First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Not an audiophile but I prefer Spotify Premium, and I can definitely hear the difference between Spotify's 320 kbps bitrate and satellite radio's average of 64 kbps. Select very popular channels might get 96 or 128, better but still not very good. Like an obscure channel? You're getting low bitrate for sure.

For those of you wondering what low bitrate music sounds like, it's all in the high frequency harmonics and complexity. Musical instruments that have higher frequency harmonics begin to degrade under a low bitrate because there's just not enough data there to accurately reproduce it. The sound gets grainy and dull, like a blanket has been thrown over your speakers. The detail that adds clarity and realism disappears. Music with high complexity - many instruments or effects playing at once, makes this stand out worse. It's even easier to hear a low bit rate in this case.

The situation with satellite radio will not improve. Bitrates have been selected for maximum profitability rather than quality. It's basically "How many channels can we have before people complain too much about low quality?" Satellite bandwidth is fixed because the architecture can't be expanded. Fewer channels with higher quality? They lose subscribers. More channels with much lower quality? They lose subscribers. It's a balancing act. Make no mistake satellite radio companies have an entire division dedicated to this balance.
Some interesting info - thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I had Sirius/XM for years…traveling places where the radio doesn’t even get static it was a Godsend. It just got more and more expensive and the channel I really liked (Outlaw Country) got more and more overtly political. It’s not that I mind political music, per se, but midwit level overt politics is just…not something I enjoy getting force fed.

I switched to Spotify about a year ago and have been really happy with it: I cover me, my wife, two boys, and my mother with our own accounts for less than the cost of my single vehicle Sirius subscription.

My favorite Sirius station is 35 XMU, the Indies Channel. Lots of new music, some of it interesting, even to this 'getting up in age' fellow. Whenever I traveled for business, I enjoyed the college alternative stations, beginning in the late 1980s, for the same reasons.

No such station here in Charlotte, the closest college alternative station is WUSC - Columbia. It's a low power station, so it's only accessible 'over the air' to the counties surrounding Columbia. The station streams intermittently, due to staffing and/or technical issues - don't really know.

The leftist political stuff is a bit much, but I like alot of this music. My kids and grandkids love Country Music - go figure....

https://wusc.sc.edu/

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
The Boss and I generally listen to Willies Roadhouse and Ozzy's boneyard. When it is just me I'll go on Android Auto and listen to Dark Wave.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I just signed up for a year unlimited with six months apple music and a bunch of other crap I'll likely never take full advantage of for a grand total of$6.78/month CAN which works out to about $5.25 USD a month for the next 12 months. That is taxes and all fees included, billed to my AmEx.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
So I gotta ask, how much do you hate SiriusXM? ?:LOL::LOL:

This thread was quite entertaining to say the least but I did learn a few things about streaming. And also to never give @Squatchranger shots of Tequila while listening to SiriusXM. ?
Youll unleash a beast the likes of which the world has never seen lmao ????? and after dealing with that she demon for 3 years its safe to say I hate it quite a bit

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
billed to my AmEx.
Oh goodness, American Express - not in my wallet, maybe eventually.

Worked for the Jax, FL credit card processing operation from early 1994 until it closed during the summer of 1996. A good company to work for, still have momentos from my brief time there.

Sadly, many of the employees had transferred from the closed down Delaware operation that shuttered in 1990 - the Jax operation was only open for 8 years. What was killing them and similar operations? Not hard to guess: the misguided recipe for diversity, inclusion and equity. I experienced two more similar shutdowns within the next 14 months - gave up and moved to Charlotte.

I'm happy to read you received a great deal from SiriusXM.

Gary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Except the audio quality SUCKS (way to compressed) and commercials... Who pays to hear commercials ?

I turn it on when it's free for a couple weeks each year to remind myself NEVER PAY FOR THIS CRAP!
I don't know what you are listening to, I don't have any commercials on my Sirius. The sound is also good.

OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OP
OP

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Same here. Having Sirius worked out great for us on our trip and the sound was great. The Alpine in my Jeep was noticeably better than the B&O but I can't complain at all about it for a stock stereo.
My Chrysler has the Panasonic/Alpine factory setup, 9 speakers including the trunk mounted woofer - suspect it's similar to yours. Sounds great but the interior dynamics are much different than the Ranger. Heck, FCA offers a 19 speaker Harman Kardon system on some models....

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
Pay to hear commercials? What radio are you talking about? I have not ran into that at all. The most i get is a small advertisement for a new channel. Other then that there are no commercials
What channels are you listening to?
Constant hype for their channels, constant talk from DJ's reading the same music news. I have never heard more that 3 songs in a row without some kind of interruption!!
I have it, pay $60 a year now for the premier(everything package) but will probably end it.
Tired of Tesla and Queensryche.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I
What channels are you listening to?
Constant hype for their channels, constant talk from DJ's reading the same music news. I have never heard more that 3 songs in a row without some kind of interruption!!
I have it, pay $60 a year now for the premier(everything package) but will probably end it.
Tired of Tesla and Queensryche.
I'm usually on 71(40's junction) or 314(Faction Punk)

fslec

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport Livernois Tune
I don't know what you are listening to, I don't have any commercials on my Sirius. The sound is also good.
I said commercials but meant all the talking between songs. Almost same thing and as bad.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Renewed Sirius 'Music & Entertainment' Package today for the annual fee of $78.12 (same as last year's introductory rate). Renewed the service on both of my vehicles for $156.24. Took 2 phone calls to get a correct invoice/receipt. :sunglasses:

Original Sirius logo:

Sirius-logo-old.png
I noticed my monthly rate went from $6.06 to $21.84 last month so I called yesterday and they honored the $6.06 rate for another year. They also credited $19.78 to my account so the next three months are basically free.

Why can't cable companies be like this?

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
You audiophile types are just too much sometimes. I mean give it a rest already.
I'm an audiophile but if you're worried about compression and sound quality in your truck you are an idiot! Tire and wind noise makes all that useless.
Sponsored