First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
I know how to properly check the oil and the truck is on a level surface.

i have a 21 Tremor with 750 miles and it seems Ford may have overfilled it a tad from the factory. (See photo). With 750 miles I don’t want to do an oil change just yet

I read the fuel in oil thread and mine isn’t too bad on the fuel smell.

should I drain a little bit out maybe like half a quart or so just to bring it down to that top hole on the dipstick or just leave it alone. I know overfilling is bad but I’m not sure to what extent it will cause any harm.

I have a little plastic hose that will fit down in there and I could easily drain a tiny bit and be done with it in 30 seconds but I figured I would consult you guys first. If it truly won’t hurt anything I’ll leave it alone until 5k miles when I change the oil.

3BABC944-3EE4-48F6-80D3-BD4987EDEABC.jpeg

BDEBEA5A-47EC-4D76-8FA8-2B7EF6B557F0.jpeg
Sponsored

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I would keep an eye on the level & wait until the 5,000 mile service. then inform the dealer about it.
dont expect much from the dealer but at least it will be documented. save the picture, you may
need it later if FORD gets off their butt to correct this issue.
just my 2 cents

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
I would keep an eye on the level & wait until the 5,000 mile service. then inform the dealer about it.
dont expect much from the dealer but at least it will be documented. save the picture, you may
need it later if FORD gets off their butt to correct this issue.
just my 2 cents
Thank you for the response. Im fairly confident it’s just a tad overfilled from the factory. It’s not rising and has been like this for the last 2 weeks so I guess my question was more along the lines of will it hurt anything being overfilled like that?

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
My dipstick accuracy is suspect. I did my first oil change myself and I know how much oil I put in which is the exact amount called for. My dipstick reads high very similar to yours. That is if I can get it to read at all. I have tried rotating the dipstick in the other direction 90 degrees, 180 degrees, etc. My readings are all over the place and different on each side when rolling it over to look at the other side. One side will have a good reading (kind of) and the other side is shit. Been doing my own oil changes since I was 17 and have never had the issue with reading a dipstick. I would say I am no dipstick when it comes to reading dipsticks!!!

I say that to get the point across that the dipstick is merely a guide and by no means an accurate indication of the true oil level.

OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
My dipstick accuracy is suspect. I did my first oil change myself and I know how much oil I put in which is the exact amount called for. My dipstick reads high very similar to yours. That is if I can get it to read at all. I have tried rotating the dipstick in the other direction 90 degrees, 180 degrees, etc. My readings are all over the place and different on each side when rolling it over to look at the other side. One side will have a good reading (kind of) and the other side is shit. Been doing my own oil changes since I was 17 and have never had the issue with reading a dipstick. I would say I am no dipstick when it comes to reading dipsticks!!!

I say that to get the point across that the dipstick is merely a guide and by no means an accurate indication of the true oil level.
So you think I should just leave it alone? No issues with the truck currently

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I like to do the first oil change around 3K just in case there's any break in gunk in the oil/filter.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
You can always use your siphon take out enough to get you down to the second hole in the dipstick. Save what you pulled out to have an idea on how much you removed. Keep a regular eye on the oil level for a few weeks (or even months). That way you have some peace of mind on what your oil level is doing.

If you need to add some back in you still have what you set aside and kept. Plus if you ever need to take it to a mechanic you can show them how much you removed and where the dipstick level is currently.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I had the same exact scare. The dipstick sucks. Not very accurate.

I thought it was overfilled also at around 500 miles, changed the oil and put the exact 6.2 required. Dipstick read the same lol…

OP
OP

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
I had the same exact scare. The dipstick sucks. Not very accurate.

I thought it was overfilled also at around 500 miles, changed the oil and put the exact 6.2 required. Dipstick read the same lol…
Haha maybe it’s perfect and it’s just the dipstick then. I almost want to do an oil change and see how much comes out bc I’m OCD but I have a feeling it will be a waste and the oil level will be correct. I just can’t see Ford overfilling and engine from the factory to the point it would cause any damage. Could be wrong lol

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I don't think it's an issue.

I brought my sport car to Subaru for 5yrs for the maintenance. They always
overfilled it, I bitched, did nothing, always at least 1/2 liter more.
They said they put the exact amount?
I think I'll go with "it's a guideline..."
No issues so far.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Early in breaking in many rise a little. It’s blow by the rings. Break in oil has other lubricants that were used for assembly are very beneficial during this time. So a low mileage change also removes these compounds.

Mine like yours ran high on the stick until I did first change at 3.9K. After that change I red lined a few times at WOT. That sets the rings. I’m about 9K now and it’s stable above second hole.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
So you think I should just leave it alone? No issues with the truck currently
Leave it as suggested, do the next oil change yourself and then check the stick.
Zero issues and I drive the truck hard. I have a very aggressive 93 tune and take advantage of that tune often.

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
I have a tremor also and been keeping an eye on oil level. But this was from reading on here that some have gas in the oil which causes their level to rise.
Sponsored