rear differential fluid

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
How much does a stock rear differential need to fill on a change? I did my first engine oil change and ended up using a little over 6 quarts. I will have to order or go buy local some rear diff fluid as I don't have any so wondering how much and will 75w-90 work OK? I have the electronic locking rear differential with stock cover. How much would an accessory diff cover require? I am not sure it is even necessary to change out the rear differential fluid with only 5k miles on the truck, but figured it might be a good idea to do before a trip to Florida to get my new poling skiff. Is there typically a lot of metal in the oil from break-in and gears (ring-pinion) wearing in surfaces?
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
How much does a stock rear differential need to fill on a change? I did my first engine oil change and ended up using a little over 6 quarts. I will have to order or go buy local some rear diff fluid as I don't have any so wondering how much and will 75w-90 work OK? I have the electronic locking rear differential with stock cover. How much would an accessory diff cover require? I am not sure it is even necessary to change out the rear differential fluid with only 5k miles on the truck, but figured it might be a good idea to do before a trip to Florida to get my new poling skiff. Is there typically a lot of metal in the oil from break-in and gears (ring-pinion) wearing in surfaces?
The owner's manual for the 2019 model year states 80W-90 fluid and 3.04 pints for a locking axle. I think 75W-90 would work but for my own truck, I would use what Ford recommends. I also think 5k is a bit soon to change the fluid but it wouldn't hurt anything other than your wallet.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
The owner's manual for the 2019 model year states 80W-90 fluid and 3.04 pints for a locking axle. I think 75W-90 would work but for my own truck, I would use what Ford recommends. I also think 5k is a bit soon to change the fluid but it wouldn't hurt anything other than your wallet.
It’s a good question. When you change a ring and pinion most manufacturers say change in 500 miles. In a new truck, no. Maybe they run the ring and pinion in? I doubt it.

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
OK I may just leave it alone and drive it for 20k miles and then change it as part of the 4th oil change. Thanks guys.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Owners Manual Page 319...

Page 319 Capacities 2019 Ranger Owners Manual.jpg

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
I don't have an owners manual in my truck I discovered. They did a dealer trade and I guess they forgot to put the owners manual in the glove box. So I need to get over to the stealership and get them to order me a manual. Thanks for posting up the fluid capacities.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Well do tell! Thanks very much!

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I figured I'd give this thread a bump; I haven't had a truck in some time, and this is the first new one for me.

I see synthetic differential oil is available now and wonder if it provides wear benefits - or shock protection for the gears - or heat dissipation for heavy duty/extended driving?

I see the AFE replacement differential cover adds an additional quart of oil capacity which in my mind would scream for synthetic as it reaches operating viscosity quickest.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I figured I'd give this thread a bump; I haven't had a truck in some time, and this is the first new one for me.

I see synthetic differential oil is available now and wonder if it provides wear benefits - or shock protection for the gears - or heat dissipation for heavy duty/extended driving?

I see the AFE replacement differential cover adds an additional quart of oil capacity which in my mind would scream for synthetic as it reaches operating viscosity quickest.
First off do yourself a favor and DO NOT get the AFE diff cover. Yes it adds capacity but disrupts the engineered fluid flow and will increase wear on the bearings.

For synthetic oil you shpuld be good to use it as it really helps with heat dissipation vs conventional oil. Will it help with shock load? Can't say. Will it help with MPG? Most likely but I wouldn't expect too much.

Hope this helps

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
After finding and posting here, I found this thread with the YouTube video that has some extensive explanation.
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/rear-diff-covers-now-available.2469/

All I can say now is perhaps some type of windage tray for the AFE might make it more viable. Or wait on Banks Engineering:

Credit to sister/cousin(?) site Ranger Station too: https://www.therangerstation.com/ranger-tech/dana-advantek-axles-ford-ranger/
If going Offroad I would keep the factory cover or get the ARB or Ford Performance cover. Both will not disrupt fluid flow as mentioned in the video. If you are not going offroad then the Banks cover is a great idea.

Why do I say this? Well the cooling ducts are put there in an easy place to get hit Offroad.

Hope this helps

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
If going Offroad I would keep the factory cover or get the ARB or Ford Performance cover. Both will not disrupt fluid flow as mentioned in the video. If you are not going offroad then the Banks cover is a great idea.

Why do I say this? Well the cooling ducts are put there in an easy place to get hit Offroad.

Hope this helps
I would think the Ford part would be superior but there is a shelf cast into it that looks like it will affect lubricant motion at highway speeds. The ARB does look like a rugged and properly designed unit but I don't anticipate a lot of cooling for highway/towing use. Synthetic absolutely seems like a necessity either way. Here's a forum member (@j0shm1lls ) swapping his, you can see the inside casting.

A $200 strong cast cover for the rear (i didn't price a front for 4x4s) or a potentially (if Banks comes out with one) $400 rear for towing or continuous high speed use looks like the price difference.

The return on these 'investments ' is subjective as always.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I would think the Ford part would be superior but there is a shelf cast into it that looks like it will affect lubricant motion at highway speeds. The ARB does look like a rugged and properly designed unit but I don't anticipate a lot of cooling for highway/towing use. Synthetic absolutely seems like a necessity either way. Here's a forum member swapping his, you can see the inside casting.

A $200 strong cast cover for the rear (i didn't price a front for 4x4s) or a potentially (if Banks comes out with one) $400 rear for towing or continuous high speed use looks like the price difference.

The return on these 'investments ' is subjective as always.
Now that I have seen this I see what you mean. Unfortunately I haven't seen a picture of this before and I can see some problems with that as well. As for the front diff there is no cover due to the case design. My suggestion is just change the fluid to full synthetic and when Banks releases thier cover consider going with it.

Now I should ask, do you tow with your truck? Also what is the most you have done for long distance road trips with your truck?
Sponsored