2.3L Ecoboost motor the same between the Mustang & Ranger?

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps, I thought it might of activated easier.

Ahh yes, I can do that too with turbosmart but it's def a lowered hiss, not as prominent as a higher rev hiss. If I stab the pedal from low rpm to 2k and let go real quick it will hiss loudly but the truck jerks funny sometimes as it wants to keep going.
Yea my hiss is pretty much the same sound level no matter what range.

Every once in a while my adapter sticks a little and I get double hiss hiss in quick succession, but doesn't happen very often. I make sure to lube it on occasion. Most people thinks it is air brakes. lol
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Yea my hiss is pretty much the same sound level no matter what range.

Every once in a while my adapter sticks a little and I get double hiss hiss in quick succession, but doesn't happen very often. I make sure to lube it on occasion.
I might have to peek at that bov adaptor and pawn it off to a local friend if it's the same. Thanks for the review Jack!!

A little motor oil at the opening of the hiss might prevent the double hiss, Turbosmart recommends for their product every 10k miles to do that I believe. Especially if get lots of dust from off-roading.

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I might have to peek at that bov adaptor and pawn it off to a local friend if it's the same. Thanks for the review Jack!!

A little motor oil at the opening of the hiss might prevent the double hiss, Turbosmart recommends for their product every 10k miles to do that I believe. Especially if get lots of dust from off-roading.
Yea well maybe I hear things differently so don't hold it against me if it sucks!

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ranger XLT spacecab
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
The Duratec motors which were used to create the 2.3 L mustang Ecoboost were made at the Lima plant and were designed off of the old Lima architecture. While similar, the ranger and mustang engines are different. The Rangers 2.3 L was designed when Ford made the Focus RS.
That's not correct at all, the Duratec engine which descended from the Sigma is unrelated to the Pinto/Lima and the Mazda L (which was also branded Duratec to make it even more confusing).
The Ecoboost 2.3 is the same engine architecture in all vehicles, and both the 2.0 and 2.3 Ecoboost descend from the Mazda L engine, not the old Pinto/Lima engine or the Sigma/Duratec. The Mustang version has a slight difference in the cooling passages, that's about the major difference. Otherwise they're the same. FYI Lima Engine Plant has never built the 2.3 Ecoboost.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle fleet engineer
At least for the 2016-2017 Focus RS, that was not a problem with the design, (as I understand, it's very similar to the Ranger cooling setup) but rather Ford found a problem with the head gaskets for the updated design and decided to install some other 2.3 head gasket that was not designed for this new cooling setup. I'm 100% sure this was not a "oh we accidently installed the wrong head gaskets on the RS engines" problem as some will insist it is.
I know a few people inside Ford Australia, and it absolutely was a "we installed the wrong head gasket" issue. Ford Australia even publicly commented as such. As unfortunate as it was, the supplier of the head gaskets was sending the Valencia engine plant the wrong head gaskets (not the updated RS version), as we now know there are differences in the cooling passages at the top of the deck vs the earlier version of the 2.3. I have three friends that had their cars recalled (it was a 100% recall in Australia for vehicles built prior to the discovery being made) and one had the whole head replaced as the engine failed the compression test as part of the recall. The correct head gasket was installed and the cars are running perfectly fine now. It's a shame it was never picked up from day one.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I know a few people inside Ford Australia, and it absolutely was a "we installed the wrong head gasket" issue. Ford Australia even publicly commented as such. As unfortunate as it was, the supplier of the head gaskets was sending the Valencia engine plant the wrong head gaskets (not the updated RS version), as we now know there are differences in the cooling passages at the top of the deck vs the earlier version of the 2.3. I have three friends that had their cars recalled (it was a 100% recall in Australia for vehicles built prior to the discovery being made) and one had the whole head replaced as the engine failed the compression test as part of the recall. The correct head gasket was installed and the cars are running perfectly fine now. It's a shame it was never picked up from day one.
There is no logical way that is true. Had that been the issue, it would have been addressed much faster (like that month when the supplier shipped out the right ones) and the wrong gasket would not have been used for over a year. There were engine failures in the US in the fall of 2016 due to head gaskets failing, the car was only out about 4 months at that time. Also, there would not have been a new revision before addressing it. Every 2016 and almost all 2017 until about a June-July production date in 2017 were delivered with the wrong gasket. That story from Ford was just a PR story. In March of 2018 when the recall (well, in the US it was only a TSB, I'm guessing that was more for the stockholders since actual recalls go into the national database here) was finally released I got mine in the shop After almost a year of complaining to them about the coolant lose and the shop saying nothing was wrong. I got the new revised head gasket and the head replaced.

I don't think Ford even told Ford Performance side about the issue, as FP released a tune and power pack in the US during the fall of 2017, then within a day pulled it, I'm guessing that is when Ford told them the tune was about guaranteed to blow the head gaskets since they were almost all the wrong one at that time. FP never shipped the ordered kits as far as I can tell, and even after the recall was done, never put the kit back on the market.

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
One difference I came across is the PVC crankcase vent cover. I was going to swap out the factory one with an aluminum baffled aftermarket RS one and they specifically stated that they will not fit the Ranger 3.2
Sponsored