First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Google search indicates the standard Lightning has a range of around 230-250 miles, while trim model with larger battery has around a 300-320 range.
Base is around 42 grand while high battery trim level is around 74 grand.
But those ranges are with an empty truck with an egg under the go pedal.
Figure half of that towing a decent sized trailer.
Sites also don't state how long it will power your home like in the commercials !!! And, if power is out, and you plug your Lightning in to power the house, and the battery runs out...how ya gonna recharge it with power still out ??? Ya gonna hafta power up the good ole IC generator that runs on OMG...gas !!!
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Google search indicates the standard Lightning has a range of around 230-250 miles, while trim model with larger battery has around a 300-320 range.
Base is around 42 grand while high battery trim level is around 74 grand.
But those ranges are with an empty truck with an egg under the go pedal.
Figure half of that towing a decent sized trailer.
Sites also don't state how long it will power your home like in the commercials !!! And, if power is out, and you plug your Lightning in to power the house, and the battery runs out...how ya gonna recharge it with power still out ??? Ya gonna hafta power up the good ole IC generator that runs on OMG...gas !!!
Ford claims that their range targets are based with 1000 lb payload.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford claims that their range targets are based with 1000 lb payload.
3-4 people and your more than half way to that payload. And, no speed is given...is that load at 45 mph or interstate speed of 70 mph ? Just way too many variables to consider.
Also supposed to be able to tow up to 10,000 lbs (extended range model) but no stats on what the range would be. Seriously doubt it would be any more than half of its reported range. That means stopping every 150-200 miles to charge up every 2-3 hours.
When I'm towing my 6500 lb travel trailer, I'm running around 65 mph on the interstate, around 11-12 mpg. Have to gas up every 200 miles/3 hours or so...but it only takes 15 minutes to gas/stretch, and I'm on my way.
As others posted, give it a 500 mile range while towing a decent camper, with available charge stations, and the ability to get a full charge quickly, and it might be worthwhile.
Plenty of charge stations in my area, but I have not seen one that would accommodate a truck as large as a Lightning with a 25 foot travel trailer attached.
As it sits now, it would be good for short hop delivery/work, and most certainly a six pack runner/mall queen, but for serious hauling/long distance traveling it's a non starter.

Last edited:

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
I have seen the solar panel tonneau and hood scoops, perhaps there could be options to add solar body panel to extend the battery as well. ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
3-4 people and your more than half way to that payload. And, no speed is given...is that load at 45 mph or interstate speed of 70 mph ? Just way too many variables to consider.
Also supposed to be able to tow up to 10,000 lbs (extended range model) but no stats on what the range would be. Seriously doubt it would be any more than half of its reported range. That means stopping every 150-200 miles to charge up every 2-3 hours.
When I'm towing my 6500 lb travel trailer, I'm running around 65 mph on the interstate, around 11-12 mpg. Have to gas up every 200 miles/3 hours or so...but it only takes 15 minutes to gas/stretch, and I'm on my way.
As others posted, give it a 500 mile range while towing a decent camper, with available charge stations, and the ability to get a full charge quickly, and it might be worthwhile.
Plenty of charge stations in my area, but I have not seen one that would accommodate a truck as large as a Lightning with a 25 foot travel trailer attached.
As it sits now, it would be good for short hop delivery/work, and most certainly a six pack runner/mall queen, but for serious hauling/long distance traveling it's a non starter.
You're correct 1,000 lbs adds up quickly with just a few people and some luggage/gear. For these EV's to work they're going to have to have charging stations placed everywhere there's a gas station and that's only once they can improve on the distance. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, (nor am I against them) it's just the way they're forcing it on us it's not practical for most right now.

It's 2 1/2 hours from my house to Flagstaff so I'd have to stop there to charge. Then there's a whole lot of open desert between Flagstaff and Colorado the way we go. With my truck I still have a 1/2 tank (200 miles) left and can easily make it through that area. There's going to be an awful lot of AAA calls out in that area. lol

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I'm not disagreeing with your overall point. I was simply correcting your assumption that the published range is for an empty truck.

