OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
There we go...finally finished the rocker lights...boring 3/4" holes through the steps with carbide tipped cutter was a nail biter...after that, the black light rings were RTV'd to the steps and set over night...took another 4 hours running cables from tail lamp harness to each LED going forward on each side...?

IMG_7501.JPG

IMG_7502.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7504.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

Two for...reflecting off door panels doubles the effect...really helps light up the entry when opened at night...

Nilight TL-03

716IpEJv5jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I too am a fan of nilight. Their build quality on some of their newer products is really impressive

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

What was the nail biter? Too big a drill bit? Tough drilling due to alloy metal used?

Best,
Phil
Hi Phil...the carbide bit I used did the job on the first two holes but one by one, the tips started to catch causing abrupt sudden yank on on the drill (and me o_O) ...ultimately, a few carbide tips broke off near the end of the sixth hole...I used plenty of lubricant during the process...probably not an issue if I could've worked with a drill press but not the case here...the 1/8" steel Shrock used is pretty hard...

51-I6F+nx0L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
MISFIT is starting to look like those big rigs with everything covered in lights rolling down the highway.

I'm not patient enough to run that much wire. I'd like to add some rear facing backup LEDs, a bed light or two an maybe some rock spotters underneath. The rock spotters would be overkill for my use an the bed an backup lights would be nice but rarely used. Your build is ALMOST enough to motivate me to do some so I better avoid following your build.

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
MISFIT is starting to look like those big rigs with everything covered in lights rolling down the highway.

I'm not patient enough to run that much wire. I'd like to add some rear facing backup LEDs, a bed light or two an maybe some rock spotters underneath. The rock spotters would be overkill for my use an the bed an backup lights would be nice but rarely used. Your build is ALMOST enough to motivate me to do some so I better avoid following your build.
Spending hours running wires under the truck, soldering, heat shrink wrap...then.flip the switch and lights come one...best therapy... ?

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Spending hours running wires under the truck, soldering, heat shrink wrap...then.flip the switch and lights come one...best therapy... ?
I wired up the lights on the drivers rocker, flipped the switch = NOTHING! The clearance lights used one black and one white wire. And wouldn’t you know it - commercial trucks use black as positive, and white as negative. Anti-climactic the second time.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Anytime something works right after spending time on it, is a win!
?

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wired up the lights on the drivers rocker, flipped the switch = NOTHING! The clearance lights used one black and one white wire. And wouldn’t you know it - commercial trucks use black as positive, and white as negative. Anti-climactic the second time.
That crossed my mine while searching through the harness diagram...I tested ONE light before full commit to make sure it lit up when the marker switch was on...I also tested every LED at the battery terminal to make sure there were no duds... ?

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
There we go...finally finished the rocker lights...boring 3/4" holes through the steps with carbide tipped cutter was a nail biter...after that, the black light rings were RTV'd to the steps and set over night...took another 4 hours running cables from tail lamp harness to each LED going forward on each side...?

IMG_7501.JPG

IMG_7502.JPG

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7505.JPG

IMG_7504.JPG

IMG_7503.JPG

Two for...reflecting off door panels doubles the effect...really helps light up the entry when opened at night...

Nilight TL-03

716IpEJv5jL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
They look great, Sid. You've got a really good start to the lighting :LOL:

Every time I see a new reply to this thread, I think "What lights did Sid install this time?" lol

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
When I do wiring/electric work I'm like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. I plug it all in annnnnnnnnnn NOTHING. I overlooked something simple like a wall switch

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I do wiring/electric work I'm like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. I plug it all in annnnnnnnnnn NOTHING. I overlooked something simple like a wall switch
I really could use my dad's help who's a retired Ford electrical engineer...but he lives 700 miles away...I'm a car designer who has trouble wrapping his brain around a 3 way light switch... o_O?

Last edited:

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I haven't read the whole thread yet. Could you tell me what software your running on you ipad for the truck and how it reads the info from the truck?

And what sliders you have there?
Thanks!

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't read the whole thread yet. Could you tell me what software your running on you ipad for the truck and how it reads the info from the truck?

And what sliders you have there?
Thanks!
I use OBD Fusion app...I hear Torque is better but it's for Android...the slider is from Shrock...

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Finally attended to the offending eye sore...my front side markers were upgraded with a million year life LEDs and I think they're a bit brighter than standard bulbs making them stand out as extra yellow when compared to the other markers...and the OEM reflector requirement making them larger than desirable...so I overlaid with Orange tint to make them Amber and created a finish border to reduce their visual size...

Before:

IMG_7448.JPG

After, off:

IMG_7510.JPG

After, on:

IMG_7514.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since XLT gets the cheap mirror without a turn repeater...here's a solution I assembled today...?

Nilite 3.5" LED Amber strips fits nicely into the channel inside the trim...there's a hidden 10mm flat surface...application of adhesion promoter and the included 3M VHB tape, this will not go anywhere...almost like it was made for this idea...I'm intending this to be a dedicated turn/hazard lamp so to the blind spot vehicle, this will be a vivid surprise/warning...

IMG_7550.JPG

Test power and fit prior to permanent adhesive bond...

IMG_7549.JPG

Flip the turn signal and...ooo happy therapy...mmmm...Dopamine...?

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

Can't wait to see them in action tonight...I'll add MOV later...
Sponsored

Last edited: