Should I be pissed?

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
I guess a bottle of touch up paint is out of the question, eh?
Pretty much pointless as long as the rim sponges are outside of the rim wall.

Good thing is that the sponges do protect the tire and I've only had one blown tire in 4 years.
Sponsored

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
You know, even if I did a walk around, I am not sure I would have noticed. I was on the ground touching up my rusty running board mounts when I happened to look over and see this. Hell, I didn't even notice when I was cleaning off the white goop.
Yup! When I bought my sports car 10 yrs ago, I washed it every week.
After 6 months I went to get it detailed with a ceramic coat. Well! Holy
JESUS! Talking to the guy for 30 secs he said, why did you get the car repainted? I said WHAT?!?!?! Then he proceeds to show me some over spray. For 6 months I missed that, small, but now I could see it & wondered how I could miss that, so, yup, I understand.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I showed the service advisor this morning when I was in for a state inspection. All I said is I wanted them to be aware of it. He had his boss look at it and they told me they were going to reach out to their "wheel guy" and get back to me. We'll see if they actually get back to me.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I showed the service advisor this morning when I was in for a state inspection. All I said is I wanted them to be aware of it. He had his boss look at it and they told me they were going to reach out to their "wheel guy" and get back to me. We'll see if they actually get back to me.
At least they gave it some consideration; advisor could have easily just shrugged it off with an insincere "I'll pass that along", and then just "passed it along" through an expulsion of bodily gas.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I just got to thinking, the only other people to touch my truck were the people at the exhaust shop when they installed the Gibson catback. But I doubt they had a reason to pull the rear driver's wheel off. And their service is usually very good.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
The local wheel/tire shop managed to put scratches on every one of my wheels when swapping over to a winter set. The scratches were in the lug pockets. I took several pics and called them. They repainted all 4. Had them back about a week later.
had I not had one of the plastic bags they covered the wheels with come off, while the wheel was on the tailgate AND the scratch was right in my face - I probably would have missed it. But as soon as I saw it, my eyes would go right to it. They had to make it right.

Funny - if I do it, it adds character. If somebody else does it, they’re a f-up. If I paid somebody and they did it, they’re incompetent.

Anyway - fingers crossed the dealer does something for you. If not, it sounds like you have mostly come to terms with it.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Being I used to do this for a living years ago:

That is from not paying attention (on the last lug not removed)

It appears that the last lug nut was removed from (6 O'clock) position.
Wheel fell outboard while Impact Gun was still (In-hand) and jammed still spinning socket into the groove. --- (\) Wheels tend to move to this position with the Lugnuts Removed.

I found it best to remove the 12 O'clock position last and place my other hand on the wheel to guide it to a resting position, plus take it slow on the last lugnut, because SOMETIMES there can be so much force the wheel will drop off the vehicle, which is the reason for the secondary hand to guide that momentum.

I have seen sprained wrists trying to catch a falling tire / wheel with one hand that is also holding the impact gun.

This is a experience thing,
This is 100% correct and a learning thing. I change my own wheels on three vehicles twice a year (summer A/S and A/T to/from winter). It didn't take me long to learn to remove the 12 o'clock nut last.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Any news on this?

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yeah, id be pissed. I use my truck as a bit of a work truck, so it has scratches and dents. But s#%*, its my truck! When someone else puts a new dent or scratches, i would be upset.
Sponsored