Ranger Gets Ford Performance Parts Leveling Kits with Coil-overs & Fox Shocks

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I have the Lariat SuperCab FX4 offroad package truck. I decided to go with the Ford kit in lieu of the FOX kit even though the Ford kit was more expensive and they are the same components per my understanding. The Ford kit front coil over struts are set at 2 inch lift versus the 3 inch for the FOX kit out of the box. Yes, I understand the FOX coil overs could be adjusted down to 2 inches but I decided not to hassle with that. I figured there must be a reason Ford decided on 2 inches for the front lift.

I had the kit installed at the local Ford dealer in lieu of doing the work myself for the warranty consideration. The final cost including tax was $1933 USD (sales tax rate 8.6%). The cost included the kit, labor to install, alignment and boots for the rear shocks. I made sure they adjusted the headlights and the radar unit for the cruise adaptive feature when doing the work. I had a copy of the Ford work procedure. I also noted that they used the new hardware that comes in the kit. The dealer has a dedicated team that does aftermarket accessory installs like thi skit was.

Driving home I noted a significant improvement in how the truck rode. Wasn't the "bouncy" ride you often get with the stock suspension ! Very comfortable ride IMHO. I haven't used the truck offroad so I have no comment. I did have to change the seating position after the kit install. I'm 6-2 and I like the seating position though I did tinker multiple times to get the right position that I preferred. But that was the same story with the original suspension. I think my seating position is little changed from what I had it set with the stock suspension.

Would I do it again ......absolutely ! The truck is greatly improved from stock configuration. The only issue I have is what to do with the removed parts. Doubt if there is any market for them. Only have about 2500 miles on them.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase

dallas121469

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sonographer
My biggest peeve with the raked suspension is when I was off roading. the front sensors would alarm on every little rut. Now it only goes off if I'm in a big hole. I also think the greatly increased approach angle saved my butt this past weekend from plowing into a hole I misjudged. I probably would have had front end damage or at the very least buried my bumper in the sand. I'm sold on the kit.

I've also noticed I don't get bounced around inside the trunk as hittmuch whening ruts at speed. Same with speed bumps.

Last edited:

pbb_photo

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pbbphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4, Technology, Tow, 6ft Bed
Occupation
Photographer
I just popped mine out today. I'll let you know how hard they are to repair
I just finished installing my kit. Read this and as I am a novice with no real experience, other than a few basic mechanics, I was wondering how obvious this would be if it happened to me? My wheels turn and I can’t here any real change in noise. It seams to drive smooth and pretty quite, like normal I think. (Not aligned yet I can feel that) But again I’m a novice installer. Anything that would make it obvious if mine popped out? Thanks

Sunpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished installing my kit. Read this and as I am a novice with no real experience, other than a few basic mechanics, I was wondering how obvious this would be if it happened to me? My wheels turn and I can’t here any real change in noise. It seams to drive smooth and pretty quite, like normal I think. (Not aligned yet I can feel that) But again I’m a novice installer. Anything that would make it obvious if mine popped out? Thanks
You would know if they popped out. You would not get the knuckle and ball joint back together properly. If everything is working you did a good job.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
So far a lot better. It’s for sure a stiffer ride which is expected but at speed things soften up quick! Can’t wait to take her out on some trails!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Lariat SuperCab FX4 offroad package truck. I decided to go with the Ford kit in lieu of the FOX kit even though the Ford kit was more expensive and they are the same components per my understanding. The Ford kit front coil over struts are set at 2 inch lift versus the 3 inch for the FOX kit out of the box. Yes, I understand the FOX coil overs could be adjusted down to 2 inches but I decided not to hassle with that. I figured there must be a reason Ford decided on 2 inches for the front lift.

I had the kit installed at the local Ford dealer in lieu of doing the work myself for the warranty consideration. The final cost including tax was $1933 USD (sales tax rate 8.6%). The cost included the kit, labor to install, alignment and boots for the rear shocks. I made sure they adjusted the headlights and the radar unit for the cruise adaptive feature when doing the work. I had a copy of the Ford work procedure. I also noted that they used the new hardware that comes in the kit. The dealer has a dedicated team that does aftermarket accessory installs like thi skit was.

Driving home I noted a significant improvement in how the truck rode. Wasn't the "bouncy" ride you often get with the stock suspension ! Very comfortable ride IMHO. I haven't used the truck offroad so I have no comment. I did have to change the seating position after the kit install. I'm 6-2 and I like the seating position though I did tinker multiple times to get the right position that I preferred. But that was the same story with the original suspension. I think my seating position is little changed from what I had it set with the stock suspension.

Would I do it again ......absolutely ! The truck is greatly improved from stock configuration. The only issue I have is what to do with the removed parts. Doubt if there is any market for them. Only have about 2500 miles on them.
Your experience with the Ford/Fox Kit sounds a lot like mine. It took the bouncing and banging out of the ride. You still feel the road, but it does not beat you up like it did before. The enhanced approach and clearance angles, and the higher seating position are changes for the better as well. I solved the "removed-parts issue" right on the spot by giving them back to the Ford techs who did the work. I have no idea what they will do with them, as there can't be much of a market for them? I do know that if I had taken them home, they would have sat in my garage until the end of time....

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Be careful when the dealer says they will do the work. A lot of them farm out the work because it’s cheaper then paying there own guys to do it.

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Just drove my FX4 home from the installation of the Ford Racing/Fox lift kit. So far, I'm very pleased with the more planted, stable, less wallowy (is that a word??) and bouncy ride up front. Rear feels about the same - that is to say a little bouncy over speed bumps, but overall, I'm very pleased. Way more clearance for the trails in Colorado and California this summer. Woooooot!! Sorry for the low contrast, dark pic - just got home. Better pics tomorrow.

FR-Fox lift.jpg

Last edited:

Ranger305

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Oxford White Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired!
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a better picture the FR/Fox Offroad Kit installed. Was considering a 1-inch lift in the rear with block or an add-a-leaf, but I really like the look as is. FYI: 39" from ground to top of fender arc on both front and rear - Perfect.
Also - experienced a slight rubbing of the front tires against the inside molded flange of the air diverter in front of the front wheels when backing up at full lock. Will do the required trimming tomorrow. Very happy with the swap.

**** UPDATE **** : The air diverter in front of the two front tires was rubbing against my new BFGs when I reversed at full lock. If you look closely at them, they have a 'flange' of sorts at the very bottom that protrudes very slightly towards the tires. I removed that 'flange' as well as about 1/8" off the bottom of the plastic air deflector and no more rubbing at any wheel position. I've attached a picture.

Lifted 1.jpg

Mod 1.jpg

Last edited:

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a better picture the FR/Fox Offroad Kit installed. Was considering a 1-inch lift in the rear with block or an add-a-leaf, but I really like the look as is. FYI: 39" from ground to top of fender arc on both front and rear - Perfect.
Also - experienced a slight rubbing of the front tires against the inside molded flange of the air diverter in front of the front wheels when backing up at full lock. Will do the required trimming tomorrow. Very happy with the swap.

Lifted 1.jpg
Looks great! :like:

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang

Lifted 1.jpg
That stance looks perfect and the white really sets the wheels off!
Sponsored