Ranger Outsells GM mid sized pickups in Q4

Cshep102

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Fx4, 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Sorry if I missed another post, but GM authority has reported that the Ranger has outsold the combined GM midsize pickups on 4Q19.

Ranger sales in Q4 totalled 33,059 vehicles, vs a combined Colorado/Canyon sales of 32,009.
Sponsored

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm not sure the problem was with a shortage of trucks versus an awesome new truck built by Ford.
My guess is that it was because an awesome new truck was built by Ford (based on my experience over the last 6 months of ownership). Just a guess though.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
No incentives for the twins on the fourth quarter plus limited inventory...Nothing wrong with those trucks. In fact even with the incentives the Ranger underwhelmed on the sales for the year..imo...

OP
OP

Cshep102

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat Fx4, 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Honestly, when I was looking at buying a new truck last March, the Colorado and the Ranger were the two trucks that made the short list, but after driving the two, the Ranger won in a landslide. I tow my 5,000 lb travel trailer on a somewhat frequent basis, and the extra torque is a godsend. I didn't want the diesel, so the Ranger was a no brainer.

I can't imagine I'm the only person who drove both trucks and came to that conclusion, so in my mind, most Rangers sold means Colorados not sold, and the y/y sales figures seem to show that as well.

LNK_Keff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat sport 501 magnetic gray, 2018 Volvo XC90 T5, 1963 Chevrolet Impala 2 door coupe
Occupation
Logistics Manager
No incentives for the twins on the fourth quarter plus limited inventory...Nothing wrong with those trucks. In fact even with the incentives the Ranger underwhelmed on the sales for the year..imo...
As a former '17 Canyon owner, I'd tend to disagree. There's been some pretty significant transmission / torque converter issues with those trucks, along with every other GM platform with that 8-speed tranny. The Colorado/Canyon message boards are littered with these issues, and there's at least one class action suit pending due to this.

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure it was an underwhelming year for a brand new truck - sure the name has been around but the truck is brand new. If anything was underwhelming it would be Ford's marketing of the Ranger - I don't watch a lot of TV with commercials but over this past year I have seen multiple commercials for F150's, Ram's, Gladiator, Tacoma, All GM trucks and even a ridgleine but not one Ranger commercial. I had forgotten about the Ranger being back until I went to the Ford dealership to look at the F150. So I believe brand recognition needs to be increased.

Deleted member 1634

I'm not sure it was an underwhelming year for a brand new truck - sure the name has been around but the truck is brand new. If anything was underwhelming it would be Ford's marketing of the Ranger - I don't watch a lot of TV with commercials but over this past year I have seen multiple commercials for F150's, Ram's, Gladiator, Tacoma, All GM trucks and even a ridgleine but not one Ranger commercial. I had forgotten about the Ranger being back until I went to the Ford dealership to look at the F150. So I believe brand recognition needs to be increased.
Agreed! I hadn't seen a Ranger commercial until the same one started popping up on Hulu last week. Now I see it about once a day, and it's a pretty good commercial. It has facts and features about the Ranger, not just about the "experience". But prior to that, I can't imagine any way that the average person had any idea that the Ranger existed again.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Underwhelming marketing is an understatement. Commercials weren't airing here until late summer last year.

Agreed! I hadn't seen a Ranger commercial until the same one started popping up on Hulu last week. Now I see it about once a day, and it's a pretty good commercial. It has facts and features about the Ranger, not just about the "experience". But prior to that, I can't imagine any way that the average person had any idea that the Ranger existed again.
This is interesting, because the commercials being shown here touted the "fun" factor of the new Ranger and not its true capabilities - Towing, MPGs, etc.. - like you see in the F-150 commercials. It's like Ford didn't know how they wanted to market the truck and still keep the F-150 relevant.

"Hey, buy the new Ranger and you too can mountain bike off a cliff, kayak down a waterfall, hang-glide off a mountain." BTW, I'm not poo-pooing anyone who actually does these things, just poo-pooing Ford's marketing. :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Underwhelming marketing is an understatement. Commercials weren't airing here until late summer last year.

This is interesting, because the commercials being shown here touted the "fun" factor of the new Ranger and not its true capabilities - Towing, MPGs, etc.. - like you see in the F-150 commercials. It's like Ford didn't know how they wanted to market the truck and still keep the F-150 relevant.

"Hey, buy the new Ranger and you too can mountain bike off a cliff, kayak down a waterfall, hang-glide off a mountain." BTW, I'm not poo-pooing anyone who actually does these things, just poo-pooing Ford's marketing. :)
I've said this all along that Ford does a lousy job at marketing the Ranger,I rarely see any commercials for it here. I know they're selling but show the qualities the Ranger has like towing a large boat or camper. It had the largest towing capacity at 7500 lbs so show it hauling a camper through the mountains:question:

It seems like they're afraid if they market it like that it'll take sales away from their bread and butter F150. People look at it and see a smaller truck and think they need a larger one to tow their toys around when the Ranger would suit most just fine.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
I have followed a few F150 forums and my last 2 trucks were F150s, but there is such an arrogance there that is off putting to me. I ordered my new 2020 supercab to downsize and try something different. But all you hear on there is how stupid we are because we could get an F150 for the same or less money. Sometimes I wish General Motors or Ram would outsell them one year just to take the smugness out of them, but I love my Ranger and Escape

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I have followed a few F150 forums and my last 2 trucks were F150s, but there is such an arrogance there that is off putting to me. I ordered my new 2020 supercab to downsize and try something different. But all you hear on there is how stupid we are because we could get an F150 for the same or less money. Sometimes I wish General Motors or Ram would outsell them one year just to take the smugness out of them, but I love my Ranger and Escape
The current F150 is so big IMO and that is why I went right to the Ranger. I don't think GM/RAM will be outselling Ford for a while

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
85k+ trucks for a partial year, ending at #3 total, and poised to take away #2 this year is underwhelming???????????

I bet Ford disagrees. As do I and most here.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
As a former '17 Canyon owner, I'd tend to disagree. There's been some pretty significant transmission / torque converter issues with those trucks, along with every other GM platform with that 8-speed tranny. The Colorado/Canyon message boards are littered with these issues, and there's at least one class action suit pending due to this.

I had the issue with mine...the flush fixed it but there are and will be plenty of crap with the Ranger...I'm not a brand loyal person at all but I know how it goes...:angel:

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

Nah, its just plain underwhelming to the world...we hardly count as the world. I don't recall ever seeing a TV add for a twin(i'm sure they are out there) but I've seen a metric shit ton of Ranger adds :shrug:....they tend to highlight off roading and Hot Pepper Red is in one too..... and its not really a new truck(which hurts it imo)

They had to give them away to barely beat the twins for one quarter as well and GM lots were suffering horribly for inventory because of the strike. I've had mine for three weeks tomorrow...right now I do like the Ranger better but there are several things its not better at.. I've driven the Canyon for three years so I do have good reference points...

I also don't get caught up in sales numbers generally. The biggest reason is it has nothing to do with how good the truck or car is and it never has...

I'm happy with my decision for now..:thumbsup: Its still a truck and cost way to much for what is is...but that is everywhere now...We've all been brainwashed to think 40k is the new 20k...o_O
Sponsored