Ranger Outsold Colorado and Gladiator in Q1

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Wonder why GMC is so low compared to Chevy? I've always preferred the GMC logo to the Chevy bowtie.
I don’t know, but I can say for certain that the Canyon is at least as hideous as the Colorado. Can someone please tell GM that tires are round and the square wheel wells look stupid? Then they throw a front end on their trucks that looks like someone accidentally stretched it vertically in Microsoft paint and call it good. GM should fire all their truck designers and start over.

Seriously?
1621993873893.jpeg

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I had 3 2020 rangers all making there own oil aka gas dilution. Now I have just went to the taco ? .
Congrats on the move to the taco. Good luck with your 35 degree inclines. You'll enjoy the smoke show. Reason I dumped my 2018 toco and went the Ranger. Not to mention the Frame rot on my 07 that Toyota wouldn't cover. Burned twice by Toyota and the Tacoma is a shit ? based upon my own personal experience. Won't go back, but sounds like you had the same experience with Ford.

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
that the Canyon is at least as hideous as the Colorado.
The Canyon has a WAY nicer front end than the Colorado does at least. But yeah overall the truck ain't too appealing to me. They went with that bubble look that the Tundra has. Not a fan.

I would have preferred ford went with a boxier front end like GM did. But it kinda looks like they're heading that way with the 2023 model.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
I don’t know, but I can say for certain that the Canyon is at least as hideous as the Colorado. Can someone please tell GM that tires are round and the square wheel wells look stupid? Then they throw a front end on their trucks that looks like someone accidentally stretched it vertically in Microsoft paint and call it good. GM should fire all their truck designers and start over.

Seriously?
1621993873893.jpeg
My son paraphrased a web show he watched on this: ...Like a transformer with Down's syndrome.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Doesn't matter to mid-size truck buyers... obviously... because the Tacoma remains unbeaten in sales and doesn't have to provide major discounts to stay there. It's got it's faults, but even the TRD Pro gets about 22 MPG highway. My Tremor has never even gotten to 19 mpg, like it's supposed to.

I'm no Toyota fan boy, but the aftermarket for the Tacoma is far more plentiful and filled with some good stuff, too. I've raced Ford Mustangs for a long time, but I'm NOT a Ford fanboy either. I don't favor any brand. I'm critical of them all and will compliment good and criticize bad... universally. I don't give forgiveness to Ford for the garbage brake pedal feel on these Rangers when they have the engineering prowess to do better and chose not to. I don't give forgiveness to Toyota for the transmission issues being experienced with the Tacomas despite them being a simpler design.

Look, I bought a Ford Ranger. I bought it because it was the better value. Toyota doesn't have to be the better value to still sell better. That's telling you something. In fact, they can overcharge! I've had Toyota's and Fords and I will tell you that, in my area, Toyota dealers are awesome (they even replaced a torque converter on my Toyota at 90K miles for free, doing the work to get Toyota to pay for it). Ford dealers are cheapskate pains in the butts and that's instigated by Ford itself. To get a warranty claim done, Ford dealers have to literally beg and plead Ford (relative to Toyota). That reflects strongly in the customer experience at a Ford dealer. It's very, very obvious.

Ford also has the F150 mentality with the Ranger. They shouldn't. They aren't #1.
Paris Hilton was famous for being famous. I have read several of your comments and I think you bought the wrong truck for yourself.
After I purchased my Ranger, I wondered about the Taco and the Gladiator. I drove Tacos plenty before so I knew what they were about. In fact, my plan was to get a Taco but wanted to see the competition. And the best competitor was the Ranger hands down. After driving for a year I wondered if I “settled” for a Ranger (the price for my XLT FX4 was about the same as a TRD offroad) and only enjoyed it because I was now comfortable in it. Luckily, my work still has their 2018 Taco so I was able to take it for another spin. And I realize I didn’t sette for a Ranger. In fact, I probably would have “settled” for a Taco not knowing what the Ranger was like. I think I would have been happy with a Taco, but not after I drove the Ranger.
Btw, that Taco averages 17mpg- same as my f150 with a coyote. My Ranger averages 23.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Wonder why GMC is so low compared to Chevy? I've always preferred the GMC logo to the Chevy bowtie.
They tout the GMC as the premium brand and price the GMC a lot higher than the Colorado for basically the same vehicle just styled differently. My guess is the sales disparity is about what GM expects.

