First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
In the last 2 years the Maverick outsold the Ranger by just over 20%. Looks like part of the reason could be supply chain issues and the other bring the Ranger is going through a refresh this year and some wasn't the newer 6G. It also could be what I've said many times that their advertising (or lack there of) is much better for the Maverick . Then take into consideration the high price of gas we saw last year and the very low price point the base Maverick had when it first launched and this makes sense. Hopefully the next Gen Ranger sales improve because they're losing ground on most of the completion too.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ford-maverick-outsells-ford-ranger-in-2022-by-healthy-margin/

The Blue Oval wound up selling 74,370 units of the Ford Maverick in 2022, versus 57,005 Rangers – a significant difference of 17,365 units. However, there are several reasons why this might have happened. For starters, the Ranger is a bit of a lame duck, as it’s set to be replaced in the U.S. this year with the all-new, next-generation 2024 model, while the Maverick was brand new for the 2022 model year, and this was its first full year on sale. Additionally, it’s quite possible that various supply chain issues prevented Ford from building as many Ranger pickups as it wanted to.

As if this tidbit of information wasn’t interesting enough, 2023 Ford Maverick orders in September alone – when order banks were open for just one week – were higher than the pickup’s 2022 sales total at 86,000 units. If Ford is indeed able to produce enough Mavericks to meet that demand over the coming year, the compact pickup is set up well to blow away its 2022 sales results.

Sales Numbers - Ford Maverick vs. Ford Ranger - 2022 - United States

TOTAL+21.63%131,375108,013
MODELYTD 22 / YTD 21YTD 22YTD 21
FORD MAVERICK+460.94%74,37013,258
FORD RANGER-39.84%57,00594,755
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I think being made in the same plant as the bronco really hurt. Ford is desperately trying to fix the bronco rollout debacle and the ranger just got kicked to the curb.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think being made in the same plant as the bronco really hurt. Ford is desperately trying to fix the bronco rollout debacle and the ranger just got kicked to the curb.
Yeah sometimes they are there own worst enemy. They messed up the Bronco launch so bad it ended up hurting their other sales along the way. Then there were many on B6G who jumped ship and bought another brands vehicle because they either got sick of waiting or they really needed a vehicle now. I can only imagine how bad the new 6G Ranger launch is going to go. :crazy:

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Yeah sometimes they are there own worst enemy. The messed up the Bronco launch so bad it ended up hurting their other sales along the way. Then there were many on B6G who jumped ship and bought another brands vehicle because they either got sick of waiting or they really needed a vehicle now. I can only imagine how bad the new 6G Ranger launch is going to go. :crazy:
Sure hope they learned something.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
it’s quite weird because all my area Ford dealers send me crap asking to buy my Ranger. When I was chatting with my salesman two weeks ago while my Ranger was getting serviced he told me they largely can’t hold onto Rangers. They sell quickly. They just don’t get many of them. So yeah, I think y’all are onto something. It’s less of a problem with the vehicle, and more of a problem with Fords approach and management of getting units into consumers hands.

I’ve not paid attention to the bronco launch besides the chipping paint on the hard tops. What else went wrong?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Sure hope they learned something.
Famous last words! Their focus is going the way of EV. Everything else is going to suffer because of it. The more tech they add the more skilled the workforce to make it happen. The writing is on the wall already. Not going to happen…

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I think the reason is more about car/suv owners moving to the Maverick to gain more utility without having a large truck body to drive around. I think the Maverick is pillaging from car sales and not truck sales.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
it’s quite weird because all my area Ford dealers send me crap asking to buy my Ranger. When I was chatting with my salesman two weeks ago while my Ranger was getting serviced he told me they largely can’t hold onto Rangers. They sell quickly. They just don’t get many of them. So yeah, I think y’all are onto something. It’s less of a problem with the vehicle, and more of a problem with Fords approach and management of getting units into consumers hands.

I’ve not paid attention to the bronco launch besides the chipping paint on the hard tops. What else went wrong?
I also get mail from my local Ford dealer wanting my Ranger. The dealer I bought mine from called me a couple weeks ago wanting to know if I wanted to trade my Ranger in for a new one. I said why in the world would I want to do that? Mine runs great, has low miles, is almost payed off and I have 0%, andI have all the delete items the news don't. lol

It was the hardtops being defective twice but the biggest problem was the way they changed the rules on customer orders. All those with reservations were supposed to get theirs built according to your timestamp, reservation number. When all the larger dealers weren't getting a lot of orders because the smaller dealers were offering them at msrp and some at invoice they cried to Ford. Ford then changed to an allocation system which now favors the larger dealers because they sell more volume. Now all the smaller dealers who had huge orders got screwed along with all of us who's orders were there. Also no dealers were supposed to get dealer orders until ALL reservation holders received theirs. Now 3 years later we still don't have our Bronco while people who ordered AFTER we have ours.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think the reason is more about car/suv owners moving to the Maverick to gain more utility without having a large truck body to drive around. I think the Maverick is pillaging from car sales and not truck sales.
I still think the Maverick is taking away a good portion of truck sales too. There are many who think the Ranger is still to large and like the smaller platform of the Maverick. The Ranger is the size of my '96 F150 so I can see the reasoning in this. Back then the older Ranger was much smaller and it sold like crazy because the F150 was to big. Hence the reason the Maverick is such a hit and now add the hybrid option when gas prices are at an all time high.

Plus there are a lot of smaller business who will benefit more from a Maverick. Small one man businesses like pool guys or retired/semi retired contractors can now have a smaller work truck and still use it as a daily driver.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Famous last words! Their focus is going the way of EV. Everything else is going to suffer because of it. The more tech they add the more skilled the workforce to make it happen. The writing is on the wall already. Not going to happen…
I'm afraid you are right.....

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The new ranger really isn't even that much bigger than an old supercab.

6" or so longer, a couple inches wider.. it's really just it's height and overall body shape that make people think it's a great deal bigger.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Having a Hybrid version helped.
Do they break it down for how many were hybrids?

Also, quite a bit less money for the non-hybrid.
The only chart is the one I posted so no breakdown of hybrid to non hybrid. The hybrid I would guess would be a main choice seeing as gas prices spiked and every bit helps. I'd love to have a hybrid Ranger and that still is my main choice when the next Gen comes out. But I am first on the list for a Raptor and might take that and wait a few years on the hybrid to make sure all the kinks are worked out. ?‍♂

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I still think the Maverick is taking away a good portion of truck sales too. There are many who think the Ranger is still to large and like the smaller platform of the Maverick. The Ranger is the size of my '96 F150 so I can see the reasoning in this. Back then the older Ranger was much smaller and it sold like crazy because the F150 was to big. Hence the reason the Maverick is such a hit and now add the hybrid option when gas prices are at an all time high.

Plus there are a lot of smaller business who will benefit more from a Maverick. Small one man businesses like pool guys or retired/semi retired contractors can now have a smaller work truck and still use it as a daily driver.
Size matters…just look at these pictures that @Strokerduster posted a while back…

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/supercabs-new-vs-old-size-comparison.1959/post-22648
Sponsored