Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
No they will find a ''Problem'' with using Hydrogen Fuel despite the only emissions it makes it just a few drops of water. The second issue is the fact of making any Desalination Plants. The West Coast is a prime example of how ''Lunacy'' runs over rampant there. 90%+ of the Drought and Water Shortages could be remedied with Desalination Plants. Yet states like California won't build them because of issues like a species of Minnow, which only resides in and around San Francisco Bay, there are plenty of places to build these plants up and down the coast. The Feds could give them the money and it wouldn't be put to building these plants. Right now over $30 plus billion has been spent on a non-existent high speed rail line that's supposed to go from San Fran to Los Angeles and San Diego I believe.

The fact is, that basically Battery Electric Vehicles aka BEV's require metals that have to be strip mined from the planet and these mines are large, require massive Diesel Operated Machinery, and Coal Fired Power Plants for some of the larger Drag Line Shovels. Lets not skip the fact you're stripping the surface and it is isn't as easy to do reclamation after that as what they lead you to believe. Now you need to power your BEV which oh is mainly right now done by power plants which are fossil fuel operated aka Coal or Natural Gas fired plants. Due to Three Mile Island and Chernobyl Nuclear didn't get a good footing in the US, and well because of the drought the Hoover Damn isn't looking real good right now which produces power for the Vegas region of Nevada. We've already seen how great ''Renewable Energy'' is when Texas got froze out and the size of a Solar Plant needed for just a city is practically city sized. This basically sums up how blind people are to the truth about BEV's.

1666140209566.png
No, the issue with desalination plants is they don't scale. There is absolutely not a single technology that exists that scales for desalination without incredible energy requirements. It can be a small scale solution (for sea going vessels for instance), but it doesn't work at large scales. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination

This also can be extended to hydrogen powered vehicles, there's massive swaths of the country that don't have the kind of water supply available to support that kind of fuel source. There are other ways to capture that hydrogen, but the largest problem is that hydrogen has a very low energy per unit volume at room temperature, so it either needs to be chilled extremely (33K or about -400F) or massively compressed, which requires tanks that grossly outweigh the fuel making the fuel very hard to contain for vehicle use.

Don't know if you remember, but 50 years ago the catalytic converter was going to solve auto pollution problems... the on;y emissions would be "harmless" CO2 and water! :clap:
Now those same people are running around with their hair on fire over CO2 emissions.:shock:
No worries.... the "bitchin'' aint gonna stop with Hydrogen:rolleyes:

Still..... picture wave generated electricity used to convert sea water to fresh and to Hydrogen
( might even use enough to prevent sea level rise!
giggle.gif
)
The devil will still be i n the details.
The catalytic converter was billed as a way to combat toxic pollution from vehicles, and it absolutely has done that. It was never supposed to be the silver bullet solution to pollution but it was a needed technology. Imagine the smog you'd see these days without it. It's still billed as one of the most effective automotive technology advancements of all time.
Sponsored

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
No, the issue with desalination plants is they don't scale. There is absolutely not a single technology that exists that scales for desalination without incredible energy requirements. It can be a small scale solution (for sea going vessels for instance), but it doesn't work at large scales. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desalination

This also can be extended to hydrogen powered vehicles, there's massive swaths of the country that don't have the kind of water supply available to support that kind of fuel source. There are other ways to capture that hydrogen, but the largest problem is that hydrogen has a very low energy per unit volume at room temperature, so it either needs to be chilled extremely (33K or about -400F) or massively compressed, which requires tanks that grossly outweigh the fuel making the fuel very hard to contain for vehicle use.

The catalytic converter was billed as a way to combat toxic pollution from vehicles, and it absolutely has done that. It was never supposed to be the silver bullet solution to pollution but it was a needed technology. Imagine the smog you'd see these days without it. It's still billed as one of the most effective automotive technology advancements of all time.

There is plenty of water to make Hydrogen Plants and again, leaving them to be self sustained. No, Desalination Plants can be built up and down the coast and would help with the Drought Conditions. I didn't say it would be a 100% Solution but it sure beats putting a bunch of plastic balls in lakes to try and ''prevent evaporation''. Also don't go running around bragging you have a Wikipedia PHD, it's a great way to have any credibility doubted. Left Coast Politics are the problem. Much like how California has to have some ''special'' blend of Gasoline which leaves it at well over $2 to $3 more than what the national average is. There's no reason for half of the issues the Left Coast itself faces other than their way of thinking.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
There is plenty of water to make Hydrogen Plants and again, leaving them to be self sustained. No, Desalination Plants can be built up and down the coast and would help with the Drought Conditions. I didn't say it would be a 100% Solution but it sure beats putting a bunch of plastic balls in lakes to try and ''prevent evaporation''. Also don't go running around bragging you have a Wikipedia PHD, it's a great way to have any credibility doubted. Left Coast Politics are the problem. Much like how California has to have some ''special'' blend of Gasoline which leaves it at well over $2 to $3 more than what the national average is. There's no reason for half of the issues the Left Coast itself faces other than their way of thinking.
Hydrogen plants aren't the primary issue, like I said. You can't get proper fuel density from hydrogen to make it an acceptable replacement for typical vehicles.

Desalination plants *can* be built, but again, they don't scale. They require incredible amounts of energy to function and don't scale well.

The purpose of the wiki link was to summarize the costs and locations it's been done, since that data exists there, including the attempt to do this in California already. I've done plenty of research on both topics in the past as it's always been an interest of mine. People plugging their ears to actual pros and cons with each solution are parts of the problem. Every solution has problems, it's about balancing to find the most effective solution.

The issue with California's gas isn't the blend itself, it's the fact that there's only 6 refineries that make it, and with the supply chain issues, the maintenance and downtimes at those plants have much more significant impacts than it does across the rest of the country because gas can be used virtually anywhere. Especially when you have multiple plants down at the same time. This is similar to the issues with Texas' power grid, being it's own island, they can both be impacted by similar issues.

People love to hate on California, but it's also a state with unique problems being, on its own, the fifth largest economy in the world, the most populated state by almost 40% more than the next closest state (39.3m vs 29.5m in TX), as well as the home to the largest ports in the country. The 2 largest ports (Los Angeles and Long Beach) which are geographically in the same location are more than double the volume of the next largest port in the country, and still also has the port in Oakland in the top 10 largest in the country.

California is far from perfect, every state has its issues, but wholesale hating on a mission because you aren't well informed about unique problems to handle isn't helpful either (this is just a general statement, not directed at you).

Deleted member 15875

No they will find a ''Problem'' with using Hydrogen Fuel despite the only emissions it makes it just a few drops of water. The second issue is the fact of making any Desalination Plants. The West Coast is a prime example of how ''Lunacy'' runs over rampant there. 90%+ of the Drought and Water Shortages could be remedied with Desalination Plants. Yet states like California won't build them because of issues like a species of Minnow, which only resides in and around San Francisco Bay, there are plenty of places to build these plants up and down the coast. The Feds could give them the money and it wouldn't be put to building these plants. Right now over $30 plus billion has been spent on a non-existent high speed rail line that's supposed to go from San Fran to Los Angeles and San Diego I believe.

The fact is, that basically Battery Electric Vehicles aka BEV's require metals that have to be strip mined from the planet and these mines are large, require massive Diesel Operated Machinery, and Coal Fired Power Plants for some of the larger Drag Line Shovels. Lets not skip the fact you're stripping the surface and it is isn't as easy to do reclamation after that as what they lead you to believe. Now you need to power your BEV which oh is mainly right now done by power plants which are fossil fuel operated aka Coal or Natural Gas fired plants. Due to Three Mile Island and Chernobyl Nuclear didn't get a good footing in the US, and well because of the drought the Hoover Damn isn't looking real good right now which produces power for the Vegas region of Nevada. We've already seen how great ''Renewable Energy'' is when Texas got froze out and the size of a Solar Plant needed for just a city is practically city sized. This basically sums up how blind people are to the truth about BEV's.

