RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, after the shaving and cutting with the table saw, the edges were pretty rough.

A friend had a type of paint scraper, with a sharp blade I use to scrap the flashing off them. The blade was curved so you pulled it to scrape the plastic. i.e. with your fingers straight out, then curve them towards your palm type of hook. I have no idea where he got the blade. Then I used sandpaper wrapped around a 1x2 piece of wood to smooth the edges and round the ends. Just enough to smooth things out.

The belt sander that I used was one of those 10,000 rpm types at a friend's shop. I had to be real careful or it would go right thru the scuff plate and your fingers. I imagine you could also use a grinder with a wire wheel.

Rubbing alcohol on a rag to clean them up and put on the adhesive tape.

I did do a dry run and used the blue painters tape to outline the scuff plate to keep things straight and in place.

Hope this helps.
I ordered two last night - will let you know how it turns out once I get them.

Thanks again.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what mine came out looking like. I'm pretty happy with how they look - almost factory I think. For $30 or so and a few minutes of cutting, I think they turned out well. I think they will be more durable than the stick on kind and they are cheaper than the metal ones.

20190623_151950.jpg

Thank you for posting this! I'm not sure if I will do the rears as well (don't have too many people get in the back seat), but I'm really glad the front sills are now protected.

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Here is what mine came out looking like. I'm pretty happy with how they look - almost factory I think. For $30 or so and a few minutes of cutting, I think they turned out well. I think they will be more durable than the stick on kind and they are cheaper than the metal ones.

20190623_151950.jpg

Thank you for posting this! I'm not sure if I will do the rears as well (don't have too many people get in the back seat), but I'm really glad the front sills are now protected.
RedlandRanger,
They look great. Actually a much cleaner job than I did.
This is why I posted this so others could do this.
I just put them in my rear door sills today.

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT

20190623_151950.jpg

As a side note, you can use a "3M 03612 Adhesive Eraser Wheel" in a cordless drill to remove the tape adhesive from the door sill if you need to remove the scuff plates at a later time. Amazon has them.

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
Its too bad my 40k truck didn't come standard with these. It would not have stopped my five pound hammer from denting the sill but at least I would not have a dent and missing paint.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Its too bad my 40k truck didn't come standard with these. It would not have stopped my five pound hammer from denting the sill but at least I would not have a dent and missing paint.
LOL. Did the hammer slip out of your pocket?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I am so impressed with the appearance mods people create for their Ranger. many make their vehicle unique! Kudos!!!!

I will keep mine as delivered but for the Replacement tow hooks, which I fabricated as I like the look
These twist in to my tow bar base plate brackets from Roadmaster in place of the OEM brackets. Love the lathe and welding results. My hobbies after RETIREMENT,

Bbest,
PhilSchilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

20190511_101147-2.jpg

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
My solution to missing door sill scuff plates.

I found this forum before I ordered my 2019 Ranger.

Thanks to this forum I spent a lot of money before delivery on items posted in this forum.

But after delivery I also noticed that there were not any door sill scuff plates. I did not like the stainless steel factory jobs nor the aftermarket ones that go below the door sills.

Since I sold my 2008 Ranger for this 2019, I remembered that it had really cool sill scuff plates.

Looking up the part numbers on Ford Dealer parts pages the part numbers never matched the parts pictures displayed.

I found the scuff plates here. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-scuff-plate-f37z1013260a

Part Number F37Z-1013260-A. They fit either right or left.

The material is pretty close to the Weather Tech mat material. Some type of vinyl rubber/plastic.

My 2008 Ranger was a 4 door extra cab so the scuff plate was close to 4 feet long which is too long for the super crew 2019. So I ordered the scuff plate for the 2008 Ranger 2-Door. The scuff plate was about 33 inches long.

I used a table saw to trim the width, about 1/8" on each side, and cut off each end to make the length about 21 inches. I used a belt grinder to remove the 6 tabs off the back that were obviously for securing it to the door sill on the 2008 Ranger.

From the parts diagram on Tasca Parts you can see a facsimile of the tabs.

Once done, I mounted the scuff plates with double sided tape. The foam style, not the thin stuff. Hopefully this will hold up for several years. If not, renewing the tape will be easy.

The picture shown here is the front drivers side. I'll get two more of them for the back doors. The rear doors are smaller so I'll need to trim even more off the plates.

Sill 1.jpg
Now that’s a quality scuff plate!. They certainly don't make things like they did in the old days. Now we get “Putco” aftermarket scuff plates and battery operated keypads. WHY Ford!

But a very ingenious idea, looks more factory. I may have to borrow this idea from you. Thanks for sharing. :like:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now that’s a quality scuff plate!. They certainly don't make things like they did in the old days. Now we get “Putco” aftermarket scuff plates and battery operated keypads. WHY Ford!

But a very ingenious idea, looks more factory. I may have to borrow this idea from you. Thanks for sharing. :like:
It is a very ingenious idea - I was skeptical as to how the cut edges would look, but they really cleaned up well I think. I'm very happy with this solution. Thanks @PJVet !!!

tgRanger

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford F-150 Lariat, 1988 Mustang GT, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Vehicle Showcase
It is a very ingenious idea - I was skeptical as to how the cut edges would look, but they really cleaned up well I think. I'm very happy with this solution. Thanks @PJVet !!!
Very nice! They look pretty thick too I’m surprised you didn’t have any clearance issues. Did you cut yours a little longer? Looks like it goes further in towards the door. Both great Jobs!

And btw, Tasca Ford is one of the best online places to buy Ford parts. Ive been buying from them probably 15 years now, they have the best customer service, prices, fast shipping and I never received a screwed up order.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice! They look pretty thick too I’m surprised you didn’t have any clearance issues. Did you cut yours a little longer? Looks like it goes further in towards the door. Both great Jobs!

And btw, Tasca Ford is one of the best online places to buy Ford parts. Ive been buying from them probably 15 years now, they have the best customer service, prices, fast shipping and I never received a screwed up order.
I'd guess the pieces are 1/8" thick or so - no clearance issues at all. I don't know if cut mine longer or not - I just kind of gauged by the flat spot of the sill. I think I cut something like 3 3/4" off each end and then about 1/8" off each side.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are on the way. I'm thinking of rounding over the edges with a small round-over bit on the router. Going to try it on a scrap piece to see how the plastic reacts. I'll post the results when I finish.

PJVet

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I'm glad you guys liked the idea. That is what this forum is for. I can't tell you how much money we, ok "I" have spent from the ideas here. Raptor grille, auto start/stop, scuff plates, etc.
I had a 2008 Ranger with these scuff plates and liked them, so I adapted them for my 2019.
Yes, I agree, Tasca is the best place for parts.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are on the way. I'm thinking of rounding over the edges with a small round-over bit on the router. Going to try it on a scrap piece to see how the plastic reacts. I'll post the results when I finish.
I tried to round over the edge with my router, even with it turned down to 16,000 rpm, it melted too much for my liking and clean-up would be ridiculous. I just trimmed like the others, bought two 3M adhesive promoter pads ($3 each) and roughed up the back surface of the sill guard. Install was quick and easy. Now, to update my signature with "old school Ranger door sill mod"
Sponsored