Rock Sliders

Methos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger XLT
Are the ARB ones actually rock sliders? And do you know if they were bolt on or required drilling?
Sponsored

Lawdawg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I installed my Rocky Road Supersliders. It would be easier if you had someone to help you but I was able to do it by myself.
I’m having a hell of a time with these! Had to go buy a right angle drill and grind down the bits to even be able to drill the holes. Not much room between the body and the frame. The self-tapping bolts are kicking my butt…..not having much luck with them.

JetEngr19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Jeep Wranger
I’m having a hell of a time with these! Had to go buy a right angle drill and grind down the bits to even be able to drill the holes. Not much room between the body and the frame. The self-tapping bolts are kicking my butt…..not having much luck with them.
I used a step drill bit with a right angle drill. They key is to to run the drill slowly. If you drill too fast you will heat up the frame and make it harder. Some drill oil will help keep it cool also. I didn’t have any so I resorted to spraying with WD40. Same with the screws, go slow.

Lawdawg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I used a step drill bit with a right angle drill. They key is to to run the drill slowly. If you drill too fast you will heat up the frame and make it harder. Some drill oil will help keep it cool also. I didn’t have any so I resorted to spraying with WD40. Same with the screws, go slow.
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to give it another try but about ready to give up. My neighbors have learned some new words and expressions the last couple evenings! Lol

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
Anyone know if Shrockworks has solved the problem with their sliders on the drivers side not having enough clearence in the front on the drivers side?

I think I like the Rocky Road sliders more but the installation seems to be a little bit of a pain. Having to drill 24 holes into the frame doesn't sound fun at all. At least the Shrockworks sliders use existing holes. It's too bad they decided to go that route.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Anyone know if Shrockworks has solved the problem with their sliders on the drivers side not having enough clearence in the front on the drivers side?

I think I like the Rocky Road sliders more but the installation seems to be a little bit of a pain. Having to drill 24 holes into the frame doesn't sound fun at all. At least the Shrockworks sliders use existing holes. It's too bad they decided to go that route.
Somethings to consider is having 24 points to hold onto gives more foundational support and less weird leverage points to move the rock slider in weird ways.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

Check out White Knuckle Rock Sliders

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Somethings to consider is having 24 points to hold onto gives more foundational support and less weird leverage points to move the rock slider in weird ways.
something else to consider is how much destructive testing they did after drilling 24 holes in the frame. modern vehicles aren't built with a lot of extra material.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger

Shrockworks took care of me a while ago, stated they updated their jig and the new setup fits well

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
something else to consider is how much destructive testing they did after drilling 24 holes in the frame. modern vehicles aren't built with a lot of extra material.
Good point.
Sponsored