I don't think anybody is claiming that electric trucks are meant for long distances with heavy loads.

But that doesn't mean they can't be useful, or even perfect, for some.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I love vehicles of all types and although the sound of certain ICE engines will give me goosebumps till the day I die, I can see there are some benefits of electric powered vehicles.

Of course towing cross country at near the max of your truck's capability is not a great application for an electric truck. But most of us here simply aren't doing that.

If I look at my truck's usage an electric powered truck would be a mostly seamless transition for me in 90-95% of my use. And the other 5-10%, while there'd be some changes to my routines, would be doable, just uncomfortable.

Like it or not. The writing is on the wall. Electric trucks will be commonplace soon. And there will be a day in the not-to-distant future that they'll be the only thing we can buy.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doug, I don't mind your correcting me...it's just that even though "people" are considered "payload" I have always considered them as just driver and passengers. To me, a payload in a truck is all the stuff in the back. I know, I know, "peoples is payload", but considering a truck is for hauling/carrying a decent load, the idea of "people" being "cargo" seems wrong.
To be honest, in all my years, in all my vehicles, trucks included, I have never given much thought to what I have carried, within limits. Probably have been overloaded by a few hundred lbs at times, but never have I gone to a weigh station to find out my weight.
I do agree that for many, 90-95 % of their daily driving/miles, an electric would be fine.
My wife has a commute of 2 miles to the hospital, 2 miles back, several store runs a week, visiting the kids/grandkids several times a month...for her an electric or hybrid would be perfect.
For me/us when hauling our travel trailer , it is a no go.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dave posted that there are almost 54,000 Fords in storage, with IC engines, waiting on chips, 2022 models, and apparently there not making any more 2022, switching to 2023, which, of course, they don't have chips for.
So, how many here believe that the new Lightning will be hot on dealers floors, or instead, sitting in storage lots waiting for chips ???
I would think that any chippies that come in would be regulated to the thousands of ordered ones sitting in storage lots .

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Doug, I don't mind your correcting me...it's just that even though "people" are considered "payload" I have always considered them as just driver and passengers. To me, a payload in a truck is all the stuff in the back. I know, I know, "peoples is payload", but considering a truck is for hauling/carrying a decent load, the idea of "people" being "cargo" seems wrong.
To be honest, in all my years, in all my vehicles, trucks included, I have never given much thought to what I have carried, within limits. Probably have been overloaded by a few hundred lbs at times, but never have I gone to a weigh station to find out my weight.
I do agree that for many, 90-95 % of their daily driving/miles, an electric would be fine.
My wife has a commute of 2 miles to the hospital, 2 miles back, several store runs a week, visiting the kids/grandkids several times a month...for her an electric or hybrid would be perfect.
For me/us when hauling our travel trailer , it is a no go.
For sure, passengers, even the 4 legged ones can add up quick. And it is something we rarely think about.

That 5-10% that an electric wouldn't be ideal for my travels on, I'm sure I could manage. For me, however, I just don't want to. Electric vehicles have a few plusses that interest me. Namely, intant torque and acceleration, but this accelerated government/greenie mandated change is the biggest negative for me.

I don't work well when I'm told what to do. Even if I was considering it already.
Dave posted that there are almost 54,000 Fords in storage, with IC engines, waiting on chips, 2022 models, and apparently there not making any more 2022, switching to 2023, which, of course, they don't have chips for.
So, how many here believe that the new Lightning will be hot on dealers floors, or instead, sitting in storage lots waiting for chips ???
I would think that any chippies that come in would be regulated to the thousands of ordered ones sitting in storage lots .
Ford has royally dropped the ball over the last 2 years. Covid is just a cop out. My company has almost doubled it's volume in the midst of this "pandemic." This "ordering model" is just a way to cover up their failings.

Even ordering a vehicle, you'd be a fool to expect to see it within a year.

The Lightening may be an outlier though, as I'm sure Ford wants them out on the road.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

https://insideevs.com/news/584672/ford-f150-lightning-stockpile-supply-constraints/
Sponsored