Opinions on these Catch Can hose cracks?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
IMG_20220114_130139_0CS.jpg
IMG_20220114_130143.jpg

These are the hoses for the Mishimoto Catch Can I put in last spring. I don't know if you can see the cracking that has started but it has me concerned I will need to change them out in the future. Is there any way to slow down this process, or has anyone ever had to remove these hoses?
Sponsored

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Have you reached out to Mishimoto?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
You'll need to replace them eventually obviously, but you can slow it down by applying silicone lubricant. Rubber loves silicone. I use it to clean and keep my door weather seals fresh.

Although I wouldn't be overly concerned. If the hoses still feel like rubber and are pliable then the rubber compound is still doing it's job.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Superficial cracks. They are not under any real pressure. If they are pliable, really no big concern.
Spray with silicone and carry on.
If it were a high pressure situation or a failure would be catastrophic, then certainly a concern. In this application not a major catastrophe if they fail and in all likelihood they are not in danger of failure.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Looks like a poor choice of materials. Who knows what’s it’s like on the inside.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
UPR uses continental hoses, they appear to be high quality, better be because the last thing I want to do ever is to f*ck around changing those hoses, take those cans and shove them.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
thats garbage....yes you will be changing them at some point.
thats pretty short on the life expectancy.
Agreed. You usually don't see that sort of thing until hoses are 7-10 years old. For them to be doing this in under a year is not acceptable.

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPR uses continental hoses, they appear to be high quality, better be because the last thing I want to do ever is to f*ck around changing those hoses, take those cans and shove them.
I kept the stock hose just in case, and it will be returned to stock instead of simply replacing a defective hose. Hopefully if the locking tab releases the hose will pop loose from the fitting. Still a PITA, no matter how you look at it.

Superficial cracks. They are not under any real pressure. If they are pliable, really no big concern.
Spray with silicone and carry on.
If it were a high pressure situation or a failure would be catastrophic, then certainly a concern. In this application not a major catastrophe if they fail and in all likelihood they are not in danger of failure.
Stupid question maybe, but hey that's my wheelhouse...is 303 UV protectant what you mean?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Here is something I learned while making my own catchcan. The fuel line hoses that most if not all kits come with are not the PYFE lined type. That gas smell some might notice is the fuel permeating through the hose. In essence it is out gassing. Cracking is another issue as OP has displayed.

I went with lined fuel hoses. They do make connectors now for the snap clip fittings that attach to the breather plate on the block. AN type fittings allow you to connect this type of hose. Fair warning, it does not seal properly over barbed fittings. I used the factory fittings and heated the ID of my hose with cartridge heaters to 350F and the PTFE liner softens enough to put the barbed fitting on and then use a spring clamp. No fuel smell and no cracks!

melficeapoll

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RN
Same thing happened to my hoses, except they were much worse looking. 6 months old. Mishi covered it under warranty, just had to pay shipping for the replacement hoses. Was an easy process, took maybe a week. But holy crap was removing and replacing the hoses a huge pain in the ass.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Okay...welcome to the aftermarket...there is little long range testing on components and this is a prime example of using inferior, untested hoses... Seen this time and time again.

best,
Phil

OP
OP
puckdodger

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing happened to my hoses, except they were much worse looking. 6 months old. Mishi covered it under warranty, just had to pay shipping for the replacement hoses. Was an easy process, took maybe a week. But holy crap was removing and replacing the hoses a huge pain in the ass.
I don't think I will be replacing them, just returning to stock when the weather gets above freezing?.

I talked to Mishi and they will stand behind their product and send some new hoses but the difficulty to do this on a yearly basis is beyond my desire to keep a clean valve train.

TheBadger

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 STX Crew 4×4
Occupation
Union Pipefitter
Plus 1 for UPR. Quality hoses. Check valves. Drain line. And a sweet stars n stripes UPR logo sticker!
Sponsored