1666140209566.png
I live next to the largest desalinizaation plant outside of Israel. It's in southern cal. There's no perfect solution unfortunately.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
I live next to the largest desalinizaation plant outside of Israel. It's in southern cal. There's no perfect solution unfortunately.
You're right there is no perfect solution but small things can add up in helping bring relief to the problem.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Hydrogen plants aren't the primary issue, like I said. You can't get proper fuel density from hydrogen to make it an acceptable replacement for typical vehicles.

Desalination plants *can* be built, but again, they don't scale. They require incredible amounts of energy to function and don't scale well.

The purpose of the wiki link was to summarize the costs and locations it's been done, since that data exists there, including the attempt to do this in California already. I've done plenty of research on both topics in the past as it's always been an interest of mine. People plugging their ears to actual pros and cons with each solution are parts of the problem. Every solution has problems, it's about balancing to find the most effective solution.

The issue with California's gas isn't the blend itself, it's the fact that there's only 6 refineries that make it, and with the supply chain issues, the maintenance and downtimes at those plants have much more significant impacts than it does across the rest of the country because gas can be used virtually anywhere. Especially when you have multiple plants down at the same time. This is similar to the issues with Texas' power grid, being it's own island, they can both be impacted by similar issues.

People love to hate on California, but it's also a state with unique problems being, on its own, the fifth largest economy in the world, the most populated state by almost 40% more than the next closest state (39.3m vs 29.5m in TX), as well as the home to the largest ports in the country. The 2 largest ports (Los Angeles and Long Beach) which are geographically in the same location are more than double the volume of the next largest port in the country, and still also has the port in Oakland in the top 10 largest in the country.

California is far from perfect, every state has its issues, but wholesale hating on a mission because you aren't well informed about unique problems to handle isn't helpful either (this is just a general statement, not directed at you).
California has a whole slew of self inflicted problems from their laws and it's only getting worse. There's plenty of reason to just not like that state, been there enough times that one couldn't ever pay me enough money to live there I would live in New York first. Again anything on Wikipedia is something to be taken with a grain of salt so bragging you have a Wikipedia PhD or using it to back up your statements gives very little credit.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Beware of investing in any company toeing the ESG line, as there is coming a day of reckoning. You can ride the EV wave if you want, but be aware the collapse is inevitable. All EV is not sustainable. Hybrids are ok, and that's what Toyota is advocating. ESG is a political solution, and has NOTHING to do with Environment or actual Sustainability. It's all Governance, and all Communist at that.

Europe is now regretting that they have been shutting down their reliable nuclear plants on the advice of a 16 year old girl... They have no replacements ready, and now they are cutting THEMSELVES off from their main supplier of natural gas.
You might want to read this article regards the issues France is facing with it's nuclear power plants (most no. in Europe), numerous issues but mostly maintenance issues are causing the shutdowns there, Germany is a different story where after Chernobyl and the Japanese issues they did begin to shutter nuclear plants but recently announced to keep 2 on standby.. Article also mention billions in cost overruns at 2 new nuke plants in Europe - same thing that has happened in the US. I'm not anti-nuclear power but it too has it's issues. The most promising nuclear energy may be the smaller modular reactors that are I believe are currently in testing mode.

https://www.reuters.com/world/franc...of France's,to cool reactors from overheating.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/world/europe/germany-extend-life-nuclear-reactors.html

