First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have a tremor also and been keeping an eye on oil level. But this was from reading on here that some have gas in the oil which causes their level to rise.
A slight odor is OK since it can be a by product of direct injection. If it's bad enough for the oil level to climb then you have reason for concern. I'm a believer in getting the first oil change around 3K to get the break in particles out an give the rings time to seal so reduce the fuel blow by.
Sponsored

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
A slight odor is OK since it can be a by product of direct injection. If it's bad enough for the oil level to climb then you have reason for concern. I'm a believer in getting the first oil change around 3K to get the break in particles out an give the rings time to seal so reduce the fuel blow by.
Well I changed oil just over 1000 as many said THAT was a good idea as they were finding lots crap in there. Oh well. I’m sure all will be fine.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I changed oil just over 1000 as many said THAT was a good idea as they were finding lots crap in there. Oh well. I’m sure all will be fine.
I went 3K because I switched to full synthetic an wanted the blend in there more than a thousand miles. Guess I could have done a change at 1K with blend then switch at 3 or 4 K bit too late now

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I went 3K because I switched to full synthetic an wanted the blend in there more than a thousand miles. Guess I could have done a change at 1K with blend then switch at 3 or 4 K bit too late now
I went almost 9,000 miles before my first change. I wait until the truck says change the oil. 22,000 miles on the clock now and zero issues. Says next oil change due in 7,500 miles.
I’ve always followed the recommendation of the manufacturer for oil change intervals and have yet to have an engine fail.

OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
So I did an oil change myself august 15th at 1,000 miles and I didn’t notice fuel smell much on the dipstick but while it was draining it defiantly smelled like fuel. I put in just a hair over 6 quarts of mobile 1 and it brought it just about to the top of the hash marks on the dip stick so I didn’t add anymore. (Checked level 15-20 mins after driving the truck).

just checked it again today after 600 miles and the oil level is 1mm over the max fill hole. Wtf? It’s 90° here today so the truck was pretty warm still when I checked it so I’m thinking maybe that could be the issue.

I know EXACTLY how much oil I put in so how am I over the max fill line again?

I’m going to check it again next week and see if it hold steady where it’s at. I don’t think a hair over max fill will hurt anything unless it keeps rising.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
did you leave the oil filter on or change it too? If you left it on you may have a little extra oil. I wouldn't worry about it until you've given it some break in miles. Maybe try checking it some time after driving it at operating temp for an hour or two to make sure the oil got hot enough to burn off any contaminates. Put 5K on the current oil then send a sample in. if the fuel dilution is ok I wouldn't worry about the oil level moving. I had high oil at first an it seems to have gone away after the 5K oil change.

OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
did you leave the oil filter on or change it too? If you left it on you may have a little extra oil. I wouldn't worry about it until you've given it some break in miles. Maybe try checking it some time after driving it at operating temp for an hour or two to make sure the oil got hot enough to burn off any contaminates. Put 5K on the current oil then send a sample in. if the fuel dilution is ok I wouldn't worry about the oil level moving. I had high oil at first an it seems to have gone away after the 5K oil change.
Yes I changed the filter as well. I know some residual oil can remain and that’s why I put in just over 6 quarts. By just over I mean 6 into the engine and then a small amount more just to get the oil filter wet. Probably 6.1 lol.

I’ll keep an eye on it. I have a 500 mile trip coming up Labor Day so I’ll check it again after that. Really hope I don’t have a fuel dilution problem.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I have problems getting an accurate reading when checking the oil level after the truck sets on level ground for 15 minutes or even up to several hours after getting it up to operating temperature...probably oil splashed inside the dipstick tube. I get a good reading when the truck sets overnight (see pic.) but also realize that the level will probably be higher when checked after getting it up to operating temperature. This reading was taken after about 25-30 miles after the 1st oil change. Maybe a comparison will help to guide you toward a solution. My 2011 Ranger was easy to check either hot or cold without any problems. Hope you get this issue solved :)

Overnight 2.jpg

Side.jpg

Last edited:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I was starting to worry about mine, 2020 purchased new late March and now with less than 2k miles on it. The oil was always way high, but I was always checking at the gas station so it never sit for 15 minutes.

I finally let it sit in the driveway while I unload groceries, pulled the stick and wiped it off then let it sit 15 minutes. When I checked it the oil level was around or a little below the high level hole/mark.

I'm not going to stress about it. I don't drive much so I know it's due to short trips, but not much I can do about that. I do try to take it out for a 45 drive every few weeks, but it is what it is.

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
I had the some worry, but not anymore, got better over time. I also use Mobile 1 - 5/30 full synthetic very good oil.
watch these

The only way I found to get an accurate oil check was to park it in the garage after the last trip at night, pull the dipstick and leave it out all night and check it the next morning. My guess is the path the dipstick takes is the problem. When I pull it out warm there are too many things that are still wet with oil. I even used a file to put a little knick on the dipstick after an oil change where I knew the exact right amount of oil was added. That is now my full line.

OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
I had the some worry, but not anymore, got better over time. I also use Mobile 1 - 5/30 full synthetic very good oil.
watch these

The only way I found to get an accurate oil check was to park it in the garage after the last trip at night, pull the dipstick and leave it out all night and check it the next morning. My guess is the path the dipstick takes is the problem. When I pull it out warm there are too many things that are still wet with oil. I even used a file to put a little knick on the dipstick after an oil change where I knew the exact right amount of oil was added. That is now my full line.
I have used mobile 1 on all my vehicles and it’s been great! I think that huge fuel in oil thread has me all worried lol

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
sounds like the only way you're gonna be sure to change it with a good quality synthetic. You'll know how much oil is in there. You'll know if your dipstick is accurate.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Your're well under warranty. Run it like hell according to Ford and let them deal with it if it blows up.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Your're well under warranty. Run it like hell according to Ford and let them deal with it if it blows up.
worst advice imaginable. Damage the crap out your engine it barely makes it past 36,000 miles blows up at 40 and you're stuck with it.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I'm under warranty and look at the shit I'm dealing with
Sponsored