One Piece Driveshaft

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
WHAT'S THE ADVANTAGE OF THE ONE PIECE OTHER THAN LESS UNIES TO REPLACE
Quite a few of us experienced vibration at takeoff and/or at higher speeds. This is pretty much the only available solution outside of the dealer and Ford who will just swap you out to another 2-piece.
Sponsored

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Quite a few of us experienced vibration at takeoff and/or at higher speeds. This is pretty much the only available solution outside of the dealer and Ford who will just swap you out to another 2-piece.
OKAY, THANKS FOR THE ADVICE

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech
My 2022 also has the takeoff shudder. Had it into the dealer for the TSB for the pinion shim. I measured the angle before taking it in 6.10Âș. After I got it back they said they used a 1.5Âș shim because the measured 7Âș before the shim was installed and said they saw 5Âș after. Keep in mind they used the analog measuring device the TSB said not to use. Picked up the truck and still had shudder so measured again when I got home and saw 7.6Âș. They put the shim in backwards. Took it back for them to fix and when I picked it up they said still had vibration but they disagreed about putting the shim in backwards. The tech said the instructions are wrong and that the wide end should be to the back when decreasing angle. He switched the 1.5 out for a 2.0. Measured at home and I saw 8.1Âș. Sent the service manager a pic of my measurement and he said bring it in and we will compare measuring devices. I took the truck back again, at this point it was the forth visit and they put it up on their alignment rack. The tech got out his analog unit and said it was hard to read. I handed him mine he zeroed on frame and then flipped it 180Âș and measured the pinion and said "see we have 5.75Âș". I told him zero the inclination meter and not flip it 180Âș and let me know what you see. He did and couldn't understand why he now saw 8.1. I explained when he zeroed and rotated it 180Âș he was subtracting the rake of the truck. He slapped his forhead and said crap we were doing it wrong and will need to replace again and rotate the shim like the instructions. After waiting for more u-bolts the fifth visit they got the angle at 5.1Âș using a 1.0 shim but still have the shudder. All shims the shudder felt the same as stock. Next they swapped the carrier bearing. No change. I have measured my driveline angles as Dana/Spicer website shows and entered my numbers into their calculator. No wonder the trucks vibrate. The angle at the transfer case is 2Âș less than the angle at the rear axle. Should be the opposite due to axle wrap tilting the pinion up when taking off and applying power. The only way I see fixing this is by shimming the carrier bearing to get the angles correct. Sorry for the long post but been through a lot and the dealer pretty much is saying it's normal because the one on their lot also vibrates. Good sample size huh? ;)

Cg32

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Sales Leadership
My 2022 also has the takeoff shudder. Had it into the dealer for the TSB for the pinion shim. I measured the angle before taking it in 6.10Âș. After I got it back they said they used a 1.5Âș shim because the measured 7Âș before the shim was installed and said they saw 5Âș after. Keep in mind they used the analog measuring device the TSB said not to use. Picked up the truck and still had shudder so measured again when I got home and saw 7.6Âș. They put the shim in backwards. Took it back for them to fix and when I picked it up they said still had vibration but they disagreed about putting the shim in backwards. The tech said the instructions are wrong and that the wide end should be to the back when decreasing angle. He switched the 1.5 out for a 2.0. Measured at home and I saw 8.1Âș. Sent the service manager a pic of my measurement and he said bring it in and we will compare measuring devices. I took the truck back again, at this point it was the forth visit and they put it up on their alignment rack. The tech got out his analog unit and said it was hard to read. I handed him mine he zeroed on frame and then flipped it 180Âș and measured the pinion and said "see we have 5.75Âș". I told him zero the inclination meter and not flip it 180Âș and let me know what you see. He did and couldn't understand why he now saw 8.1. I explained when he zeroed and rotated it 180Âș he was subtracting the rake of the truck. He slapped his forhead and said crap we were doing it wrong and will need to replace again and rotate the shim like the instructions. After waiting for more u-bolts the fifth visit they got the angle at 5.1Âș using a 1.0 shim but still have the shudder. All shims the shudder felt the same as stock. Next they swapped the carrier bearing. No change. I have measured my driveline angles as Dana/Spicer website shows and entered my numbers into their calculator. No wonder the trucks vibrate. The angle at the transfer case is 2Âș less than the angle at the rear axle. Should be the opposite due to axle wrap tilting the pinion up when taking off and applying power. The only way I see fixing this is by shimming the carrier bearing to get the angles correct. Sorry for the long post but been through a lot and the dealer pretty much is saying it's normal because the one on their lot also vibrates. Good sample size huh? ;)
I have been thinking of shimming my carrier as well but can’t find a kit available. I had a significant decrease in shudder when I had my icon leafs installed and it feels that with just a bit more tweaking, it would be gone completely. I am trying to figure out a good way to shim without potentially causing any issues and remaining reliable since I routinely drive two hours one way at 75-80 mph through the middle of nowhere . ( yes that’s the speed limit in some areas ofTexas) :)

