Safety Recall 19S43 - Select 2019 MY Ranger Vehicles Rear Lamps Issue

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
For me, if the truck itself posts a message (like an error code or warning), the app posts a notification in the Android status bar which I notice right away, but if it's a message from Ford, even a recall apparently, it doesn't do that, I don't see it until I open the app for some other reason. I'm not sure if it behaves differently on iPhones.
Yeah, thatā€™s what happened to me. No notification in status bar. Glad I saw it.:)
Sponsored

levimac`

First Name
levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger super crew 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Received my notice today via FordPass. Called dealer and soonest I can get in is January 3, 2020.
I received my notice and went down to Ontario auto ranch here in Ontario Oregon and they scheduled my for 12/13/2019.

1028190843a.jpg

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Took my '19 Lariat to the dealer yesterday for a radio problem, the SXM will not select. My service advisor called me and said I should come in this morning for a loaner car He said getting the parts might take a few days AND there's a recall regarding the tail lights. When I got there they had a 2020 XLT ready for me and the service guy told me it could be a month or more until I can get my truck back because the tail light fix was on back order! I told him that's ridiculous and I'd bring it back when they had the part.
Nope, he said, can't let you have your truck until it's fixed as we'd be liable if the brake lights went out and there was an accident.
Really???
Now to be sure, I'm glad they didn't give me some little shitbox for a loaner, but I am paying for a loaded Lariat with Navi and leather and I'm in a pretty basic XLT. No garage door opener and no window sticker that opens the gate at work. So do I have a complaint there? This IS an inconvenience. Maybe Ford owes me some cash for my troubles. Not sure if I should just say OK and be quiet or make a stink. What do you all think?
I think you are overreacting and should be thankful they are trying to take care of you the best they can. Crap happens.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Dropped my truck off in the morning and it was ready by the evening. Iā€™m glad it passed the inspection but I was secretly hoping for the opportunity to drive a rental Mustang or F150 until January.

57D3076D-7EAA-408C-810D-FC96DBE5BA9A.jpeg

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Dropped my truck off in the morning and it was ready by the evening. Iā€™m glad it passed the inspection but I was secretly hoping for the opportunity to drive a rental Mustang or F150 until January.

57D3076D-7EAA-408C-810D-FC96DBE5BA9A.jpeg
Did you look at the connector under the truck to see that it was taped up nicely and zip tied back into place? I will after mine is done. Gotta keep the Ford service department in check.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I am not looking forward to having this done. Even the inspection involves cutting the original loom protection. It will all depend on the technician.

Luckily only 2.2% are expected to need parts.

Last edited:

Fhatmatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Maintenance
Just got my truck back from the ford dealer this afternoon for the rear tail lamp recall. It passed. Build date 6/19. This is also my first time posting. Hope I did it right lol

And I might add I did crawl under there afterwards and confirm they re attached the skid plate properly and re did the loom properly. To help with peopleā€™s fears of having it done a little ā€ā™‚

Last edited:

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
They send out certain numbers to avoid the deluge of people coming to the dealer all at once. Starting with people who are more at risk for the problem, or earlier build trucks. (This depends on the recall obviously).

It really doesn't make sense to send 2 million recalls when you only have 75K parts at the warehouse.
My ranger was built in July and i got the Ford pass notice.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Here is one that i diagnosed today. It did not have the recall but was in the same connector. Pin 1 is folded over.
20191213_153409.jpg

Fhatmatt

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Occupation
Maintenance
Did the customer have a non working tail light condition to warrant the diagnosis?

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Did the customer have a non working tail light condition to warrant the diagnosis?
The right rear parking lamp was inop. Every thing else worked, no indication of a fault on the dash.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
@Willcuts93 do you have any idea how this is happening during assembly? Are there robots that plug these connectors in, or humans? Just curious as to how pins get completely bent like that when most connectors mate very nicely, and if a pin is misaligned, it is usually very difficult to get the connectors to mate properly and click together.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
@Willcuts93 do you have any idea how this is happening during assembly? Are there robots that plug these connectors in, or humans? Just curious as to how pins get completely bent like that when most connectors mate very nicely, and if a pin is misaligned, it is usually very difficult to get the connectors to mate properly and click together.
I have no way to know for sure. My best guess is a machine that was out of alignment, either during manufacturing of the harnes or when the connectors are joined together.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I looked through the dealer bulletin again and it appears that it was pin misalignment during manufacturing of the harness. Whether that means they were installed incorrectly or assembled with bad pins I'm not sure. Here is that section copy and pasted.
REASON FOR THIS SAFETY RECALL
In some of the affected vehicles, terminals in connector C422 may be misaligned and may have been
damaged during assembly. If a misalignment occurs and terminals are pushed out, there may be a loss
of functionality of both the left and right rear tail lamps. While the center high-mounted stop lamp
(CHMSL) will continue to function ensuring some level of stop lamp indication, all rear tail lamp features
will not function. This includes the stop, turn, rear position, and reverse lamp features. This condition
may be intermittent.
The C422 connector is a 34-pin inline connector and is located on the 14290 to 14405 harness mounted
to the left frame rail around mid-vehicle.