First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I've been waiting for them to be in stock. Now that they have them they increased the price more than $100. With shipping it's probably $800. Screw'em. My local shop is a lot cheaper and no shipping cost.
Quoted from Tom Woods page...
Free UPS Ground shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states on any order over $200. $10 shipping on orders less than $200

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Quoted from Tom Woods page...
Free UPS Ground shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states on any order over $200. $10 shipping on orders less than $200
All I saw was "shipping calculated at checkout". I didn't go any further. Even with free shipping I don't think it's worth it. Local shop will mod mine for $300.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I just ordered from Tom Woods. $699, shipped. As they have already done some development versions of this shaft with other members of this forum, I'm happy to order from them. Can't wait to get it installed!

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
What I am curious about is how this compared to the Tremor driveshaft with the CV joint at the pumpkin.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It still has me baffled why Ford would do a 2 piece shaft that costs way more than a 1 piece.

Additionally, the stock shafts are not phased. Another head scratch. There is more going on here than what meets the eye.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
It still has me baffled why Ford would do a 2 piece shaft that costs way more than a 1 piece.

Additionally, the stock shafts are not phased. Another head scratch. There is more going on here than what meets the eye.
Bad design? It has higher speed/rpm potential than a one piece? If I plug my tire size and rear gears into the calculator at 100mph I'm over the 4000rpm limit of that driveshaft unless I'm misreading it.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
@P. A. Schilke talked about the one piece versus 2 in a thread awhile back , but i cant remember the reasoning , im interested also as mine is clunking from somewhere and that seems to be the bad guy , feels like i get tapped in the rear at a stoplight sometimes , i guess i should try lubing the slip joint first , dealer wouldn't do it...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Could it be a move to hit a target number for breakover angle?

@P. A. Schilke talked about the one piece versus 2 in a thread awhile back , but i cant remember the reasoning , im interested also as mine is clunking from somewhere and that seems to be the bad guy , feels like i get tapped in the rear at a stoplight sometimes , i guess i should try lubing the slip joint first , dealer wouldn't do it...
Slip joint I'm virtually positive. Sounds like you need to lube her up.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Im on Vacation this week , i guess i will mark that off the list , bullcrap that the dealer wouldnt ...
I bought this kit, which is in a TSB, for the F-150 slip joint clunk. So far this grease has lasted, on my Ranger, the longest without clunking. I cleaned out the parts of the slip joint with surgical precision and put the new grease in and secured the boot. I gave up with the dealer and did it myself.

I cross referenced the grease in the kit from the Ford part number and it is Tribogel pa6110lcs. I had no luck trying to purchase it directly.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/9l3z4w602a.html

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Rick,

The reason for a two piece shaft, which is more costly is due to what we call critical speed of the driveshaft... Critical speed is where the driveshaft ends up like a jump rope. Not visible but it takes its toll on the transmission tailshaft, the U Joints and the pinion bearing in the rear axle. We had single piece shafts in the Econoline LWB...they were aluminum and 5.5" diameter...not packagable in Ranger... And with the aluminum dedicated the F150... likely there is a cost factor too....

Best,
Phil
Sponsored