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Sorry for the long post but been through a lot and the dealer pretty much is saying it's normal because the one on their lot also vibrates. Good sample size huh? ;)
I feel your pain.

Been there, done that, went solid shaft - all gone. And transmission bizarre shift behavior cleared up as well.

I hope you have better success than I had. Sounds like you have a good handle on the cause of the issue.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Would this help at all? Drop the rear axle some?
https://blog.bds-suspension.com/?p=18539

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
For testing, I lowered the carrier bearing, then I flipped the carrier bearing and installed spacers and long bolts so I could raise it up, I was cycling through various angles on both front and rear shafts, I found a sweet spot, but then I had to take it into the dealer so I put it back to stock.

Then I was going to get a global carrier bearing which is mounted higher from the factory, but now I am just driving it, kinda tired of crawling underneath the truck, I can't find the perfect spot, now it's great no vibration...... until I load more than about 600 lbs, then it vibrates.

I think I found a shop that will build me a one piece shaft for a Tremor, but I have to be without the rear driveshaft for a week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323188827214

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
If you guys read through the threads about driveline take-off shudder and vibration you may find trying to achieve the proper angles on your driveshaft will not cure the issue. The problem seems to be more rooted in the soft support material around the driveshaft center bearing (some may call it a carrier bearing). I was one of the people who put a one piece driveshaft on my Ranger and the related problems are gone.

I was able to escalate my truck's issue to get attention by an FSE (field service engineer) luckily via a family member that works for Ford. The FSE reported after working with the local Ford tech that my truck's shudder was mild and was the best it would probably get. The story is much longer but for the sake of keeping brief I summarized. At that point I did my research and got a one piece driveshaft.

Last edited:

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
A 1 inch increase in rear height would actually take the driveline numbers the wrong direction according to Dana driveline calculator. The rear needs to drop to lower the driveshaft angle a couple degrees.
I thought a shackle lift lowers the axle and leaf away from the body, resulting the in body being raised higher?

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
For testing, I lowered the carrier bearing, then I flipped the carrier bearing and installed spacers and long bolts so I could raise it up, I was cycling through various angles on both front and rear shafts, I found a sweet spot, but then I had to take it into the dealer so I put it back to stock.

Then I was going to get a global carrier bearing which is mounted higher from the factory, but now I am just driving it, kinda tired of crawling underneath the truck, I can't find the perfect spot, now it's great no vibration...... until I load more than about 600 lbs, then it vibrates.

I think I found a shop that will build me a one piece shaft for a Tremor, but I have to be without the rear driveshaft for a week.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323188827214

Tom Woods can make you a shaft and figured all the issues out and all you need to do is a simple measurement and he can make you a shaft

Reactions: TJC

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Tom Woods can make you a shaft and figured all the issues out and all you need to do is a simple measurement and he can make you a shaft

He does not make a shaft for Tremors.

Reactions: EJH