Premium fuel?

Texas Scout

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, White Platinum
You like most commenting. Are stuck on your thinking e85. (85% ethanol)I will say this on last time. Adding 1 gallon of e85 to 87 octane Gasoline does NOT turn the entire mix to 85% Ethanol. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. everyone assumes the stock pump and fuel injectors will max out from a gallon or two of e85 mixed in with 87. But that same system pump and injectors will handle an additional 50 horsepower. thru Fords power pack tune. Either the stock system is maxed out or it’s not! I’m going with Not because you don’t make an additional 50hp/50 tq. Without adding fuel and air! moving on. When detonation is detected by the knock sensors. What will the PCM do?.........it’ll cut timing and chopS fuel to safe the engine. Did any of you even watch the video I posted? It’s the most scientific explanation. Of what I’m talking about you can possibly find. Yet everyone has ignored it! The video used real world fuels. and explained the the damage different fuels have on engine parts. Like I said. I’m not going anywhere. So get your bets in now! 3 to 1 odds is a money maker for all of you by the book/scared of anything out of your little comfort zone forum warriors. If my engine blows in the next year. I will happily eat crow and report it right in this thread! But next year at this time. You all will say. Gee I guess you got lucky. I don’t understand how you got so lucky. And I’ll reply that’s right you don’t understand. And we can go round and round for another 14 pages!
Hmmm, I thought you were out... I was hopeful, but you cannot let it go... Please go start your own thread on your "topic"
Sponsored

Texas Scout

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, White Platinum
I’m going to bow out Of this thread for good now.
Promises, promises! Please, I was walking down the hall looking for the debate thread and opened the argument thread by mistake, however, the mistake was not mine...
Dude, just chill and go start your own thread on your topic!
You will feel better! I know I will knowing you are in a better place :like:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I’m GoNnA tRy ThIs... cHeCk EnGiNe LiGhT jUsT mEaNs To ChECk HoW gReAt ThE eNgInE wOrKs NoW rIgHt???
Have you tried BBQ Lighter Fuel mixed with regular and mid level - definite boost!

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Lol cant complain about that cop.

Also remember that here in Colorado regular is 85 and that is a big no no for our trucks. Is see people run that in thier vehicles around and I think it is stupid. If I remember correctly I read somewhere that said itnis for the older carburated vehicles for the high elevation. With that said I wouldn't bother with regular gas in Colorado and stick with mid grade or higher.
Well I stayed at a friends place in Del Norte - he has a Buick with the blown 3.8l - I might add a newer Buick because he ran 85 octane in his former blown Buick and got a nice hole in a piston. Now he told me he bought a new truck, but his wife shows me the GM commercial where he bought the 2 new GMs - envoy and silverado, and she loves the pickup, , so the new truck in the garage is a Ford Platinum F series with the 6.2 liter twin turbo powerstroke - 980 lbs/ft of torque.
He was kind and told me he liked my Ranger. 980 lbs of torque - OMG.
On the Hyundai board some guy in denver posted the dealer told him 85 octane will work just fine in his 2.0T , not a question of if but when that the engine gives it up, the Hyundai Theta II engine is about as fragile as it gets when it comes to durability, they've replaced well over 250k of them.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well I stayed at a friends place in Del Norte - he has a Buick with the blown 3.8l - I might add a newer Buick because he ran 85 octane in his former blown Buick and got a nice hole in a piston. Now he told me he bought a new truck, but his wife shows me the GM commercial where he bought the 2 new GMs - envoy and silverado, and she loves the pickup, , so the new truck in the garage is a Ford Platinum F series with the 6.2 liter twin turbo powerstroke - 980 lbs/ft of torque.
He was kind and told me he liked my Ranger. 980 lbs of torque - OMG.
On the Hyundai board some guy in denver posted the dealer told him 85 octane will work just fine in his 2.0T , not a question of if but when that the engine gives it up, the Hyundai Theta II engine is about as fragile as it gets when it comes to durability, they've replaced well over 250k of them.
Lol I think you meant 6.7 Powerstroke, and its a single turbo. And I ama not suprized people in the state of Colorado are a bit uneducated about the fuels.

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Lariat, color Saber, all the bells and whistles
Occupation
Retired
✈⛽ anyone---our electronics should handle it fine and she'll run as smooth as glass and get approx 75-100mpg. However stay away from ?⛽ it may launch you into space making you circle the earth endlessly looking for a reason why this happened or just blow the engine up. Be advised I am sure there are varying opinions on this and feedback is possible.?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
✈⛽ anyone---our electronics should handle it fine and she'll run as smooth as glass and get approx 75-100mpg. However stay away from ?⛽ it may launch you into space making you circle the earth endlessly looking for a reason why this happened or just blow the engine up. Be advised I am sure there are varying opinions on this and feedback is possible.?
Actual images of car that gave RP1 a try:
roadster.jpg

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Fords flex fuel vehicles do NOT have a flex fuel sensor. They operate on fuel trims and have a switch over point. Once you hit a certain trim value with the required counts it switches over to the e85 stoich values. Which is why in the owners manual for the flex fuel vehicle it says to switch fuels once your tank is below half or more. Because it is not true "flex fuel", its more like 2 modes/calibrations it switches between.

1) Putting e85 in your non flex fuel ecoboost will not instantly blow it up. What will happen is it will peg the fuel trims to +25% or more and will eventually throw an over-threshold code.

2) ALL Ecoboost and 5.0 coyote are equipped with a wideband sensor from factory and are able to read lamda values from about .7-1.3 ( Afr 10:1-20:1 or e85 afr 6.9:1-12.8:1) and run partial closed loop at WOT. Which is why they can compensate for incorrectly putting e85 in a non factory flex car, which you should not be doing. Older efi systems with a narrow band 02 cannot adjust and will run like complete garbage with e85 unless tuned for it.

3) Fords ecu does NOT have extra timing tables for the flex fuel. What it has is a learned octane adjust ratio that is essentially spark trims. So running e85 in your FACTORY flex vehicle, the ecu will slowly add back in the timing it trimmed out for the 87 that was previously run. It would do the exact same thing if you dumped in a tank of ms109.

4) Mixing 5 gallons of e85 to 13 gal of 87 would give you about 90-91 octane and the ethanol would be about 30%. I have run e30 in a non flexfuel focus with a factory wideband, for science, and the fuel trims were about 10-12%. There is no point when e0-e10 91 is one handle over.

Last edited:

Dunedain Ranger

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL Super Cab - 2WD, 1995 Honda Accord EX Station Wagon
I've run Shell 93 in my Ranger since the free tank from the dealer got used up - love the better performance and mpg and it helps keep the engine clean.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I've run Shell 93 in my Ranger since the free tank from the dealer got used up - love the better performance and mpg and it helps keep the engine clean.
Me Too ..
Regards
Sponsored