RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's just ironic that Ford can't build certain models because others are taking parts from them. Ranger sales would look a lot better if it didn't share the same platform as the Bronco. Or we weren't in the parts mess!
As has been stated here in the past, I think the Ranger issue is more about favoring Bronco builds over Ranger builds rather than parts shortages. They are prioritizing building Broncos instead of Rangers - hence "you can't sell what you don't have".

I don't believe the Maverick plant is shared with other models is it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
And Ranger orders are backed up because of the Bronco. It's a vicious circle! :crazy:
As has been stated here in the past, I think the Ranger issue is more about favoring Bronco builds over Ranger builds rather than parts shortages. They are prioritizing building Broncos instead of Rangers - hence "you can't sell what you don't have".

That's why I posted this previously. lol :wink:

As far as I know the Maverick doesn't share their plant. I know once the new Blue Oval city is up and running all EV's will be built there.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I posted this previously. lol :wink:

As far as I know the Maverick doesn't share their plant. I know once the new Blue Oval city is up and running all EV's will be built there.
I guess we were saying the same thing differently. I don't think it is because the Ranger and Bronco share the PLATFORM, I think it is because they share the same production plant. If Rangers and Broncos were produced in different plants I don't think it would be as bad.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Let's put it a different way.
There are a more people ordering Mavericks than Rangers. The demand for Mavericks are more than the demand for Rangers.
"Demand for the Ford Maverick is extremely high. Right now, the wait time for this truck is between five and eight months. That's a long time to wait for a small pickup. Before you ever get your Maverick, it might be time for the 2024 model."

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I guess we were saying the same thing differently. I don't think it is because the Ranger and Bronco share the PLATFORM, I think it is because they share the same production plant. If Rangers and Broncos were produced in different plants I don't think it would be as bad.
IDK at full capacity it was a crazy amount they could build per shift like 500? If there weren't so many parts constraints (they both share a lot of the same ones) they would be able to build this amount. I guess if they were built in different factories they could double there output but at some point the supply would meet the demand. Not like the F150 where there seems to be an endless demand.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

Is the Ranger plant shared with the Bronco. The new model Ranger 6G is but I am not sure the older G5 is? I thought they built a new plant for Bronco and New Ranger platform. I could be wrong.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Ranger plant shared with the Bronco. The new model Ranger 6G is but I am not sure the older G5 is? I thought they built a new plant for Bronco and New Ranger platform. I could be wrong.
Speaking strictly in the US, the Bronco and the Ranger are both produced from the Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) in Wayne, MI. The 6G Ranger will be produced there starting in May (if the announce timeline is correct and stays on track). Since the Ranger and Bronco share a common platform it makes sense to build them at the same plant.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IDK at full capacity it was a crazy amount they could build per shift like 500? If there weren't so many parts constraints (they both share a lot of the same ones) they would be able to build this amount. I guess if they were built in different factories they could double there output but at some point the supply would meet the demand. Not like the F150 where there seems to be an endless demand.
Right - the TOTAL amount is still constrained by parts issues, but when Ford chooses to prioritize what parts are available to the Bronco, the Ranger gets the short end of the stick.

Maybe that is why I like the Ranger - it has always been kind of a renegade, or underdog, or red-headed stepchild. :) Unlike the F-150 which gets whatever it wants/needs.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I just saw this on the MAP Wikipedia page - it is pretty amazing how many vehicles these plants can produce:

The plant currently has 2.8 million square feet of floor space and a capacity of 5,300 units per week
I know at one point early on, they had been working overtime to build Rangers (6 day weeks) - I don't know if they ever added a second shift when Bronco production started though.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Right - the TOTAL amount is still constrained by parts issues, but when Ford chooses to prioritize what parts are available to the Bronco, the Ranger gets the short end of the stick.

