Ordered 255/75R17 - Crazy?

Discussion in 'Tires / Wheels / Brakes' started by uthunter, Nov 14, 2019.

1. GSaff

GSaff Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4; 2018 BMW X3
    Retired
    Perfect for the snow out here. Plus I don't like a wide tire. Old fart syndrome maybe... These were taken early September- there's a foot and a half of snow on the ground now.

fullsizeoutput_99.jpeg

IMG_7376.JPG

pbb_photo, Dallas09m3 and Flapilot like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    uthunter

uthunter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
    Here's another example..
    20191124_130618.jpg

RoadBoss and Flapilot like this.
  3. Flapilot

Flapilot Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jordan
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 XLT
    Thanks!

Plenty wide enough. I love the look of the 285’s but I think the 255 will do just fine and he’ll keep some mpg’s.

4. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XLT

5. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

First Name:
    Joey
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger XLT
    Disregard wording with pics on previous post. Not sure what happened.
    Just wanted to say in a nutshell; thanks to Gsaff I ended up going with falken wildpeaks at3w 255/80r17 and couldn't be happier. At least half an inch space at any revolution. Outside of maxtrac 2.5inch level. No other tire/wheel mods, trimming or rubbing. One day in and I don't notice any negative ride difference, but still early.

AzScorpion likes this.
  6. pbb_photo

pbb_photo Member

First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
    Photographer
    Nice, looks awesome. Thats the same tire I ordered. I tried to get them through 4wheelparts in Salt Lake, but after I ordered they said they were back ordered by like 2 months! So I had them cancel the order. Then, I tried through tiresnationoutlet.com as I couldn't find them in stock anywhere. They were due in yesterday and only one showed up. UPS says they don't know where the other 3 are even though each has its own tracking, and now are doing a 'investigation'. So needless to say its been a nightmare trying to get these tires. If you know of a good source that ships let me know. Thanks

7. AzScorpion

AzScorpion Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4

The stock 265/65/17 Hankooks are 35lbs. My Nitto Ridge Grapplers are 43.65lbs with a 2.5" level kit and I can tell the difference (rolling mass) from the stock tires. Not a huge difference but it's noticeable. Lost about 1-2 mpg city and highway was a few more especially once you're going over 70 mph. You're definitely going to see a reduction in mpg's with that much more weight.

llm.flyfisher likes this.
  8. C113

C113 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger
    I have these with no lift and no rubbing at all. I take it off road and never had them rub.

20191027_142207.jpg

20200115_002404.jpg

20200115_002720.jpg

9. pbb_photo

pbb_photo Member

First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle(s):
    Photographer
    Interesting happenings... this is the short version lol

I installed the Ford/fox 2.0 kit, wanted the Falken Wildpeak AT3 in a 255/80/17 after lots of reading and reviews. I couldn’t find them in stock anywhere. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers, while a touch heavier and beefier in the same 255/80/17 were a close second and readily available. I had a very reputable tire store mount and and balance them. There was a lot of vibration, lag, drop in gas mileage. I have run BFGoodrich and Goodyear DuraTracs in even bigger sizes than these on my old Frontier, so am use to the feel of a more aggressive and large tire. These Nittos did not feel right. I went to my local ford dealership to have them test drive it and make sure everything was still aligned. They said they were out of balance. I called the tire store and they said no prob it happens sometimes, we will rebalance for free. Everyone was super helpful, and the guy at the tire store had a new 5g ranger as well, so we were swapping stories and setups. The balance felt better, but still not what I wanted. I was disappointed as I missed that smooth ranger ride with the upgraded fox suspension. I ended up finding some Falken Wildpeaks. With my ford credit I had them mount and balance them. When I drove away I got on the highway and they felt as smooth as the stock Hankooks. Still a really aggressive tread and great in snow and mud. My suspension feels great as the vibrations are gone and I can actually feel the compression and ride more accurately. It is really amazing how smooth they are. Now I understand all the positive reviews for them. Needless to say I have my hankooks and the mottos for sale! I love my ranger again! I’ll get more photos but here’s a fun one. Thanks to everyone on here for all the info too

E73CB90A-6E25-41DD-8CDC-9AE679ACEF6D.jpeg

RoadBoss and BDoc like this.
  10. AzScorpion

AzScorpion Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4

That's surprising with the Nittos,glad you got it straightened out though. I've had them on now for over 3,000 miles and love them. While mine are a smaller size 265/70/17 they're just as quite as the stock Hankooks and the ride is very smooth. The only difference I notice between these and the stock ones are the rolling resistance when you let off the gas,the Hankooks obviously roll a lot further.

11. pbb_photo

pbb_photo Member

First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle(s):
    Photographer
    Yeah that’s crazy. I’ve heard nothing but good things on these Nittos. Maybe a bad set? I dunno but I frickin love the Wildpeaks

BDoc and AzScorpion like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Sport

I don’t think your store was balancing them correctly. I had a set of 33s on a 16inch rim on my 1st gen Tundra and they were smooth and by far the best looking tire. Had no issues off or on road. I’ve also had the Falkens in a 32 on my Tacoma. There were also great tires but got a quick puncture in one of them. Which can happen to any tire. But none the less I think the Nittos are by far the best looking tire. Only downside with them is the price.

13. pbb_photo

pbb_photo Member

First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle(s):
    Photographer
    Good to know. I could have Ford balance the nittos, but am over spending time on this, and I love the look and feel of the wildpeak so will stick with those. And they’re a bit lighter too.

14. Pathung

Pathung Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger XLT Sport FX4
    Sometimes a tire is "out-of-round", straight from the factory, so you may have gotten one of those.

pbb_photo likes this.