I shopped the Canyon and liked it, but comparably equipped to the Ranger it’s about a $5k up charge. Also, when I was ready to buy, the inventory of Canyons around me was almost non-existent.

navyguy7224

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat CC Tremor
Occupation
Ford Service Tech
I'll take a fully boxed frame over the C channel/rotting frame of a Tacoma. I've owned 2 Tacomas, 2008 TRD sport and 2015 TRD Offroad. I have also owned a 2017 Colorado with the Babymax and believe me, I would hands down take the Ranger over those other trucks any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The comment of there is more aftermarket accessories for a Tacoma........the 19+ Ranger is the Global Ranger that is sold in 18 other countries and has been since 2011. I have 10 different things on the way for mods from Austrailia and the UK. So that comment is grabbing for straws my friend. These trucks are amazing. I give it 5 years and the Ranger will overtake the Tacoma in sales just like the Austrialian Ranger overtook the Holden Colorado and the Toyota Hilux, where they off road/haul way more in their midsized pickups (Utes) then we do here in the states. Mark my words. 5 years.... Ranger will be on top just like it's bigger brothers. ?

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Out on the road..... you can see Ford is selling a shit ton of these things. A year ago, seeing a new Ranger out on the road was a novelty. Now I pass other '19+ rangers all the damn time.

With the addition of the Tremor, and the forthcoming redesign and Raptor and PHEV models inbound - we're likely to see Ford begin to seriously encroach on Toyota's dominance here over the next few years.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The seating position in the Tacoma's is horrible in my opinion......and the shift points on the transmission, especially when towing, is just bad! You find yourself saying "just shift already!". But they sure are popular!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I checked out the Toyota. I liked it a lot. I only wanted the TRD Pro. The dealers wanted $50K for a M/T. That's excessive. Other than the awkward seating position, the Tacoma is almost universally a superior truck.
You probably won't find a lot of agreement about that on here.

I wouldn't call a C-channel frame, a no-torque V6, or drum brakes universally superior in a truck if you actually want to do truck things.

Anyone on here could've bought a Tacoma instead of a Ranger if they wanted.

I was convinced I wanted a Tacoma, but after driving 4 of them and finding that they all had the terrible seating position and the multiple personality disorder transmission (with none of the personalities being good) I dropped that idea.

Make this same comment on TW and you will be worshipped as the oracle of wisdom.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
....i find our supercab version to be just as vomit inducing. I prefer the look of the supercrew.
Ouch...we like our SuperCab. I like the 6' box for a big remodel project I have. Tailgate down gives 8' of lumber support.
But it's just me, the wife and our Aussie dog. And the dog doesn't mind the small jump seats.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
incidentally, Im not a Ford Fan boy....i find our supercab version to be just as vomit inducing. I prefer the look of the supercrew.
Lol... I can say the same for the off balance looking Super Crew. The stubby looking truck bed throws everything off. Like a station wagon that was converted to a truck bed for the last 5 feet. :crazy:

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
Lol... I can say the same for the off balance looking Super Crew. The stubby looking truck bed throws everything off. Like a station wagon that was converted to a truck bed for the last 5 feet. :crazy:
Are we really going there now? Let's stick to the Taco bashing. :turkey:

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Paris Hilton was famous for being famous. I have read several of your comments and I think you bought the wrong truck for yourself.
After I purchased my Ranger, I wondered about the Taco and the Gladiator. I drove Tacos plenty before so I knew what they were about. In fact, my plan was to get a Taco but wanted to see the competition. And the best competitor was the Ranger hands down. After driving for a year I wondered if I “settled” for a Ranger (the price for my XLT FX4 was about the same as a TRD offroad) and only enjoyed it because I was now comfortable in it. Luckily, my work still has their 2018 Taco so I was able to take it for another spin. And I realize I didn’t sette for a Ranger. In fact, I probably would have “settled” for a Taco not knowing what the Ranger was like. I think I would have been happy with a Taco, but not after I drove the Ranger.
Btw, that Taco averages 17mpg- same as my f150 with a coyote. My Ranger averages 23.
Mine says 16.2 mpg. :)
Sponsored