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
On a seperate note, appearantly only certain Ford stealers are "performance shops" which limits my options for installing a Ford/Fox 2.0 kit. I was quoted $1,200, which includes a wheel alignment. That's way steeper than what I've seen posted here. I'd like to keep my warranty in tact, but I don't think I'll be using Ford now.
I paid over 900 just for install and alignment of my front bilsteins. Installed the rear shocks myself. Price of the shocks/struts brought the total easily over $1200. And no I didn’t have the work done at the dealer.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
You might want to read this article regards the issues France is facing with it's nuclear power plants (most no. in Europe), numerous issues but mostly maintenance issues are causing the shutdowns there, Germany is a different story where after Chernobyl and the Japanese issues they did begin to shutter nuclear plants but recently announced to keep 2 on standby.. Article also mention billions in cost overruns at 2 new nuke plants in Europe - same thing that has happened in the US. I'm not anti-nuclear power but it too has it's issues. The most promising nuclear energy may be the smaller modular reactors that are I believe are currently in testing mode.

https://www.reuters.com/world/france-braces-uncertain-winter-nuclear-power-shortage-looms-2022-08-30/#:~:text=A record number of France's,to cool reactors from overheating.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/05/world/europe/germany-extend-life-nuclear-reactors.html
One of the most interesting things that may be sustainable for the future is the small Nuclear Reactor that is no larger than a School Bus and is able to produce power for several home city blocks.

I believe it was two years ago this was breakthrough. The reactor is small enough to be placed underground. If I remember right one of it's great advantages is, that it's like a battery and can be swapped out very quickly. No need for large plants anymore.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you think it’s bad now just hold onto your ejection seats with both hands! We’re entering new territory with raw material shortages. Over the next year with current aggressions ongoing you will find that many metals will become scarce. Aluminum, stainless steel blends, tool steels are already in short supplies. This is going to get way worse before getting better. We do not make much of this stuff ourselves anymore

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
Are any other companies doing any better in regard to supply and demand? I ask because I don’t know the answer. I know I was at a BMW dealer recently for service and they still can’t get cars to build lot inventory. If you want a BMW you have to order it. I think all manufacturers are going this way.
Out here in San Diego (God I hate it out here) .. the lots are empty but every other car on the road is brand new.

OP
OP
Floyd

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford

It sure as heck was billed as a silver bullet, which was my point. I don't know your age or occupation but I was in a refinery at the time and I have always followed politics, especially automotive politics.
I suppose this latest "silver bullet" (EV) will contribute to our transportation needs as well, but a man's gotta be the Lone Ranger or a werewolf hunter to believe in "silver bullets" :blush:

Last edited:

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales

But are they stealing them for that?

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
One of the most interesting things that may be sustainable for the future is the small Nuclear Reactor that is no larger than a School Bus and is able to produce power for several home city blocks.

I believe it was two years ago this was breakthrough. The reactor is small enough to be placed underground. If I remember right one of it's great advantages is, that it's like a battery and can be swapped out very quickly. No need for large plants anymore.
Let's start a franchise... Nucbuks...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If you think it’s bad now just hold onto your ejection seats with both hands! We’re entering new territory with raw material shortages. Over the next year with current aggressions ongoing you will find that many metals will become scarce. Aluminum, stainless steel blends, tool steels are already in short supplies. This is going to get way worse before getting better. We do not make much of this stuff ourselves anymore
The supply chain woes are primarily driven by one country, leading some to believe the phase “When America sneezes, the world catches a cold” with China. Covid-19 was a triggering event but other factors are now coming to light which reveal how vulnerable the US has become, it's one thing to have the most powerful military but they are other means to achieve global aspirations. Also link to an article which helped me to understand why the US is again planning to make manned lunar landings, something I recall was deemed unimportant a few decades ago. seems like another cold war possibly in the making ?

Just to have some relevance to the thread I am developing a better understanding of the supply chain issues which companies like Ford are facing.

https://thestrategybridge.org/the-b...war-chinese-supremacy-in-global-supply-chains

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/12/space-force-moon-pentagon-00016818

Sponsored

Last edited: