Ranger less powerful than the competitors?

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The guy that I smoked who was trying to squeeze me out of a freeway onramp lane should read this article the thread is about...I'm sure he will feel much better about getting passed by the lowly 4 banger. LOL PS...he was in a Tacoma
I went to pass a car one early morning on my way to work, he thought he would squeeze me, hahaha, foolish person. I romped on it easily overtook him. He tried to catch me! He finally backed off! Me too, I was doing nearly 100!
Sponsored

r2t2k2

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah this is a sneaky little truck. I caught myself getting into triple digits on I84 and the damned thing wasn’t even breathing heavy. I’m becoming a fanboi of this high tech management of the drivetrain.

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
Yeah this is a sneaky little truck. I caught myself getting into triple digits on I84 and the damned thing wasn’t even breathing heavy. I’m becoming a fanboi of this high tech management of the drivetrain.
I do that on hwy 55 heading up towards Cascade lol

Reactions: Doc

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Jumped on towards Caldwell from Meridian and you are right it gets up to speed fast.

I do that on hwy 55 heading up towards Cascade lol
Watch out for the Valley County Sheriff, they love patrolling that stretch.

Lots of Rangers in the area now. On State street yesterday I had a blue one on the right and silver on the left.

Here is a little trip up the 55

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I passed on buying a GMC Canyon when it was announced Ford was bringing back the Ranger. And then when Ford announced it would only be offered with a 2.3 4 cylinder I was greatly disappointed that turned into anger because I knew it would not tow my 4000 pound boat.

I could not have been more wrong!

Reactions: Doc

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
Jumped on towards Caldwell from Meridian and you are right it gets up to speed fast.

Watch out for the Valley County Sheriff, they love patrolling that stretch.

Lots of Rangers in the area now. On State street yesterday I had a blue one on the right and silver on the left.

Here is a little trip up the 55

Thats funny was just up there yesterday

MyLittleRanger19

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
i did a little street racing a while back and paired up with a fiesta ST that was tuned, had exhaust, BOV and probably some other goodies. we started off slow at the green light but i was pulling away from him all the way to 80mph in the 40 zone. at the next light he rolled his window down and said something to the effect of "thats impressive" in a more...street racer way.

i havent had any issues overtaking on the highways. the 65 to 85 acceleration in these are just amazing.

non fx4 so im slightly lighter but i dont know how much that would make a difference.

im waiting on exhaust and a couple other things before i head to the track for some TT

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
That article is utter trash. Before deciding on the Ranger I test drove all the competitors listed as well as the Ridgeline. Every one of them just left me with wanting to ask, "Really?? Is this is the best you can do with a V6?" I was very hesitant to even look at the Ranger with it only having the 2.3L I4. But when I found that it was the same tech as the Focus RS and having a friend with one and knowing how insane those are I decided to give it a whirl. Well, I came home with the Ranger.

I'm not one to advocate street racing, as it is exceedingly dangerous. But then I might hot foot it every now and then with a sleeper build. I have had a few instances where taking off from the light a tad bit aggressively has spurred some kid in a "sport compact" to want to try to race and I pull away on them. I find it very amusing and rather embarrassing for them when we get to the next light and they open the window to get my attention to tell me how quick the truck is and I reply "Oh I'm sorry, were you trying to race?, Cause I wasn't." The looks of disbelief I get especially if they have a friend with them and you hear the tell tale OOOOHHHH!!!! come from the passenger side... Priceless...

Can't help but get a huge grin as the light turns green and I romp on it showing just what it can do.

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I'm not one to advocate street racing, as it is exceedingly dangerous. But then I might hot foot it every now and then with a sleeper build. I have had a few instances where taking off from the light a tad bit aggressively has spurred some kid in a "sport compact" to want to try to race and I pull away on them. I find it very amusing and rather embarrassing for them when we get to the next light and they open the window to get my attention to tell me how quick the truck is and I reply "Oh I'm sorry, were you trying to race?, Cause I wasn't." The looks of disbelief I get especially if they have a friend with them and you hear the tell tale OOOOHHHH!!!! come from the passenger side... Priceless...
I know all to well that situation. I was heading home and a couple "Kids" in a new Dodge Challenger with "Hemi" all over it were racing everyone from light to light (whether the opposing vehicle wanted to or not.) I finally was able to square off with them at a red light. I looked down at them with a big grin on my face, which seemed to irritate them. I have a Livernois tune installed (thought this is relevant to this story.) I slipped into Sport Mode, brought the RPM to about 2K and as soon as the light "flickered" green I was on it! GREAT Hole Shot! I had a truck length on them off the line and yes the were racing from the get go. I was actually pulling away from them when I lifted. At the next light down came the passenger window on the Dodge and I was asked what I had under the hood, I replied: "a 4 banger." The passenger said: "Let's try that again!" I replied: "Why?" The light changed, they hammered down and I casually drove to the next light where I was again asked to race and again I replied: "Why?" I do believe those youngsters were miffed... :)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I know all to well that situation. I was heading home and a couple "Kids" in a new Dodge Challenger with "Hemi" all over it were racing everyone from light to light (whether the opposing vehicle wanted to or not.) I finally was able to square off with them at a red light. I looked down at them with a big grin on my face, which seemed to irritate them. I have a Livernois tune installed (thought this is relevant to this story.) I slipped into Sport Mode, brought the RPM to about 2K and as soon as the light "flickered" green I was on it! GREAT Hole Shot! I had a truck length on them off the line and yes the were racing from the get go. I was actually pulling away from them when I lifted. At the next light down came the passenger window on the Dodge and I was asked what I had under the hood, I replied: "a 4 banger." The passenger said: "Let's try that again!" I replied: "Why?" The light changed, they hammered down and I casually drove to the next light where I was again asked to race and again I replied: "Why?" I do believe those youngsters were miffed... :)
I’m luvin’ that...
Regards

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
More Fake Reporting. Just like Motor Biscuit....pure junk reporting by writers with their heads up their behind...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
yep, if its not a Taco it can't be good. TFL truck did a test of the 2020 Taco and Ranger, the Ranger beat the Taco in every test but the kid still said he would the Taco because it has a snorkel. None of the "magazines want to admit how good the Ranger is. The Taco and GM twins engines are not good off road, their power and torque are in the 4,500 + RPM which doesn't work well off road.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
"Ford Performance Gives The Ranger A Boost, But It’s No Ranger Raptor"

"it’s less powerful than competitors such as the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Jeep Gladiator, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. "

Fake News scattered in with flat out lies.

I'll bet those clowns don't even know that there is no "Ranger Raptor" here in the USA. But it makes for good click bait.

As far as the competition, here's the comparison... except for Jeep... which really priced itself out of the mid size truck market IMO.

Comparison.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
"Ford Performance Gives The Ranger A Boost, But It’s No Ranger Raptor"

"it’s less powerful than competitors such as the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Jeep Gladiator, Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma. "

Fake News scattered in with flat out lies.

I'll bet those clowns don't even know that there is no "Ranger Raptor" here in the USA. But it makes for good click bait.

As far as the competition, here's the comparison... except for Jeep... which really priced itself out of the mid size truck market IMO.

Comparison.jpg
I'm curious as to how a heavier curb weight is better? You would think a lighter curb weight is better especially on a gas engine. Also for some of us that go offroad a shorter wheelbase is the way to go. I'm really curious how they figured out these in thier findings.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm really curious how they figured out these in thier findings.
I couldn't find an honest comparison that just showed spec's that wasn't biased by the writers personal opinions, so I researched it myself. The chart is for base model trucks (Notice each column clearly states "Base")

I'm curious as to how a heavier curb weight is better? You would think a lighter curb weight is better especially on a gas engine.
One would expect the truck with the best payload and towing capacity to be the heaviest.

Opinions vary but it would be interesting if you would do the research and post it here showing comparison of the specifications that would be applicable to off road use. Based on published specifications I'm sure however you'll find all three will be so close that there won't be a definitive winner, until you look at the items already listed above.

Rangers drivetrain and towing / hauling are what set it apart, in base model trim.
Sponsored

Last edited: