First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well, i tow on a regular basis, 4x2 though. Check the door jamb on the ranger, see what your payload is, then do the math see what your numbers are. People, topper, luggage racks, tongue weight, plastic im stuck thingys, add it all up, and try not to go over the sticker weight. Or throw some weight in the trailer from the ranger.

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
To the OP .... an totally off topic, but, your towing about the same weight I will be and I'm curious, what kind of mpg's are you getting?

Back to the towing question, I'm towing an 1100 pound enclosed utility with about 400# added weight and in it I put a 1300# Harley TriGlide.

My trailer has torsion axle and pulls like a dream,. Longest I pulled it was about twenty miles, but they was on concrete roads, chip seal, rough frost heaved and just pot holed road. The trailer has the axel back some, but, not as far back as yours.

IMG_0382 (2).jpeg

In the above pick, the trailer was new to me and empty.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
The lighter weight is exposing the the garbage factory shocks.

This spring I pulled a U-haul car transport trailer while I was still on factory suspension. When the trailer was empty the trucks natural handling characteristics remained. Bouncy and uncontrolled just like when unloaded.

With my Jeep on the trailer everything settled in just fine and the truck handled fine.

I've yet to tow with my upgraded suspension. But given the difference unloaded I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

At a minimum some rear shocks that are better matched to our springs should go a long way towards helping you out. But while you're in there, you know, I'm just saying.

Also, nice trailer!
Thanks

Definitely looking at upgrading suspension, but want something that's going to smooth out the bumps a bit more on trails, so still researching.

Can you tell me the model no you bought

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
So just from looking at the pictures it seems the rear is loaded a bit much you think? Not just the toung weight but also the added weight in the bed and your topper. To my understanding the Smart Cap weighs around 200 lbs by itself not counting Amy accessories and that is a lot if you ask me. Chances are you are overloaded for the current suspension. Can changes be made to fix this? Absolutely but you need to be careful and chose your parts wisely.
it's parked straddling a mound. it's perfectly level on flat ground

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi Mark,

There is something weird with this picture. Is the trailer axle set back as far toward the rear as in the photo? What is in the front box of the trailer? What is in the pick up box. My first reaction is there is more going on here than the picture shows, but I suspect much more tongue weight is involved. This is where scales are needed to verify weights...not speculation or "factory Specs" for a dry weight trailer if this is the case with your trailer.... Something here is wrong.... Take it to a trailer place where they have the capability to weigh it and to your truck stop where you need to weigh the entire setup, your truck as loaded and the trailer as loaded with out the truck. I think you are overloading the truck/trailer.... JMO... Need real data....

best,
Phil
I have a WeighSafe hitch, so I can read the weight

I took it to a cart scale and havw weight on all 3 axles

Not much in the back of truck: maybe 100lbs

Box contains battery and dometic fridge (all stock from factory)

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Weight in the bed area is still applied to the toung weight believe it or not. With that said it can make a difference. If memory serves me correctly the max toung weight for a stock Ranger(no GVM upgrades) is 750 lbs. 200 taken from the trailer and 200 from the Smart Cap leaves just 350. And if more than 350 lbs is in the bed that we dont know about then that will be enough to cause overloaded suspension causing the horrible ride quality.
Interesting. Didn't realize that

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I agree with all the above opinions. It is from picture hard to tell because of the angle and the terrain, how level you setup is. It does look a little low in the back though. Without actual scale numbers as loaded it is hard to tell where your tongue weight and trailer balance is.

If you are really that light is the trailer bouncing or the truck?. Totally agree with the comments about factory shocks. I'm running Bilstiens on mine, helped alot towing and not. Trailer may also be sprung for for heavier loaded weight.
Thanks. Which Bilsteins do you have?

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
To the OP .... an totally off topic, but, your towing about the same weight I will be and I'm curious, what kind of mpg's are you getting?

Back to the towing question, I'm towing an 1100 pound enclosed utility with about 400# added weight and in it I put a 1300# Harley TriGlide.

My trailer has torsion axle and pulls like a dream,. Longest I pulled it was about twenty miles, but they was on concrete roads, chip seal, rough frost heaved and just pot holed road. The trailer has the axel back some, but, not as far back as yours.

In the above pick, the trailer was new to me and empty.
At 65mph on highway: 18.6
At 75mph on highway: 11.6

Driving slower now :)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Thanks

Definitely looking at upgrading suspension, but want something that's going to smooth out the bumps a bit more on trails, so still researching.

I did the Fox Stage one kit, coilovers up front set @ 2" of lift and rear shocks capable of supporting 1 1/2" of lift, paired with the global Ranger leaf packs which raised my rear about 5/8"s.

I've been very happy with my setup for road usage and light trails but have yet to tow with it. However, by comparing stock vs modified while unhitched I'm sure it'll be a vast improvement.

If you're looking for standalone shocks for the rear I've read great things about the Eibachs and Bilsteins.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks

I can help with this. Chances are Old Man EMU wpuld.be your friend here. I will message you with more info soon

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
that thing looks dangerous.
how did health and safety approve that??
Hi RP,

That is why it is displayed up on top of the bookcase....

best,
Phil

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
My opinion...the bouncy, jarring problem lies with the trailer and it's light weight.
Ever tow an empty flatbed utility trailer at speed ? With every bump in the road it bounces like crazy, pulling and jerking the hitch, which transfers to the truck.
Now, load the same trailer with some weight near its capacity, and it will smooth out. May still bounce a bit, but nowhere near the jarring that the empty trailer does.
I looked at the specs on your trailer, and no way is it close to the capacity of the Ranger. I could safely tow that trailer behind my Subaru Crosstrek with no problem, and it's only 150 hp with a 5 speed.

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yeah, I suspect that it's a combination of the light, unloaded trailer and weight imbalance.

50020510593_dd401bfd10.jpg
0615201313 by Nate, on Flickr

My trailer is similarly-sized, if a little lighter. The last time I had it weighed (loaded), it was 1400lbs with a 200lb tongue weight.

I probably ought to weigh again, as I've been changing some things. I swapped the AGM battery for a lithium (tongue box) and added a Dometic fridge and slide to the galley in back. I'll wait until I'm done with the changes, though. I think I'm going to move the spare tire to the tongue (it's currently mounted underneath the rear of the trailer) and also change up the wheels and tires (and fenders). I'll weigh it after I do all that stuff.

Anyway, the short of it is that when it's unloaded, I definitely feel more bounce than when it's loaded. I also don't have the FX4 suspension. Vanilla 4x4 for me, and I think it's a bit firmer. It's a little floaty back there occasionally, and I think I need a ball mount with more drop to level the trailer better. My trailer suspension is just un-damped leaf springs.
Sponsored