First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
19 Lariat supercrew with 32,000 miles over the great salt plains of southern Michigan. Noticed some rust starting at the bottom seam of both rear doors, passenger side worse than driver side. Both front doors still look fine. A little rust visible, but paint bubbling indicating more hidden. From the little I could see with a borescope through the drain holes, the inside of the seam doesn't have any rust so seems to be coming from the outside in? A bit disappointed at seeing this at only 4 years in. Any other salt belt owners seeing this on their doors yet?

20230429_172429.jpg

20230429_172434.jpg

20230429_172453.jpg

20230429_172503.jpg

20230429_172515.jpg

20230429_172522.jpg
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
IIRC isn't the paint/rust covered to 5 years 60k miles?

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
IIRC isn't the paint/rust covered to 5 years 60k miles?
The consensus online is they'll only fix it if it's rusted fully through a panel. I don't see this making it that far in a year though so I'm probably out of luck.

AnimalMother

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercrew XLT 4x4 Sport
Absolutely in the same boat as OP. Driver's side passenger door had what looked like a little bubble. Poked it and a one inch or so section of paint flaked off. Went round to the inside and mine looks like yours below and behind the rubber trim/seal.

Applied some rust converter and will paint. I'm most worried about the outside getting worse. Considering the new rocker panel guards that apply to the lower half of the door panel. Maybe the dealer will give me a discount ?

As mentioned, I highly doubt I'll get anywhere on rust related warranty with them.

Very disappointed. Have had 3 F150s in the past 15 years (no running boards) and paint has never been an issue on these country roads.

I'm not sure if sacrificial running boards would have prevented this or not. Seems more like an issue with the actual paint as opposed to any damage.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I used to undercoat professionally.
A person has to undercoat the day the buy the vehicle. You can't wait a month or a year, then it's too late, especially if you live in the salt belt.
I can guarantee you the rust inside the door in those spots is even worse. Find someone in your area who undercoats with Fluid Film. Get it sprayed now, and again in Oct./Nov.. Cross your fingers that stops it from getting worse.

miraculon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired engineer.
This has happened on every Ford I have ever owned. My 2011 Flex had it, not rusting through to the outside though. I also sprayed it with Fluid Film in the last few months (before I decided to trade it in on the Ranger). It also happened on the Mazda 626 I used to own.

OP
OP

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure if sacrificial running boards would have prevented this or not. Seems more like an issue with the actual paint as opposed to any damage.
I have the factory steps on mine that do block some of the spray along with mudflaps. They probably help some with spray, but not completely. This seems to be more from water entering the door from the top and sitting in the crimped seam between the 2 sheets of metal. Fluid film or some other oil sprayed in the interior of the door would have probably worked when the vehicle was new, but probably too late for it now.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you do decide to repair this yourself this works for the US Navy and it has always worked for me. Wire brush off all the rust and loose paint you can. Then treat the exposed surfaces with Naval jelly. I do that twice! It is passivating the rust and lifting off all the free iron (main cause of rust) rinse off with water and let dry completely. Then paint with something like POR15. Then paint with body color and call it a day. Rust should never return.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Use a lot of salt here too so I was almost afraid to look but mine are okay. Dirty as hell though.:facepalm:

Passenger rear

passenger rear.jpg

Driver rear

driver rear.jpg

driver 2.jpg