Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
So to answer the OP's question:

If you were to use the standard 9.6oz cans of WD-40, it would take exactly 20.66 cans to fill the crankcase to the specified 6.2 qts --quick mafs.

Whatever you do, DO NOT pour the remaining 33% (3.168oz) of the final 21st WD-40 can into the engine. Pray to gawd you don't accidentally dump it in...

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Pic after driving it home from work and a good cool down. Right around 4500 miles on this oil change with 6 quarts + a bit of another quart added after it was run to check for leaks etc.

Cycling my oil at 5k. The Ford stuff is in the garage and ready to go soon.

AEM in the background due to an unrelated thread.

20230323_191000.jpg

OP
OP

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Pic after driving it home from work and a good cool down. Right around 4500 miles on this oil change with 6 quarts + a bit of another quart added after it was run to check for leaks etc.

Cycling my oil at 5k. The Ford stuff is in the garage and ready to go soon.

AEM in the background due to an unrelated thread.

20230323_191000.jpg
Your definitely at max level

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I just put in 6 quarts and am above full already. Driveway is basically flat. Will try parking on a hill to see if the dipstick is off. I don’t like the fact that I’m .2 low and yet it’s showing above the full mark.

Conman50

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger; 2014 Ford Fusion
Just did mine today and with 6qts its above the checkered mark....kind of hard to read this dip stick, seems like its way over the mark most of the time I check

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I just put in 6 quarts and don't worry about it. It's at the full mark with that. 0.2 quarts ain't that much, that's a fifth of a quart.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I just put in 6 quarts and don't worry about it. It's at the full mark with that. 0.2 quarts ain't that much, that's a fifth of a quart.
My mild OCD with truck maintenance says get that evil our of here. That 0.2 could be the difference in spinning a bearing or getting stopped in time if you spring a leak. That is what the voices in my head tell me anyway. They can be mean.

Random observation of advise in this site. One camp says just throw in 6 and go. While others are getting slightly bigger filters to add capacity to an already bonkers amount of oil for a 2.3. This thing takes more than the 6.0 v8 I just got rid of a bit ago.... I use OEM oil and filters at the recommended level. So in the middle of those two myself.

Also, I keep a quart in the swing case in the event I need to top off. So I've been using that to bring it to the full marker. So far, it hasn't lost any over 5k OCIs... but keeping at least part of a quart on hand is a habit after my last vehicle would eat half a quart or more by 3k.

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
I just bring 6 quarts to my mechanic and he never mentions that he had to add extra.
I check it regularly and all is fine, very little fuel smell even!

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
My mild OCD with truck maintenance says get that evil our of here. That 0.2 could be the difference in spinning a bearing or getting stopped in time if you spring a leak. That is what the voices in my head tell me anyway. They can be mean.

Random observation of advise in this site. One camp says just throw in 6 and go. While others are getting slightly bigger filters to add capacity to an already bonkers amount of oil for a 2.3. This thing takes more than the 6.0 v8 I just got rid of a bit ago.... I use OEM oil and filters at the recommended level. So in the middle of those two myself.

Also, I keep a quart in the swing case in the event I need to top off. So I've been using that to bring it to the full marker. So far, it hasn't lost any over 5k OCIs... but keeping at least part of a quart on hand is a habit after my last vehicle would eat half a quart or more by 3k.
6 quarts is one more than a lot of V8's take. Like I said, I put in an even 6 and it's at the full mark on the dipstick.
Synthetic oil and new filter every 5000 miles is probably overkill but you can't be too careful.
An FL-400S is a little bigger and fits fine. I got one once when they were out of FL-910's.
On the other hand, my daughter's Fiesta calls for 4.5 and if you put in 4 it shows low. So I just save the extra half quart for the next oil change.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I just changed my oil. A new Napa Gold 1348 (WIX) filter and 6qts full synthetic.

My oil level shows about an 1/8th of an inch below max full.

Works for me.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I've always put a little less in, run the engine to cycle it and recheck the level. Add more of needed. Maybe even 0.2 more.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
6.2 quarts and forget it, check every so often after the dipstick is out of the tube for a minute for accurate reading

Had 1% fuel in my oil according to last week's Blackstone report (2% past report), metals and everything else is good, no rising level like others claim

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Little over 4k miles on my last change of 6 qts. It rose from about 1/8" above the hashed area to the max fill hole in the first 500 miles and has stayed there since. Picture after overnight cool off. It is thin so took me a few attempts to get a decent picture.

IMG_20230821_125812090_HDR.jpg

Edit: turned on camera flash for better picture.
IMG_20230821_132812711.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: