RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I always ordered my F150's because the one I bought was rarely on the lots, It was a regular cab short bed. Turn around time was usually 4-6 weeks unless I bought them at the end of a year change over and even then it was usually only another weeks added time.
Wow - that is the first time I've ever heard of a Ford custom order being processed in less than 8-10 weeks. Maybe the F-150 is "special" or maybe the fact that they are made at two different plants means it is easier to schedule custom orders.

I still think they have a hugely uphill battle if they want to move to mostly custom orders and they will have to up their game significantly.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Wow - that is the first time I've ever heard of a Ford custom order being processed in less than 8-10 weeks. Maybe the F-150 is "special" or maybe the fact that they are made at two different plants means it is easier to schedule custom orders.

I still think they have a hugely uphill battle if they want to move to mostly custom orders and they will have to up their game significantly.
In today's world of two day and expedited delivery, I don't see people willing to wait months for a new car.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

This was late 90's up until I ordered my last on which was a 2013. I can remember ordering one during a 4th of July special and receiving it before the end of August. It might be because it was a regular cab and most wanted a super cab or whatever they called it back then. Crazy how times have changed and you're hoping to now get one within a years wait.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
In today's world of two day and expedited delivery, I don't see people willing to wait months for a new car.
I’m guilty of this. When I want something I want it right then. Example, when I wanted a new phone I’d stop by my local carrier store once a week & they’d say they rarely have it in stock but I can order & have it in a week. I’d always say no thanks. If I can’t have it in my hand that day I don’t want it. 5 months later of stopping in ever week they finally had one in stock & I bought it. Makes no sense I know ?‍♂.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a 21 Ranger Lariat Tremor & I have to admit if they had Mavericks on the lot when I got my truck I may have gotten it instead. Probably enough truck capability for me plus I have a 90 mile round trip for work, I live way out on a farm so no jobs close. Better mileage would be a money saver.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guilty of this. When I want something I want it right then. Example, when I wanted a new phone I’d stop by my local carrier store once a week & they’d say they rarely have it in stock but I can order & have it in a week. I’d always say no thanks. If I can’t have it in my hand that day I don’t want it. 5 months later of stopping in ever week they finally had one in stock & I bought it. Makes no sense I know ?‍♂.
It’s not your fault Tom - they spoil us rotten! Amazon free same-day delivery is like a drug. Yesterday, I placed a small Home Depot order at 7:20 am and it was delivered at 7:48 am.

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s not your fault Tom - they spoil us rotten! Amazon free same-day delivery is like a drug. Yesterday, I placed a small Home Depot order at 7:20 am and it was delivered at 7:48 am.
I’m glad I’m not the only one. They’ve made it all so fast or instant even that when that isn’t available it’s almost strange lol.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
But it's also the day of being able to get exactly what you want for almost everything, rather than being restricted to local inventory. I've never understood why when it comes to cars people drop $10s of thousands on whatever crap the dealer is trying to get rid of to meet this month's sales target. ?‍♂

k_teven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
In the last 2 years the Maverick outsold the Ranger by just over 20%. Looks like part of the reason could be supply chain issues and the other bring the Ranger is going through a refresh this year and some wasn't the newer 6G. It also could be what I've said many times that their advertising (or lack there of) is much better for the Maverick . Then take into consideration the high price of gas we saw last year and the very low price point the base Maverick had when it first launched and this makes sense. Hopefully the next Gen Ranger sales improve because they're losing ground on most of the completion too.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ford-maverick-outsells-ford-ranger-in-2022-by-healthy-margin/

Sales Numbers - Ford Maverick vs. Ford Ranger - 2022 - United States

MODELYTD 22 / YTD 21YTD 22YTD 21
TOTAL+21.63%131,375108,013
FORD MAVERICK+460.94%74,37013,258
FORD RANGER-39.84%57,00594,755
I will say what I have said for a long time now. Ford Motor Company will repeatedly drop features and options from a vehicle, thereby driving down the sales until they get so low that the vehicle is discontinued....they have already dropped like 40+ items from the 5th Generation Ranger...
Sponsored