Premium fuel?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Well I stayed at a friends place in Del Norte - he has a Buick with the blown 3.8l - I might add a newer Buick because he ran 85 octane in his former blown Buick and got a nice hole in a piston. Now he told me he bought a new truck, but his wife shows me the GM commercial where he bought the 2 new GMs - envoy and silverado, and she loves the pickup, , so the new truck in the garage is a Ford Platinum F series with the 6.2 liter twin turbo powerstroke - 980 lbs/ft of torque.
He was kind and told me he liked my Ranger. 980 lbs of torque - OMG.
On the Hyundai board some guy in denver posted the dealer told him 85 octane will work just fine in his 2.0T , not a question of if but when that the engine gives it up, the Hyundai Theta II engine is about as fragile as it gets when it comes to durability, they've replaced well over 250k of them.
The problem is the altitude, everybody in Denver is High! :wink: :crackup:
Sponsored

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Been using 93 from the beginning. Odd what you can get where, in IA 20 miles from me, Sam's has 91 and 3/4 miles away is a Costco that has 93....at the same price which is usually about 20 cents/gal cheaper than where I am in IL.

Reactions: Doc

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Ran my stock 2019 for over a year with 87 (Shell). Switched to 91 in the last 6 weeks or so ago (on 3rd tank now) and it does feel like I’m getting better performance.

Pretty sure mpg’s are getting better too, they are slowly going up in my mainly city miles.... of course they then get thrashed when I do a little sport mode here and there...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ran my stock 2019 for over a year with 87 (Shell). Switched to 91 in the last 6 weeks or so ago (on 3rd tank now) and it does feel like I’m getting better performance.

Pretty sure mpg’s are getting better too, they are slowly going up in my mainly city miles.... of course they then get thrashed when I do a little sport mode here and there...
At best your MPG will go up 1-2 at best as that is what i noticed as long as I was kind to the throttle. Did the performance increase? Absolutely just not as much as one would think. If anything the EcoBoost LOVES premium fuel!!! I say keep running it as it is worth the price increase. Also if you have Conoco Phillips 66 or 76 gas stations near you get the Conoco or Phillips 66 app and you can save a minimum of $0.15 off a gallon to start with. Every little bit will count.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At best your MPG will go up 1-2 at best as that is what i noticed as long as I was kind to the throttle. Did the performance increase? Absolutely just not as much as one would think. If anything the EcoBoost LOVES premium fuel!!! I say keep running it as it is worth the price increase. Also if you have Conoco Phillips 66 or 76 gas stations near you get the Conoco or Phillips 66 app and you can save a minimum of $0.15 off a gallon to start with. Every little bit will count.
No Conoco/Philips here in Canada (at least not here in Ontario) so nice dice on those great discounts :(

I do have a Shell app that’s linked to AirMiles so that can be a somewhat equivalent here, but it can’t beat those discounts.

And to add: my trip km/L ratio went from 8.4 last week to 8.6 this week. It’ll get better at this rate I have no doubt, but not sure how close to 9.* I can get but that is the new target.
Pretty sure it was around 12’ish km/L when I first got it last March 2019 (new), but it was pretty overwhelming at the time with all the different displays that I could be full of it too... that was over 365 days ago (but still smiling!!)

Chris

2019 S-Crew Lariat FX/4

Chris

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
No Conoco/Philips here in Canada (at least not here in Ontario) so nice dice on those great discounts :(

I do have a Shell app that’s linked to AirMiles so that can be a somewhat equivalent here, but it can’t beat those discounts.

And to add: my trip km/L ratio went from 8.4 last week to 8.6 this week. It’ll get better at this rate I have no doubt, but not sure how close to 9.* I can get but that is the new target.
Pretty sure it was around 12’ish km/L when I first got it last March 2019 (new), but it was pretty overwhelming at the time with all the different displays that I could be full of it too... that was over 365 days ago (but still smiling!!)

Chris

2019 S-Crew Lariat FX/4

Chris
I'm not sure if you do this but i always reset my trip and average MPG when I fill up. If anything it gives me an idea on how I am doing in various conditions. It also tels me when my foot isnt so kind either. Might be worth doing the same if not done already

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure if you do this but i always reset my trip and average MPG when I fill up. If anything it gives me an idea on how I am doing in various conditions. It also tels me when my foot isnt so kind either. Might be worth doing the same if not done already
I have not done the reset but I’ll try that just to see. I’ve read where some folks have reset either 1 or 2 but I keep forgetting to do that,

And yes, we have “mean” feet :)

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've gone into to Engineering Mode to 'correct' the onboarding mileage computer, and compared to hand calculations it's pretty close so I'm relying on it a bit more. I think the aftermarket tune has thrown things off a hair so I'll go back to manual in a bit. I joined Sam's club recently, they sell 93 Octane ten cents cheaper than the 89 I was stuck with previously and 20 cents per gallon cheaper than the 91 I had to go out of the way to buy. 93/94 Octane anywhere else was up to forty cents higher.

I'd highly recommend joining a club that includes discount gas pricing as long as it's along your usual route.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
To get back to the real subject of this thread....
I filled up with Sunoco premium today at about 1/4 tank after running mid-grade fuel exclusively. I am a doubter as to the benefits of premium under normal driving conditions so we shall see. In order to minimize the fuel dilution effect I'll fill with premium at the next fill up as well. I doubt I'll feel any any real difference over the next few weeks though.
I am ending my one off test and returning to using 89 octane mid-grade. There was no improvement in mileage, stayed the same at 25.7 mpg. If there was any performance improvement at all it may have been at 90% plus throttle position, which makes sense. Since I am not towing and have little need, or am rarely able to use a lot of throttle it's back to mid grade for me,, besides it's darn close to the 91 some of you guys are using.
image0.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Shell 93 here is .70 more a gal than 87 an I run through 15 gallons a week or more so roughly $550 a year. Non top tier an places with 91 look to be about .60 more for premium. I might try it thinking a 2 mpg increase would cut the cost of premium in half. I have the Livernois 87-89 tune an usually run Shell 89. I'm averaging 22.5 in my mix of driving. I usually set the cruise for 65 going to work an 75 coming home.
Sponsored