wires to go through.

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
yes i want that one, but no steering wheel controls right now is a no go.
The metra harness allows for steering wheel controls provided the head unit does.

OP
OP

wickedZ1

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
@Caluke you able to provide a diagram of the harness?

fslec

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport Livernois Tune
You will be amazed at how good the sync 3 can sound. I swapped front speakers with Pioneer TS-A652C, added a Pioneer GM-D1004 amp using the FOR-11CK harness. You MUST disable the Ford EQ using forscan for this to sound good at all - ACM 727-01-02 00xx. If not disabled it doesn't sound much better than stock. I tapped into the power window circuit at fuse panel for amp trigger. (This also eliminates popping noises when ignition is off and doors opened)
Total cost was $250
Sponsored