First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
I'm just covering myself. If the level is above the high dot, its not supposed to be per manual. I won't give ford an excuse to try to blame this on me. Eff them.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I'm just covering myself. If the level is above the high dot, its not supposed to be per manual. I won't give ford an excuse to try to blame this on me. Eff them.
I had my dealer document my rising oil problem. Now I just drive it and don't obsess about it. I change the oil more frequently (every 4k - 5k) than I ordinarily would , but that is not a big deal to me. I also learned that a longer highway trip (as opposed to short city trips) will bring the oil level back down some. Chill and enjoy your Ranger. Otherwise, like Greg said, you are going to drive yourself crazy and you will ruin your ownership experience.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
just dropped off to address the vibes from a stop- they are applying the tsb- the thunk when coming to a stop/leaving a stop, and the making oil issue. they need me to pay them for an oil change. i get it. talked with the general manager- he overheard me talking to the service writer. anyhow, my complaint is rising oil level, not lowering and i made that clear. but they need to do it so that they can then take it to ford. so fiona gets another oil change, 600 miles later. the service writer was like "you know it takes 6.2 not 6.0 quarts..." smfh. How can the oil be higher with 6 quarts as opposed to 6.2? had to talk slower and more clearly the second time to make sure he got what i was saying...

they did finally get me a loaner and they had a quick meeting to see if they could get al the work done while i have the loaner over next 4 days. vibe tsb == 1 hour, lube the shaft == 1 hour, oil change. Seems like they should unless the tsb does not fix the vibes or the thunk isn't fixed... we shall see.

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
well i got the truck back. same day. i suppose me hogging up their loaner and the GM getting involved helped. the service manager was highly engaged in attempting to solve the vibe from a stop and the thunking. So I applaud him on that. The thunking has to wait till they get the prop shaft grease/clamp in but they applied the rear axle pinion tsb. seems to have helped. vibe is still there i think but i need to take it on a good drive to really see. the oil level was spot on and i could tell it was changed. no mess though under truck and no issues with the filter flap. so they did a pro job for that. i will update and see how my level goes over the next so many weeks. they used motorcraft 5w30 and fl900s filter as i recall reading on the sheet.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
well i got the truck back. same day. i suppose me hogging up their loaner and the GM getting involved helped. the service manager was highly engaged in attempting to solve the vibe from a stop and the thunking. So I applaud him on that. The thunking has to wait till they get the prop shaft grease/clamp in but they applied the rear axle pinion tsb. seems to have helped. vibe is still there i think but i need to take it on a good drive to really see. the oil level was spot on and i could tell it was changed. no mess though under truck and no issues with the filter flap. so they did a pro job for that. i will update and see how my level goes over the next so many weeks. they used motorcraft 5w30 and fl900s filter as i recall reading on the sheet.
What has been their response so far with the rising oil? Did they do anything at all other than convince you to pay for a premature oil change? Are they planning on doing anything going forward (such as having you bring it in after XXX miles so they can verify the rise)?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
What has been their response so far with the rising oil? Did they do anything at all other than convince you to pay for a premature oil change? Are they planning on doing anything going forward (such as having you bring it in after XXX miles so they can verify the rise)?
so they said i had to have the oil changed, by them, in order for ford to proceed with next steps, if any. Their logic was that they can't tell ford what exactly i put in- though i have receites and everything but that's not enough according to the general and service managers. They said if the level hits the top dot, let them know. I suppose they want to be sure the customer is doing it right and not putting in something they are not supposed to- different weights etc.... I understand the logic. so i paid the $44.

If it turns out that there is a problem that is warranty-able, i will push for them to pay me this money back. He mentioned i'd have to pay for a couple oil changes and i didn't say anything but to me, i just paid for one. If it rises up to the dot and past, there is a problem, unless they are chalking it up to break-in. But i am now up to just shy of 4500 miles. You'd think it would be broken in by now.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Quit checking your oil level so much,drive it and enjoy it it’s under warranty,you Need to drive it hard every now and then,especially in winter time,my level creeps up if I just baby it around.
i was just like you,checking the level a lot,I just put in 6 quarts of oil,Mobil 1 full synthetic,and I change my oil every 3000 miles,I know I could go more miles,but that’s how I’m going to do it

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
,I just put in 6 quarts of oil,Mobil 1 full synthetic,and I change my oil every 3000 miles,I know I could go more miles,but that’s how I’m going to do it
Since Ford is refusing to do anything about this issue, I am forced to change my oil much sooner than recommended (and incur additional costs) until I can unload this POS for something else. Unfortunately, with the supply chain issues, I likely am stuck with this thing for at least another year.

If the Tacoma isn't out then, I may consider the new 2.7 turbo 2023 Chevy Colorado, oh wait, direct injection turbo too. One thing is for sure, I will never buy another Ford.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Lets focus on some real problems, like...
What is an acceptable # of pebbles in the tire grooves, per tire ?
Or, how many parts per million is an acceptable # for dust to have seeped into the covered bed of your Ranger ?
You STOP at a STOP sign, and wonder why there is no GO sign.
We have a summer gas and a winter gas....why no spring or fall gas ?
Change your oil every 3-4000 miles and just drive your truck !!!

Last edited:

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Must be bad luck for some. Towed 5300lbs for 3000km + to Alberta, city driving etc and oil level hasn’t changed at all. Did an oil change and just shy of 6q came out

SkyLord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I unfortunately get my oil changed at Ford. It’s some 100k powertrain warranty thing. I ask a lot of questions and I’m very skeptical of others work on my car. I have always done my own maintenance, so this is a bit weird for me. The tech told me he puts in exactly 6.2 quarts. I asked why, because that’s the exact volume it can hold and be in a normal range. He claimed it called for it in his work statement and that it is always right on the money. I checked his work and he was right. It’s stayed there. My other cars/trucks have always kept a little oil and needed a little finesse to get the level perfect. He may be full of it, but seems like that’s what others are posting. The reading took like 5-8 pull outs on the dip stick and wipe offs before the filler tube run down finally stopped being a problem and I could get a good read. My F150 was the same way. Kind of a bummer. Transmission oil level is like 100 times worse. I must of added and took out three quarts before I had it right on that F150 after a filter change. That service was $550 at the dealer. Cost me about $80-90 to do myself. Pro tip, get a temp gun at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. I’m sure the Ranger is the same way.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Yeah, the dealerships like to charge a little to much. There’s making profit and paying the bills and then there is gauging the customers.
I just had my tranny done at a shop for $140 total supplying my own oil.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I wonder if driving hard actually helps with dilution. My break in was hard, I drove it hard and after a few hundred miles took it to redline often, and still do. I've been lucky and havn't had any issues with dilution, my Type R on the other hand.. Sheesh that thing had gallons of gas in the oil lol. I think the subaru guys say a redline a day keeps the mechanics away

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
I wonder if driving hard actually helps with dilution. My break in was hard, I drove it hard and after a few hundred miles took it to redline often, and still do. I've been lucky and havn't had any issues with dilution, my Type R on the other hand.. Sheesh that thing had gallons of gas in the oil lol. I think the subaru guys say a redline a day keeps the mechanics away
When I was posting about my issues,a number of guys told me to drive it hard,take it to 6000 rpm,my oil level was right on the top hole,after 1000 miles or so and driving it hard it went down 1/4 of a inch,sent in oil sample to blackstone,only a trace of fuel
Sponsored