First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Here's what I think happened. There are 4 guys that apply the seam sealer. Two on days and two on nights. One guy does left and the other the right side. Sometimes one takes a day off and sometimes the other takes the day off. Sometimes all 4 go drinking together. Either way, someone at the plant needs a beating because there is no rhyme or reason as to why some trucks are getting it and others not.

MarcusRanger

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a December 18 build and I have no sealer on any of my doors.

hughesjv

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
As an auto body tech I was pretty dissapointed when I got my ranger (build date 2/19) with no seam sealer on any doors. The seam sealer protects against moisture/unwanted gunk getting inbetween the skin and door frame. I figured that's just how ford was building the rangers. I just checked out a later build ranger (9/19) and all of its doors have seam sealer! Pretty frustrating to see that was skipped on my ranger, especially living in the salt belt. Attached pictures. Does your ranger have seam sealer?

IMG_5119.JPG

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5122.JPG

IMG_5123.JPG
OK, maybe a newbie question but I cannot tell how to know if it has seam sealer or not? Can you use arrows to show one with and one without?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
OK, maybe a newbie question but I cannot tell how to know if it has seam sealer or not? Can you use arrows to show one with and one without?
Look for post on page 4. Picture marked.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hi Folks,

My build date was 2/22 and I have no seam sealer on any of my doors... Not being a body engineer, I am puzzled by this that some have it and some do not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Scary part is If Management is not controlling this then the guys on the lines are doing at will and no one is noticing. What else could be left off? Or Management knows and there is supply issue and work orders are changing as supply changes. Sad either way.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Scary part is If Management is not controlling this then the guys on the lines are doing at will and no one is noticing. What else could be left off? Or Management knows and there is supply issue and work orders are changing as supply changes. Sad either way.
Hi Pete,

I do not know for sure, but most body assembly is robotic, so I would expect the sealer is applied roboticlly. Do not know for sure. Just weird that some have it and some do not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Hi Pete,

I do not know for sure, but most body assembly is robotic, so I would expect the sealer is applied roboticlly. Do not know for sure. Just weird that some have it and some do not...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Robot turned on by man.
Expendables refilled by man
Either not being maintained or it is a known design to apply or not apply based on something.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Update: Ford called my dealer and gave a conditional approval for refinishing the door jams and adding the missing seam sealer. We had to provide pictures and references of other Rangers with the sealer to compare. Ford said they are having issues with Sean sealer consistency between trucks. So all is good :thumbsup:

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Update: Ford called my dealer and gave a conditional approval for refinishing the door jams and adding the missing seam sealer. We had to provide pictures and references of other Rangers with the sealer to compare. Ford said they are having issues with Sean sealer consistency between trucks. So all is good :thumbsup:
To admit that and not get it immediately fixed is a serious management problem.

Glad they are taking care of yours.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
basically an engineer said, yeah, we designed it to be applied, but it's not necessary, so when we have problems on the line, it's ok to go out as is.
I havent looked at mine, but i'm not sweating it if it's not there.

By the looks of the seam sealer lines, thats a robot application 100%. it's not Johnny with the alcohol shakes comfortable in his union job knowing he'll never get fired. The lines are too uniform in application
I don't buy the not necessary. Any way an auto manufacturer can cut unnecessary costs, they will.

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
A tube or two of GeoSeal or facsimile and it's done. Agree it should have been done at the factory or the vehicle tagged for dealer service of the seam seal. It's not rocket science. A talented body man could do a superb job running that bead. Should have been before a whole lot of environmental exposure.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
basically an engineer said, yeah, we designed it to be applied, but it's not necessary, so when we have problems on the line, it's ok to go out as is.

By the looks of the seam sealer lines, thats a robot application 100%. it's not Johnny with the alcohol shakes comfortable in his union job knowing he'll never get fired. The lines are too uniform in application
Exactly my thoughts

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What does "refinishing the door jams" mean? Will the retrofit be as good or better than what should have been done at the factory?

Thinking this through.. why is seam sealer needed? To prevent moisture from wicking into the open seam. If it isn't applied at the factory, applying it after the fact won't yield the same result..... since the truck has been exposed to moisture.

I'd be asking for a lifetime rust warranty on the doors.... or a truck buy back...

Ford having issues with seam sealer is no excuse for you to have a truck that is more suspect to have rust issues.

Last edited:

ausable

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 F-150
Vehicle Showcase

Can absolutely tell it it was machine applied.
Sponsored