First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Got a road trip coming up. I'd like to think it's fine to keep the 93 octane tune going for the better mpg and passing powa.

But am I missing anything?

Any reason to flash it back to stock or a lower tune before heading out.

Especially with the way these things can tow up mountains... I think it can handle cruising with a bit more power.

Thoughts?

Smartass comments?

Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Got a road trip coming up. I'd like to think it's fine to keep the 93 octane tune going for the better mpg and passing powa.

But am I missing anything?

Any reason to flash it back to stock or a lower tune before heading out.

Especially with the way these things can tow up mountains... I think it can handle cruising with a bit more power.

Thoughts?

Smartass comments?

Thanks ahead of time.
I'd leave it in. When we went on our trip back in June I left my 91-93 soft shift tune installed. It ended up being a 5,000 mile trip and I got great mpg with it in.

Just make sure you have a damper installed for the added hp/tq gains. ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Which mountains?

Be aware that up here in the Rockies our premium is 91 only. It is said to be the equivalent of 93 at our altitude but YMMV. Most tuners allow their 93 tunes to be used with 91 at altitude but I'd check with your tuner if you're coming out west.

For what it's worth Ford says never go below 87 even at altitude.

OP
OP
Wytchdctr

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Which mountains?

Be aware that up here in the Rockies our premium is 91 only. It is said to be the equivalent of 93 at our altitude but YMMV. Most tuners allow their 93 tunes to be used with 91 at altitude but I'd check with your tuner if you're coming out west.

Oh not me. I was talking in general about the Ranger. The closest thing to a mountain in my area of Texas/this trip will be an overpass. That said... Some of Houston's overpasses might count as small mountain climbs.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
As long as your not redlining it for miles on end there should be zero negative effects on your truck. I have only had tuned vehicles. Pretty sure always made sure I was tuned prior to a road trip. How else can you go fast... ?

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I didna road trip to Michigan and back to Colorado with the Tow Tune with my Lift and tires. Without the tune I would of had worse fuel mileage. The extra power does help because you wont need to use as much.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
So long as you can find the correct octane of fuel (by the sounds of it you aren't leaving the state) there won't be any issues.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Which mountains?

I've heard this a bunch over the years... This may be more 'accurate' for an NA vehicle, however, a turbo vehicle will do a few things:

- Turbo runs less efficiently
- Intercooler cools less efficiently

...which all result in a higher charge temperature, and would benefit from higher octane.

Ideally, a tune with a small [OEM] turbo should be requesting less boost (or power) at lower baro. There have not been a lot of tuners that I have found to understand altitude differences very well... Especially when you get over 6k ft.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've heard this a bunch over the years... This may be more 'accurate' for an NA vehicle, however, a turbo vehicle will do a few things:

- Turbo runs less efficiently
- Intercooler cools less efficiently

...which all result in a higher charge temperature, and would benefit from higher octane.

Ideally, a tune with a small [OEM] turbo should be requesting less boost (or power) at lower baro. There have not been a lot of tuners that I have found to understand altitude differences very well... Especially when you get over 6k ft.
Absolutely.

Personally, I always run premium wherever I'm at.

It's for this reason I don't really trust canned tunes out here and would prefer a cutom/local tuner. Tuning in general is a lot more complicated than most think. Add in the complexities of altitude and it can get a little difficult.
Sponsored