Ranger Gets Ford Performance Parts Leveling Kits with Coil-overs & Fox Shocks

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I ordered my kit from Levittown Ford, and just finished installing the rear shocks, the front coilovers will go on this weekend. Even with just the rear shocks, the ride-wobble has been significantly cut back; before installing, I compared the OEM FX4 shocks with the Fox, and the FX4s were much easier to compress by hand - they were pretty soft. Looking forward to installing the fronts and the resulting improved ride/ground clearance.
Sponsored

pbb_photo

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pbbphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
Occupation
Photographer
I just posted some updates that are more about tire size, but also applicable to the ford/fox kit I installed here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ordered-255-75r17-crazy.5080/page-3#post-107906

Basically I found smoother tires and now I’m in love with this kit! And I love my ranger once again! Though I would only recommend this kit to someone who needs a bit taller tire and needs to be off-road often. The stock tires and stock level are much more efficient. For me, I found my stock fx4 shocks great for highway and on road. I didn’t mind the cushy bounce. Fox kit does handles amazing. I would imagine guys putting the 2.0 kit on heavier trucks would be happier with 2.5. But for these reasonably light trucks I bet they will hold up and be great for a long time. Then send them for a rebuild when they're overworked. I’ll get some more pics soon. Thanks for all the info and input to all you guys as well.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger XLT S-crew FX4
I'm installing my coilovers and the cv axles are being a real pain in the ass. The passenger side I was able to get back together after a few minutes of wiggling and rotating the rotor, but the driver side is not being as compliant.

I did the same procedure as the Stage 3 motorsports YouTube video on installing the fox shocks. Anyone have any tips for how to get the cv axles to slide in all the way so I can get the spindle back to its normal position?

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I'm installing my coilovers and the cv axles are being a real pain in the ass. The passenger side I was able to get back together after a few minutes of wiggling and rotating the rotor, but the driver side is not being as compliant.

I did the same procedure as the Stage 3 motorsports YouTube video on installing the fox shocks. Anyone have any tips for how to get the cv axles to slide in all the way so I can get the spindle back to its normal position?
The best way is to not deal with it at all. I’ve watched install videos and they make it look so easy. But the reality is you should all be removing the axle nuts and loosening the axle from the hub so this doesn’t happen. That’s how I did it and had zero issue with CV joints.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I undid the axle nut, but couldn't push the shaft out of the hub; in the process I was inadvertently pulling the shaft out of the differential - that's when I stopped and reversed course. I was lucky enough to wiggle the shaft back into the diff., after which I buttoned everything back up, and let a shop deal with it. Now I'm happily sitting 2 inches higher in the cab.

Guinness

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it's definitely a pain and easy to have them get out of place.

On the inside of the joint there are three toroid shaped bearings. If you can tilt it and get one into place first, we found it's easier wiggling the other two in easier (assuming you let it happen enough to get practiced at fixing it...)

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, it's definitely a pain and easy to have them get out of place.

On the inside of the joint there are three toroid shaped bearings. If you can tilt it and get one into place first, we found it's easier wiggling the other two in easier (assuming you let it happen enough to get practiced at fixing it...)
I watched a video to see the anatomy of these CV axles inside the boots and I think you are spot on. Neither boot popped off and when I put downward pressure on the control arm, I can turn the rotor and it spins the axle shaft all the way up to those toroidal bearings. When I bring the spindle up and wiggle it a bit, I can get it to engage enough that I can spin the entire axle shaft going into the differential.

So I guess I need to just get it into position and use more force until it pops in all the way.

Alex Bedrosian

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger xlt fx4
Vehicle Showcase

I had a similar experience, watching stage 3 and the other videos I found of people casually tossing it back is in BS. I got another smaller bottle jack and jacked up the lower control arm slowly until it was in line, then it fell into place with 0 effort

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar experience, watching stage 3 and the other videos I found of people casually tossing it back is in BS. I got another smaller bottle jack and jacked up the lower control arm slowly until it was in line, then it fell into place with 0 effort
Thanks, that worked, it was a bear right up until it just slid in effortlessly. Everything is back together and now its time to do the rear shocks.

Donnie Hilterbrand

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Maintenance GE
I have been watching and reading about the Ford Performance Fox Kit. Seems that everyone is wanting them due to the warranty. I'm a bit confused to that from what i read on the warranty papers from Ford. it is covered from date of install to only 12000 miles so if you purchased a brand new Ranger and had this installed your only good to 12000 miles not the 3yr or 36K. If i'm incorrect please someone explain.

Donnie Hilterbrand

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Maintenance GE
Just confused why would you pay 500 bucks more and the dealership service of install when you could get the same kit, as like on stage3 for far less.

Theodore

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT supercab FX4
Has anyone order this kit and had it installed through a dealer in Canada?

CANned Ranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Analyst
I've looked pretty hard, but haven't found the max size on the stock 18" rim with the FP/Fox levelling kit. Put the kit in yesterday, and have the 265/70R18 BFG TA Ko2s waiting. Will these rub during steering/articulation?
20200307_121516_HDR.jpg

Thanks....