Factory Oil Drain Plug

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
The 1st oil change? If not did you factor in "The Grease Monkey Did It?
As a 250 lb gorilla, I had not factored in extended family touching the truck.

That being said, for the life of me I can't remember if I had a new drain plug with neodymium magnet milled for the truck. A buddy will mill me out one upon request as he works in CAD or something or-other at Boeing. Gotta love that ten thousandths tolerance! If he made one for me then I used a copper washer. The oil change was well over three kegs ago in garage-time so the memory gets fuzzy!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I too saw somewhere - maybe on this forum where the plug should be replaced each time. Put me in the keep reusing it for the life of the truck club. If you screw it in and it doesn't leak I'm not sure what more you can ask for. It's not going to just fail one day and fall off the truck. If down the line you get a bit of seepage you can likely just make a note to replace it with your next oil change. My Escape I sold to get the Ranger had the same plug/washer for 7 years and over 185 K miles. Never a single drip.
Hi Mike,

I would like a Forum Member that had a oil drain plug with a copper washer to post a photograph of this. Only the USA 2.3L... Not the ROW diesels...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Finally did my oil change & reused the original drain plug. Not an issue. Don't see it to be one. That's the way it should be. Yes it did have the rubber washer.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is Ford's policy to replace every bit of hardware on these if a job is done? I saw the installation sheet for the FPP/Fox shocks and struts installation and it called for the replacement of every single piece of hardware that came off the truck!

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Finally did my oil change & reused the original drain plug. Not an issue. Don't see it to be one. That's the way it should be. Yes it did have the rubber washer.
you would think ford would make it that way- reusable, but I do remember having Hondas that recommended changing drain plug washers, they were less than a dollar each so I would ..... sometimes. never had an issue. I am considering changing my own on the ranger because the more I drive it, the more I think its gonna be a long term keeper.

did you torque wrench the plug? is it aluminum? ---- Im a little worried about the dealer mechanics stripping it by just cranking it on there.

Racerdave6

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX. 2017 Escape SE
Occupation
Mechanic
I've done at least 1 oil change on a Ford product nearly every workday for 35 years. I can't recall but once or twice having to replace the drain plug. The only time they need replacement is if the hex is starting to strip or the threads are starting to strip due to constant over tightening.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I've done at least 1 oil change on a Ford product nearly every workday for 35 years. I can't recall but once or twice having to replace the drain plug. The only time they need replacement is if the hex is starting to strip or the threads are starting to strip due to constant over tightening.
are the ranger drain pans easy to strip out? I saw someone had posted 20 ft lb for torque - Ive always just used a short wrench and snugged it up pretty good but this aluminum engine has me a little worried. --- I stripped a spark plug once, that was not fun.

Racerdave6

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX. 2017 Escape SE
Occupation
Mechanic
are the ranger drain pans easy to strip out? I saw someone had posted 20 ft lb for torque - Ive always just used a short wrench and snugged it up pretty good but this aluminum engine has me a little worried. --- I stripped a spark plug once, that was not fun.
Aluminum oil pans are nothing new. As you said, short wrench and snug it up. I've seen vehicles come in where the drain was barely finger tight and they weren't leaking.
No reason to armstrong it.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Aluminum oil pans are nothing new. As you said, short wrench and snug it up. I've seen vehicles come in where the drain was barely finger tight and they weren't leaking.
No reason to armstrong it.
The smart play is to simply use a torque wrench. 20 ft-lbs isn't that much force and is relatively easy to over torque.

A 6 inch long wrench only requires 40 lbs of force to produce 20 ft-lbs.

OP
OP
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
you would think ford would make it that way- reusable, but I do remember having Hondas that recommended changing drain plug washers, they were less than a dollar each so I would ..... sometimes. never had an issue. I am considering changing my own on the ranger because the more I drive it, the more I think its gonna be a long term keeper.

did you torque wrench the plug? is it aluminum? ---- Im a little worried about the dealer mechanics stripping it by just cranking it on there.
I did not. Just don't over do it.? It is aluminum.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Hi...Maybe in Austrailia or the like with the Diesel, but the USA 2.3 does not have a replaceable washer. It is a USB flange bolt with a seated rubber ring. Probably good for the life of the Vehicle, but as I said before, inspect the inset o-ring.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The drain plug on the Aussie diesel is exactly the same. However since Rangers are really popular here some of our local Auto parts stores sell replacement O rings in a bag for a couple of dollars for 3 or 4. I've changed my oil once so far since buying my truck (secondhand) and the O ring looked to be in good condition despite being done up by some dealership gorilla with a rattle gun last service, so I just put it back, and no problems.
Sponsored