Maybe that is why I like the Ranger - it has always been kind of a renegade, or underdog, or red-headed stepchild. :) Unlike the F-150 which gets whatever it wants/needs.
That's pretty much what I was trying to say but my brain and fingers weren't on the same page. ?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
FYI, I just saw this on the MAP Wikipedia page - it is pretty amazing how many vehicles these plants can produce:

I know at one point early on, they had been working overtime to build Rangers (6 day weeks) - I don't know if they ever added a second shift when Bronco production started though.
I was close at 500 per shift. I know they were talking about adding Saturday to the Bronco builds when it first went into production. Then IIRC they did every other Saturday because of parts constraints. Now I have no idea as I stopped following it and really on go on there once or twice a month.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever see dealers lots full like we were use to even if parts become available. I think all the manufacturers finally realized it's better to build X amount and maybe have a small inventory than over build and have to have huge end of the year discounts.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I don't think we'll ever see dealers lots full like we were use to even if parts become available. I think all the manufacturers finally realized it's better to build X amount and maybe have a small inventory than over build and have to have huge end of the year discounts.
I predict at some point they will get greedy and things will more or less return to how they were. After all, in good years they were highly profitable. Time will tell though - It sounds like parts constraints are STARTING to ease up, although we still have a ways to go. Not sure where those new chip plants in AZ are at in their construction, but once those come online, those constraints should ease up I'd think. My guess is that at some point in the next few years there is going to be OVER supply and prices will tank - that seems to be how things go in the high tech sector - feast or famine.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I predict at some point they will get greedy and things will more or less return to how they were. After all, in good years they were highly profitable. Time will tell though - It sounds like parts constraints are STARTING to ease up, although we still have a ways to go. Not sure where those new chip plants in AZ are at in their construction, but once those come online, those constraints should ease up I'd think. My guess is that at some point in the next few years there is going to be OVER supply and prices will tank - that seems to be how things go in the high tech sector - feast or famine.
Last I heard the chip plants (there's several going up here) should be in full operation by 2024 and another in 2026.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/06/tsm...ion-with-second-semiconductor-chip-plant.html

Not according to this article and Farley's comments. I think they lose a lot more in having to give huge end of the year incentives. I remember seeing 10K+ off of F150's. So now if they can pocket all that they can sell less and still make the same or more profit.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37187201/ford-build-to-order-online-ordering-changes/

Ford noticed, and now the company wants to shift more future buyers to the vehicle ordering process, Ford CEO Jim Farley said on a conference call this week with reporters to discuss the company's second-quarter results. Getting more buyers to order a specific vehicle online can also help Ford's bottom line.

"We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days' supply," he said. "I know we are wasting money on incentives."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last I heard the chip plants (there's several going up here) should be in full operation by 2024 and another in 2026.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/06/tsm...ion-with-second-semiconductor-chip-plant.html

Not according to this article and Farley's comments. I think they lose a lot more in having to give huge end of the year incentives. I remember seeing 10K+ off of F150's. So now if they can pocket all that they can sell less and still make the same or more profit.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37187201/ford-build-to-order-online-ordering-changes/
If Farley ever thought the "best selling vehicle for the past 4x years" title was ever in jeopardy for the F-150, I'm sure he would GLADLY "waste money on incentives".

I think he WANTS to move that direction, but I think REALITY will force him to adjust course. The only way they can profitably move to that model (IMO) is if they get a WHOLE LOT better at custom orders and get them out the door a LOT faster than they have historically.

I bought mine before all the COVID weirdness and it still took 4 months to get. Years ago, when we ordered 2 Saturns, we got them in like 6 weeks. That is the kind of turnaround (or faster) they need to do if they truly want to move mostly to a build to order model.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If Farley ever thought the "best selling vehicle for the past 4x years" title was ever in jeopardy for the F-150, I'm sure he would GLADLY "waste money on incentives".

I think he WANTS to move that direction, but I think REALITY will force him to adjust course. The only way they can profitably move to that model (IMO) is if they get a WHOLE LOT better at custom orders and get them out the door a LOT faster than they have historically.

I bought mine before all the COVID weirdness and it still took 4 months to get. Years ago, when we ordered 2 Saturns, we got them in like 6 weeks. That is the kind of turnaround (or faster) they need to do if they truly want to move mostly to a build to order model.
I've read where all the others are talking about doing this too. IF they do then I can see Ford following along. Maybe they'll still "overproduce" the F150 as it's their best seller but I can see them going to a made to order platform on most everything else with a 60 day supply.

I always ordered my F150's because the one I bought was rarely on the lots, It was a regular cab short bed. Turn around time was usually 4-6 weeks unless I bought them at the end of a year change over and even then it was usually only another weeks added time. I got lucky and found my Ranger on the dealers lot exactly how I would've ordered it. And got 0% so it was the best of both worlds that day.
Sponsored